Pool equipment main wiring repair- solid or stranded

No trenching for me today. Rain delay!
3f54b49319f42149d3314122116d9dfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least you didn't have a complete trench that's now a river and collapsed on it self. Not to mention all the spare time you have now to patch that drywall haha. No rest for the weary.

I went to my old employer and bought 200ft of 1.5" pvc conduit today. I'll try running it in the next couple days, then go back and get the wire. I'm gonna de-rate the sub panel to 40amps. It would be just over $100 to go up to #4, and about $250 to get to #2. I'll never need the extra ampacity, so I feel comfortable with 40 amps. If I decide to add any heating apparatus, it will be solar. If/when I sell the house, the next owner will have the option of solar or natural gas heater. If they want a heat pump, they can deal with larger wire run.

This option ended up being about $80 more than tying in to the existing hot tub box, but I wanted to leave that open in the off chance we ever get a hot tub.

Isn't it easier to pull wire as you glue the segments together? Even if you don't have the wire yet it might be best to wait until you can lay the conduitand pull the wire simultaneously.

Isn't it easier to pull wire as you glue the segments together? Even if you don't have the wire yet it might be best to wait until you can lay the conduitand pull the wire simultaneously.

You're allowed to have 360 degrees of turns before you have to have a pull box. I put a "C" under the house so there's two 90's on either side of it. 98+% of the run will technically be straight since it's just pvc pipe with an arc to it. Shouldn't be any problem at all to run. I do need to get some paracord to use to pull with before I run any more pipe. I have to cut what I already ran to go under the drain pipe I found, so my fish tape will be long enough to pull the cord through each side before I glue it back together.

Technically you're allowed to pull the wires I'm gonna pull through a 3/4" conduit. I wouldn't dare ever try to pull two of them through that small of a conduit, much less the four allowed. That's why I heeded the advice to upsize to 1.5" conduit. It won't take up much room in the conduit, it'll be lubed up, and it will only have to pass a 90 at the beginning and end of the run. Should be a piece of cake.

I was just fooling around putting the gfci breakers in the subpanel; and I was wondering, what's the rule/formula for what can be on a breaker? As it stands I have 2-20amp 2 pole breakers for the main and booster pump and the chlorine generator, and a single pole 20 amp gfci for the light. Can the motors and chlorine generator all be on the same breaker? The main pump draws around 8.4 amps if I remember correctly. They won't be started at the same time so the inrush current won't be an issue. Just curious if I really need to use all these breakers for the limited amount of equipment.

I suppose it depends on how you go about wiring it. Only one set of wires should go to a breaker. You would then need to switch each pump independently either thru a timer or switches. If it were me I'd rather have independent circuits for each motor but that's more for troubleshooting than anything else.
I would keep the SWG independent of the pumps and the light, again though that's a personal preference.
Is the light hardwired or plug in?

Per code you only really need 2 circuits out there. One properly sized gfci protected circuit for your pump (in this case with your panel the breaker acts as the local service disconnect). The other circuit is a 20amp convenience outlet that's gfci protected. There shouldn't be anything hard wired to the convenience outlet circuit it should just be the one outlet.

If it were me doing that panel I'd probably have 3 breakers but I'd be debating a 4th. Those breakers aren't cheap though. I used to work on ships a lot and I really like redundant systems but it tends to make me overkill things a bit at home sometimes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm going to agree that per code you may only need two circuits. But that would require separate maintence disconnects in in addition to some control mechanism.

The equipment may require more.

Vs pumps require their own direct wired curcuit. And as stated above it's best pratice to have each pump on its own circuit. That way, as long as the sub panel has less than six throws, it counts as the required maintence disconect in most jurisdictions. The lights and the required convenience outlet can be on the same 20 amp curcuit.

So long as the motor controller disconnect opens all motor circuits simultaneously you only need one properly sized circuit for multiple motors but I agree that putting each motor on an independent circuit is probably the best practice.

The light is hard wired. I currently have three breakers, so I'll probably keep the configuration like it is now. One breaker has the main pump and swg, the booster pump is on a breaker, and the light is on the last one. I don't have an outlet at the pad because there is one close enough on the deck. If it's not a problem to add an outlet on the light circuit, I'll do that.

Well, I've reached my breaking point. I've identified a gutter downspout, a drain from the old garage, and the septic line. The main power is deeper than I'm going to run, and the power to the garage subpanel is out of the way of where I'm trenching. I'm gonna rent a trencher tomorrow and potentially just rip the phone line out of the ground. Im tired of messing with this **** with the limited time I have right now. Half of my extra shift of overtime tonight will more than pay for the trencher, so I'm just gonna get this junk done!

So j.u.n.k is a banned word? Didn't know that. The train has left the station now with the trencher. I'm thinking I may go ahead and run another trench and put 2' pvc in it to run solar eventually. I'm hoping for next year.

Figured you were busy digging. Glad to see you're getting the trencher. Get one with the saw wheel. I think they'll cut through the roots and everything else much easier.

Phone line? What do you need that for?

Phone line? Absolutely nothing! I've had a home phone one time in my adult life, and that was only because it was included in a package deal. DSL is 1/10th the speed of my cable internet, so the phone line is just a waste. I am gonna have the new cable line run through a piece of pvc where it gets close to the house so if won't get damaged again. Hopefully the cable tech is cool and just runs a new drop for me without trying to charge me for it. Their contractor cut my power to my subpanel last year, which I repaired when it corroded in two, so I figure we're square. If they try to charge me, I'll just run my own drop. I'm not paying a fortune for $5 worth of wire.

So j.u.n.k is a banned word? Didn't know that. The train has left the station now with the trencher. I'm thinking I may go ahead and run another trench and put 2' pvc in it to run solar eventually. I'm hoping for next year.

LOL!! No, junk isn't banned, you must have had a typo the first time because you typed junk again in the next sentence and it didn't get censored! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.