Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine

Is there a way to tell what percent liquid chlorine is? The pool store (which I hate to buy from) has nothing but high school kids working there and when I ask what % it is I got an answer of 47%. . Needless to say no one ever gave me the correct answer so I am wanting to test it myself. Also is $6 for 2.5 gals high for liquid chlorine. I know it probably depends on the strength. I am paying $2.54 for 1.3 gals of 6% now. Thanks for your help
    24' AG, 52" wall ,resin with 1Hp pentair pump with sand dollar sand filter. Hayward aquatrol salt generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine

I buy it at 12.5% from the pool store. Its a bit more concentrated is all. $6 for that concentration is high. I paid $5 for mine this year at that concentration and that is why I buy it. Its a bit more concentrated for just about the same price. Basically it still does the same thing, its just a higher dose is all.

Hope that helps.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

3. Back To Top    #3

It ought to be labeled, if you can look at the package yourself.
    $6 for 2.5 gal where I am is cheap for 6%, very cheap for 10%.
    $2.54 for 1.3 gal of 6% is between those two. So, assuming the pool store's chlorine is 10%, you're better off buying it there.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Easy way to tell the strength is to add 1 gal per 10k gal of pool water. It will raise the FC by approx the strength of the chlorine. So if you have a 20k gal pool you want to add 2 gal, Test the water before adding and after and subtract the first test results from the second and you will have the approx chlorine strength!

5. Back To Top    #5

The % is on th label.

I pay $4.38 for 2.5 gal of 10.5% so it would not be a savings for me to buy the 6% clorox at Walmart.
    30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls