BillyZ: Greetings from Western New York and the Great Lake Erie.

billyz

Mar 14, 2016
Western NY - Lake Erie
Quick intro; just moved into a new house with a an above ground pool (details in sig). I'm shopping around for SWG parts to convert the pool this spring, but my ultimate goal (might work towards it over the next couple of seasons) is to automate as much as possible. I would like to be able to check the pool's chemistry without having to drag out test tubes and dip-strips and have the pool take care of itself as much as possible. You know, be trouble-free. ;)

Going to continue to dive through the existing discussions and finish up my research but i'll soon be posting my "plan to-date" for folks to poke holes in before I make any major financial mistakes!

Thanks everyone, chat at you soon!

Welcome Billy. :wave: You are one of many who hope to automate and chlorinate their pool with ease. In the end though, we'll never get completely away from water testing as it is so critical to ensure that very same equipment is operating as it should. Still, it's very easy to do, and only take a couple minutes when you use the "right" test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006). The link is in my sig, so definitely check it out. When you get ready to shop for SWGs and other automation devices, post back because many folks here can help point you in the right direction. Not me though, I can only point you to where I keep the manual vacuum hose and where I store my bottles of bleach. :)

Have a great day.

In the end though, we'll never get completely away from water testing as it is so critical to ensure that very same equipment is operating as it should.

My comment was a little misleading. I absolutely will have a test kit and, as you said, be checking regularly to make sure the hardware is in-line on a routine basis. I'm just hoping to streamline the day-to-day level checking down to opening a panel (or preferably an app) and reading numbers. Leaving the test-tubes for weekend checkups and top-offs of associated chems for the hardware to dispense.

Thank you for the welcome! still a ton of research to go, and sadly, plenty of time to do it before our weather is really warm enough to open the pool... :/