Pulled the trigger on a Dolphin M500

AO, I would be curious to determine what was your "bad purchase"? Just your experience - good luck w your robot and let us know how it does?
My bad purchase was a Polaris 825, a Leslie's exclusive. I was led to believe it was a "smart" robot that would map the pool but in fact was an aimless wanderer! I didn't do enough research like I should have. In the end Leslie's stood tall and gave me a complete refund, Kudos to them!
i just did a complete review on my first day with the M500, but my computer deleted it so I killed the computer, doing this on my phone. May or may not redo the review... If and when I replace the computer!
Scott

I've decided to go with a Dolphin 500 instead of an in-floor Paramount system. My pool is being built as I write. My pool builder has quoted me a price of $2550 for the Dolphin Premier 500 including the robot, pump, and electrical hookup. This seems like an awful lot to me -- I see the price of the Dolphin Premier 500 as low as $1150 on Pool Supply World. Does it really cost over $1,000 to put in the electrical for this robot -- considering electric is going to be run to the pool area anyway? Please advise.

Thanks!

Bonnie

I am 1400 feet from Cypress Creek, but only 600 feet from Cypress Lake. Right now, they are one and the same. Probably closer to more like 550 feet from the lake at the moment.

Think of the people that border up to the creek w pools? That's a complete overhaul, but their homes are far more the issue at this point...Can't imagine all the reptiles that are going to be in those homes to get to higher grd on a temp basis...God Bless them.

I've decided to go with a Dolphin 500 instead of an in-floor Paramount system. My pool is being built as I write. My pool builder has quoted me a price of $2550 for the Dolphin Premier 500 including the robot, pump, and electrical hookup. This seems like an awful lot to me -- I see the price of the Dolphin Premier 500 as low as $1150 on Pool Supply World. Does it really cost over $1,000 to put in the electrical for this robot -- considering electric is going to be run to the pool area anyway? Please advise.

Thanks
Bonnie

My Dolphin M500 was $1350 plus tax, it plugs into a standard wall outlet!

Thanks!

Bonnie

Bonnie, I do not have a Dolphin nor know much about it. But, you can prob find the operation manual on-line and it should have all the power requirements, the do's and the don'ts. If it requires a simple 110 outlet, a grand seems pretty pricy for a 20amp GCFI breaker, some gray conduit, wiring and a gcfi outdoor outlet. How far is your pool from your house? If the electrical was already run, buried and terminated, and it's a long run and you need additional permits, trenching, etc. then maybe...

*****UPDATE***** AO just answered your question...std 110 outlet. $1000 electrical: "Danger Mr. Robinson, there's an thief here in outer-space". :)

Okay here is a YouTube of the flooding near our neighborhood, by a neighbor with a drone. He is a professional photographer apparently. This was taken Monday. Today it is much worse. The waterfall is Cypress Creek pouring into Cypress Lake. Our neighborhood is built up high, which is why I had only the worms to deal with. Not sure where they came from. We also had a big ball of red ants threshing around in the pool. Had to turn the pump on high and skim them up. I don't like ants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGR1Fnc8bsA

The pool is pretty far from the house, but the electrical hasn't been run yet -- and the electrical is included in the pool price. If all I need is an outlet to run the Dolphin, than the price I'm being quoted is outrageous. Danger Will Robinson is right. I'm going to email my PB and find out what's up with the outrageous cost for the Dolphin. BTW, what media do you recommend for the Dolphin? From what I can tell, you have a choice of different cleaning media....

This list is a Godsend!

The pool is pretty far from the house, but the electrical hasn't been run yet -- and the electrical is included in the pool price. If all I need is an outlet to run the Dolphin, than the price I'm being quoted is outrageous. Danger Will Robinson is right. I'm going to email my PB and find out what's up with the outrageous cost for the Dolphin. BTW, what media do you recommend for the Dolphin? From what I can tell, you have a choice of different cleaning media....

This list is a Godsend!

You said builder quoted for M500, pump, and electrical. If this is for your main pool pump then great price. As said before - the m500 doesn't need a pump. A GFCI typical outlet within ~65' max to furthest point the robot needs to get to in your pool. You have to buy the M500 from a brick and mortar store for 3 year warranty to be valid. Ask your builder what he would charge to just run the outlet to area you want it and what the cost per foot is from where they have to tap into. Give s you a cleaner cost quote. Then buy your robot at a store that way you can take it there for repair if warranty work is needed. Builder probably doesn't deal with warranty work on robot anyway.

Thanks people with the replies about voltage. I realise that I would probably not have any warranty if I go this route.

My next question is where in the U.S. would be the cheapest place to buy one, and would I be able to buy it tax free?

Why is my signature not showing?

Cheers,
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bonnie, Dax made a good point, if "the pump" pertains to your main pool pump, but, I would want to know the pump make & model? If it's a 3HP VSP, and the Dolphin & the electrical run is far, then that's a good deal. Have him line-item each of the 3 things for you: pump m&model, dolphin m&model & all electrical wk for dolphin.

Good drone video Mark. I would also have him do one now, and then 2 weeks later so all can get the perspective...good luck out there...more rain on the way now

My pool equipment info is as follows: 22X42, 680 sq. ft, free form, pebble sheen, Pentair Clean & Clear, Pentair IntelliFlo 3hp, Intellichlor, Pentair 3,000 BTU Heat Pump, Globate LEDs.

The PB told me today that he can only get the Dolphin Edge. I don't understand why he can't get the Premier 500, but this was a quick email exchange and I need more information. The cost for the pool build includes all electrical, the pump, filter -- all equipment. I was originally going to go with a Paramount in-floor system for cleaning, but have become convinced that a Dolphin Premier 500 is the better choice. However, I don't think I should have to pay $2500 for it -- when all that's involved is the Dolphin itself and an extra electrical outlet at the pool (when electrical is being run out to the pool anyway, and is included in the cost of the pool build). So, at most, I should only have to pay extra for an extra outlet, correct?

Thanks!
Bonnie

Bonnie, Dax made a good point, if "the pump" pertains to your main pool pump, but, I would want to know the pump make & model? If it's a 3HP VSP, and the Dolphin & the electrical run is far, then that's a good deal. Have him line-item each of the 3 things for you: pump m&model, dolphin m&model & all electrical wk for dolphin.

Good drone video Mark. I would also have him do one now, and then 2 weeks later so all can get the perspective...good luck out there...more rain on the way now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.