Rocking along-- New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

Re: New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

I posted apologies to our cul-de-sac Facebook page, and then I offered Kahlua for any neighbor who stopped by with a cup of coffee. I even offered to deliver!

We had a minor disagreement about whether or not the pegboard they used to help secure the cave-in could stay in place. I insisted it could not, so they broke it up and pulled it out, then filled that area with gunite. It was A LOT of gunite. I also texted our build manager, and he called the gunite company, just to make sure. Our build manager has really been on top of everything.

We decided on the heights of the spa benches (I'm only 5 feet tall, so I wanted one side to be higher). The crew is awesome. Love watching the work happening, and the girls are watching from an upstairs window.

Here are some progress pics:
At 6:30, the trucks started rolling in.

Starting work

View from upstairs

View from the shallow end

Re: Gunite done! New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

LOL on the Kahlua!

Glad you "won" on the pegboard. Lets make it as solid as possible why don't we?

If you want you can get a sprinkler or two to help "bond" with your pool BUT I bet the kid would love to help the first time or two!

Kim

Looks great! Congrats on that BIG step.

Just a thought for others on the pegboard. It really doesn't hold anything, it's just there to 'stop' the gunite when it's shot. Consider the inside of the walls, nothing is holding them up. But obviously anything stronger than pegboard can't hurt.

Our issue with the board was that there was a 2.5 foot deep cave in behind it. Without filling that all of that void, the dirt would eventually settle, and we would have problems. Also, with the pegboard below grade as it was, there was no way to get the gunite around the rebar--much of it would have been shot onto rebar that was pressed directly up against the pegboard. Maybe it would not be a huge issue, but with the amount of money pools cost, I want it to be done correctly, not the easiest way!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ah, yes with the void. I had discussed that in a different thread and agree.

sooner,
That pool and shape looks to fill your space perfectly! Very nicely played. I do not think you can go wrong with a spa in the Houston area. I did not plan on having a pool heater at all, but the PB just added it to the BOM when I said we wanted a spa. Thanks to this site, our water chemistry has always been just about perfect, so we have already used the heater (for the spa only) 5-6 times in the last month. Not sure if your heater is natural gas (ours is) or electric, but our operating cost was minimal (less than $10 extra for the month). The enjoyment was priceless.

sooner,
That pool and shape looks to fill your space perfectly! Very nicely played. I do not think you can go wrong with a spa in the Houston area. I did not plan on having a pool heater at all, but the PB just added it to the BOM when I said we wanted a spa. Thanks to this site, our water chemistry has always been just about perfect, so we have already used the heater (for the spa only) 5-6 times in the last month. Not sure if your heater is natural gas (ours is) or electric, but our operating cost was minimal (less than $10 extra for the month). The enjoyment was priceless.
Mark, I'm so glad to hear you love your spa! I think I will be glad we have one. Our heater is gas, too, and the cost of heating is my biggest worry.

This morning, I watered the pool, and my husband and I walked around it and tried out all of the spots! I think we are going to love it!

Our pool builder is capitalizing on the nice weather we are having. We are having gunite clean-up first thing in the morning, followed by tile and coping right after. Plumbing is Wednesday or Thursday, depending on weather.

I'm so disappointed I won't be home for tile and coping, but I'm hoping to run home quickly during the day to make sure all is well!

Looking good. Can't wait to see the tile and coping go in. We were worried about heating expenses too, but will probably just heat and use the spa when it is colder. We are going to have an 8' spa.

Well, we didn't have much sun today--it was drizzly for most of the day. However, we still had gunite clean-up and tile/coping got started! I was able to run home at lunch just to make sure the right colors were going in, and it was fortunate I did. The tile guy was planning to do two pieces of travertine with a grout line down the middle around the spa, but he asked for my ok, and I said I preferred a solid piece, as it will be around the rest of the pool. It means they need to use larger pieces, but that's fine. No grout line for me, please! :)

Here are some progress pics:
Overhead view

New tile we picked out with coping while wet (Tile is Noble "Siren")

Spa partially done

The yard actually looks halfway clean . . . just in time for plumbing to hopefully start this week and mess it all up with trenches. I'll post more pics once we actually have tile and finished coping!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.