11 Yr Old Maytronics Dolphin DX4 Motor Box Desiccant Bag Blew Up

DDGMAN

Bronze Supporter
Oct 12, 2016
Wadsworth/OH
Pool cleaner cleaned half the pool then stopped. I couldn't get it to move more than an inch before it would shut down again. The power supply was good, so I decided to disassemble it. I saw this mess when I opened it up.

IMG_3731.jpg
I blew it out with compressed air and got a new desiccant bag and bench tested the motors. I think the desiccant mess shorted the electronics just enough to cause it to shut down. Hopefully the robot is back up and running for a while. I thought I would share for anyone else with a dead Dolphin. Wear and tear wise I think this could go another decade if the power supply lasts.

D,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your "Explosive Robot" questions... :shark:

I've resurrected several older Dolphins and that desiccant bag has been open in all of them.

My repair luck is only about 50% anytime I've had to open the motor box.. Once the circuit cards start to corrode it is pretty hard to stop...

Thanks for the pics...

Jim R.

Thanks and good to know. :lovetfp: I don't see any corrosion on the circuit card (doesn't mean there isn't some damage I don't see), so hopefully I caught it early enough and don't spring a leak into the motor box now. I did add re-lube the seals before reassembly.

If the circuit boards haven't started to corrode, maybe a spray-on conformal coating would give an extra bit of protection. If wouldn't help the connectors though, so maybe dielectric grease for those?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.