New house, New-to-me pool, new adventure!

Mar 10, 2016
South Bend, IN
Greetings all!

Oh how happy I am to have found this forum. I have been visiting religiously for about a month now reading for upwards of 1-2 hours a day, much of it on Pool School and through the other "new pool owner" type of threads. I feel like I am coming along nicely with learning about pool chemistry and understanding how a pool operates.

To admit my "noobiness" with pools... I have never owned, nor lived at, a home that had a pool in it other than the $6 plastic ones you throw away at the end of the season, in my 30+ years of life. Well all that is about to change in a matter of days! We are moving into our new home over this week and staring at us with wishful, yet cautious, glee is our new to us pool. I've updated my signature with the information of what I know and have pictures (linked below) to prove with.

Basically I'm looking for TFP's help with understanding my pool. I want to know, from you, that I know what I should know, to know how to operate this pool.:confused: :rolleyes:

Anyways I'll link some pictures of the basic layout of the pool, the mechanicals, and finally many of the wonderful chemicals the previous owners used (from what i have read so far, I feel like I have some work ahead of me!)

First, the location of the pool in all of its closed and covered glory

Next, the mechanical stuff (Located inside one part of the shed in the back)

Am i correct in assuming the below picture is of the drain lines (Why is one turned off the other not?)
image_6.jpeg

Pentair TA60 Sand Filter (Installed April 2002)

Pump - From what I can tell (didn't look TOO hard) it is a 1HP single speed pump (again probably installed April 2002)

AND the chemicals used by previous owner.... I have a feeling I may not be needing these!

So that's where I am at currently. The pool will probably remain as is until mid-late April as up here in Northern Indiana farmland, its averaging around 48-50 degrees and from what I have read, algae doesn't like that.

First thing's first though, gotta put up fence around the pool... 3 little ones 6 and under and 1 on the way makes for a worried mother and father without it being surrounded completely from the rest of the yard!

NOW, here's a few questions for you/me to mull over:
1) Can I do anything right now to figure out where my pool is at chemistry-wise? (Haven't ordered TF100 kit yet, but its on the "soon to purchase" radar)
2) The mechanicals seem older, what should I look for before firing it up?
3) Advice? (Yes I AM reading up on Pool School!!!)

I really really really look forward to being a part of this forum and learning about my newest "baby" to take care of.... (good thing no diapers though!)

I'm sure I'll use this thread to update with things, post up thoughts and further questions. From what I have read so far, you all are very helpful and understanding of the pool virgins. :eek:

CHEERS!

P.S. I apologize if the picture size is too big (let me know if I need to resize them at all), I'm on my laptop to put up this monstrosity of a post, typically i'll probably post from the Tapatalk app.

Welcome to TFP!

I am going to guess that one line feeding the front of the pump is the skimmer and the other is a floor drain. Not sure why one is open and the other is not.

1. Not really. You need to circulate the pool for a bit before you test so that the water is uniform.

2. After filling the pool and removing any plugs, I might open both suction lines, make sure the return lines are open if they have a valve, set the filter valve to filter, fire up the pump and see what happens.

3. Just order the TF-100, likely the XL option and SpeedStir if you can swing it sooner than later. Really need test results j to know the path forward.

If there is a cover pump around somewhere, you may want to drain some water off that cover. I can't tell how deep it is from the pics, but it looks like a lot. If there's no pump, you could siphon it off if there is a lot of water on it ~4+".

Yup, I saw a cover sump pump box next to all that "Pool Shock". Which is something you may or may not use, so don't throw it out just yet. In fact, don't toss out any chemicals until we have test results. Some of them aren't necessarily what we suggest using routinely, but as you open up the pool they may actually come in handy if they serve the right purpose.

HI! We are glad you found us! You will LOVE your pool and we will have fun teaching you how to care for it with all of the work you have already done! NICE JOB!

For right now there is really nothing you can do to figure out your water in the pool. If you have been reading on the threads you will know that the guess strips are worthless and the pool store is right behind them in being just about as worthless. Just wait until you have your test kit in hand. THEN we will move forward with the testing and balancing.

GREAT idea on fencing in the pool. The kid's safety is the MOST important thing! Will you also have a water and door alarm as well? We all know kids are little monkeys so..........better safe than sorry. 4 littles one under the age of 6?????? FUN times but man y'all are wore out at the end of the day. When is the newest one due?

Those "shock" boxes look kind of new. I am hopeful they are new enough to help clear the water if it is needed. I bet they are just chlorine with the "shock" label.

Are there any unions on the filter? It does not look like it nor on the pump. This is no big deal so long as they work. Did the former owner say anything about the operation of the pool at all?

Here is my GUESSING (hoping) with those boxes being so new looking AND so many of them the former owner used the liquid "shock" to manage the pool so you will not have too much trouble getting your water balanced once you open it up. This will be the best picture I can paint. Of course we will be ready for a different picture when you have your test kit AND open the pool.

Let us know as things start to happen.

Kim

The cover water is at least 4" if not more. I definitely think getting that off will be helpful, as of about 2 weeks ago, it was still ice!

Kimkats - yes we have purchased door locks (looking at audible contact alarms as well) and will also be getting a wave alarm.

Newest little one is due end of April but my wife doesn't want to wait that long... I don't blame her.

Once we are in the house I am going to pull out the boxes and read them a little more thoroughly attempting to locate dates on them to see if they are old.

Previous owners said they used the pool last year, so I'm hopeful as well!

Would you mind explaining what a union would be on the filter and/or pump?

Again, thank you all for being so welcoming. Just like the house, the pool is a big investment with many yields of fun times and enjoyment, so I am quite excited to see how things look (I'm sure the honeymoon phase will dwindle if/when I ever have to deal with algae or SLAMMING the pool. But until then, here's hoping for he best!

Until I actually open the pool and get the readings, I may pop up a picture and very humbly ask...."What's that for?" [emoji850]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That "pool shock" was probably 12.5%, but may be 10 and it has a date code of 15289 or 15299. That means it was bottled on the 2?9th day of 2015. Not too bad if it was kept out of the sun. And yes, I would pump that water off. Water is heavy!

Your telling me it's exciting. Officially took ownership today and measured how much water there is on top of the cover.... Anywhere (depending on where measured) from 14-17"!!!!!

Bring on the pumps! Well... probably by the weekend I will get er done. Work is getting in the way of moving! [emoji44][emoji24]

Those are some awesome sandbags holding the cover on!! If you have that much water pressing down on it, I would drain it sooner than later. If the water is pretty clean, you might want to put the drain hose through the skimmer and into the pool to equalize the pressure on your liner (if you have a liner).

You should have seen our house and pool when we first saw it!!!!!! :puker::shock:

It was a foreclosed home and the pool was not covered AND had a HUGE oak tree hanging over it!

It took us 3 months to get it move-in-able condition! That is NOT even talking about the pool!

BUT we were able to do all of the work ourselves! LOL so do you REALLY want ME to find you a fixer-upper???? Do you have it in your to work 8hours a day THEN go to the "new" house and work on it another few hours????? hummmmmm?? LOL

Not something I want to do again but we will not be leaving except in a pine box!

Kim

You should have seen our house and pool when we first saw it!!!!!! :puker::shock:

It was a foreclosed home and the pool was not covered AND had a HUGE oak tree hanging over it!

It took us 3 months to get it move-in-able condition! That is NOT even talking about the pool!

BUT we were able to do all of the work ourselves! LOL so do you REALLY want ME to find you a fixer-upper???? Do you have it in your to work 8hours a day THEN go to the "new" house and work on it another few hours????? hummmmmm?? LOL

Not something I want to do again but we will not be leaving except in a pine box!

Kim

Some day it is what I want :) today, no... Let the kids leave the nest lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water is clean on top, but lots of leaves to sift through that have sunken down. Would removing the top cover water cause any pressure issues for the liner? I feel like (I'm not going to really but the temptation is there) being that one guy who is drinking his coffee in the morning in his robe, holding the pool hose and pump while it's pumping water off... [emoji849]

Probably will hold it though so as to not just lay the pump on top of the cover... Besides all theLEAVES!!! I'll get a picture up tomorrow if/when I have a chance, three trips of stuff today and I'm exhausted!

Oh, MarianParoo, they are water bags!! I'm just as surprised as you are!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.