First Pool Winning battles - losing war with Algae

Hu Lula! Well, no doubt that your current FC is low, and I suspect that is letting the algae return - especially in warm/humid Miami. You know how to SLAM, so knock that out first and make sure you pass the 3 criteria. After that, continue to check your CYA every week or so for about a month. Do this to instill constancy and check for CYA reduction based on water replacement. Right now you're showing a CYA of 35 (round-up to 40), so your FC should be 5 (SLAM FC of 16). I doubt your dog has anything to do with it. Woof! So wrap-up this SLAM and keep that FC a bit higher.

Oh, please lower pH slightly (7.2-7.5) before starting the SLAM. :)

Girl you got this! Look at the progress you have made...........you saw your pool and knew what was up! NICE JOB!

Do as Pat says-----SLAM and keep your FC higher. Remember you do not want it LOWER than your lowest number on the scale at the end of the day into the night. That means you will have to shot for higher when you add to give it some room to come down due to the sun and swimming.

Kim

Good Morning-
I need a little help. So, I have SLAMmed the pool. My numbers yesterday were FC 6.0, CYA 45 CC 0 TA 90 PH 7.8. Last night and the evening before I did the overnight test and both nights they loss was 1.0 or less. Today my numbers are FC 4.5 CYA 35 CC 0 PH 7.8 TA 90. I think on both days they look pretty good, I do think I have to go buy stabilizer today (full sun all day). What has me confused is that I am still brushing a lovely light green cloud from the sides and bottom of pool. At the same time the 'dead algae' is also appearing under the returns. I clean the filter 1-2x day, brush at least 3x, vacuum 1x. Does this mean that my 'marker' for victory is no green clouds and no dead algae? Does the state of my pool surface (in need of a resurfacing) mean that algae will always have tiny nooks in which to hide?

Any thoughts would be so appreciated. Thank you!

I would stay at 35-45 CYA until there is no more algae (dead or alive). The "dead algae" showing under your returns means it isn't getting filtered, which means there is something wrong with your filter. I am going to guess it's not seated properly, but I don't know about that kind of filter so hopefully someone who does know will be along shortly.

edit: There is no 35-45, the test rounds up so you have 40-50. Definitely stay there until these issues are resolved.

edit2: If you are vacuuming a lot and refilling, I would test CYA pretty often to make sure it doesn't get below 20. At <= 20 if you are still vacuuming I would add some.

I want to make sure I understand, did you complete the SLAM passing all three criteria:

Crystal Clear water
OCLT of less than 1 ppm FC
OCLT of less than .5 ppm CC?

If you didn't pass all three, the SLAM was not completed and your FC levels are not at SLAM level currently. Here is the CYA/FC chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I want to make sure I understand, did you complete the SLAM passing all three criteria:

Crystal Clear water
OCLT of less than 1 ppm FC
OCLT of less than .5 ppm CC?

If you didn't pass all three, the SLAM was not completed and your FC levels are not at SLAM level currently. Here is the CYA/FC chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Hi, yes I apologize, my water is crystal clear as long as I don't brush. The loss was 1 for both nights and the CC comes up as 0

No need for apologies! You'll get there! The hardest part is the last part of a SLAM...maintain. If you still have visible algae, the SLAM was not completed. Once you have no visible algae and crystal clear water and the other two criteria, you will be amazed at the simplicity of this method of pool maintenance.

I would stay at 35-45 CYA until there is no more algae (dead or alive). The "dead algae" showing under your returns means it isn't getting filtered, which means there is something wrong with your filter. I am going to guess it's not seated properly, but I don't know about that kind of filter so hopefully someone who does know will be along shortly.

edit: There is no 35-45, the test rounds up so you have 40-50. Definitely stay there until these issues are resolved.

Thank you Mr Bruce, I am checking the CYA often because on top of everything else I seem to need to add water to this pool bi-weekly even without the vacuum. The filter idea is interesting< I thought maybe the algae is so big that it passes right through, the filter does teeter tooter when I put it in and the top is difficult to screw back on. Not sure about whether this is normal or not.

- - - Updated - - -

No need for apologies! You'll get there! The hardest part is the last part of a SLAM...maintain. If you still have visible algae, the SLAM was not completed. Once you have no visible algae and crystal clear water and the other two criteria, you will be amazed at the simplicity of this method of pool maintenance.

Thanks for that- questioning my comprehension with this... So, do you think that I should go back to the SLAM for a few more days and then some? I was going to SLAM this morning and just keep going til there is no trace of green, but then I thought it would be best to ask the forum for guidance. As long as I know that my pool is not a permanent home to the little buggers due to the wear of age, I will fight on!

You can do this. You need to fight on. Keep your FC at or slightly above 20. Test about an hour after an addition and see if you have any loss. You can then start to stretch out your testing once you see how much bleach is being used to fight the green monster! The key is to MAINTAIN the FC level at 20 or a little above as consistently as possible until there is no visible algae/clear water and the OCLT tests mentioned above.

You can do this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.