Fiberglass Pool Build Southeast PA

Welcome and congratulations! Your pool is going to be perfect in that spot! I can just picture it. I know several people that have FG and love them! Can't wait to see your build unfold. Please post LOTS of pictures and keep us updated.

Yes, test the fill water at the pool store, especially for iron. There are options for filtering if it is needed.

Distance to the equipment pad is not important. Long straight runs of plumbing result in very little head loss. Put the pad in a convenient place.

Congrats on the build....I know you will be very happy with the pool....I purchased the same model back in the fall of 2013
I did not find this site until mid season of my first year. With all the info here I wish I had found it before I bought mine.
Here are a couple of pictures of my set-up....the pool takes up half of my back yard....Love It!!

p3.jpg

p1.jpg

Welcome and congratulations! Your pool is going to be perfect in that spot! I can just picture it. I know several people that have FG and love them! Can't wait to see your build unfold. Please post LOTS of pictures and keep us updated.

I certainly will. I am following your build as well. I'm not sure I'd have the nerves for gunite, lol. Your pool is going to be fabulous. Keep up the good work and in a couple of months you will see the fruit of your labor.

Yes, test the fill water at the pool store, especially for iron. There are options for filtering if it is needed.

Distance to the equipment pad is not important. Long straight runs of plumbing result in very little head loss.

What thorough methods of filtration are you referring to? In regards to the pad, the trick is then to ensure the piping is relatively straight and not have too many bends (e.g. 90 degrees)?

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the build....I know you will be very happy with the pool....I purchased the same model back in the fall of 2013
I did not find this site until mid season of my first year. With all the info here I wish I had found it before I bought mine.
Here are a couple of pictures of my set-up....the pool takes up half of my back yard....Love It!!

View attachment 44655

View attachment 44656

Your pool looks great...how do you like the depth? What do you mainly use your pool for? Do you have any regrets getting it?

Your pool looks great...how do you like the depth? What do you mainly use your pool for? Do you have any regrets getting it?

We have zero regrets...except not doing it sooner...haha...

The best investment so far has been the TF-100 kit. I also learned this past year that I need to remove the underwater lights and clean behind them early in the season after the water is balanced.....I had algae hiding there this past year and until I removed the lights i could not keep the chlorine use in check.

We have a 12yo and during the past summer we were the spot for her and friends to hang during the day.
My wife enjoys reading by it and jumping in when it's hot....I use it pretty much any time...quick dip.....I seem to only wear bathing suits when I'm home.
I'm 5'11" and when I stand in the deep end I have a couple inches about my head....

Looking forward to warmer weather for sure!!

I notice you have a Aqua rite T-9 cell...how is the performance with the Cancun?

I have my timer set to run the pump twice a day for a total of 10 hours.
I have the salt output set to 40% but during the hottest times I'll bump it up 50%.
When the system shows the salt cell needs cleaning, which is based on run hours programmed into the unit, I plug 1 end and fill with vinegar. I have not noticed any calcium build up inside the cell at all.

I was running the unit close to 100% and when I tested my Combined chlorine was only about 1.0 and all of my other readings were within the limits.
I did the over night FC test...which failed....
After some reading here..I removed my light to find the problem.....loaded with algae.....I scrubbed the fixture and pool then slammed.....

I also run a Dolphin M3 robotic cleaner a couple times a week. The cleaner will climb in some areas but mostly on the less curved walls.

When my cell needs replacing, I probably go with the T-15. For the additional cost, about $100 more, I think being able to run the cell less will pay off down the road.

Also there is a great thread and an excel log here.
Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log (Excel spreadsheet))

Aha! I wonder if there are any robots that specialize in climbing curved walls. I was checking out Dolphins Active videos on Youtube and all of the pools have straight walls. I haven't priced out the difference in the cell sizes but if its only $100 no need to consider the T-9 although I'm always looking for savings. Thanks for the vinegar tip as well as I've only read about using acid to clean the cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to update and ask a question. My permits are pretty much done, but I think I'm going to wait until Aprilish to do the install. I found out that there are impervious surface restrictions. In other words, I may not be able to have any decking, and 3 feet around the pool may be a stretch. Does anyone have any ideas to deal with this? I really want a deck to lounge on...

I'm still waiting to hear back from the PB but as of right now it doesn't sound like it. What has been suggested to me is take up some of my "impervious surface" that I already have to make room for the future impervious surface that will go down once the pool is installed.

Some thoughts.

Cartridge filters are great on the whole. Get the largest you can afford. That way you only have to clean it twice per year . And less energy usage. And depending on your debris load maybe once per year. A good one will give you Crystal clear water.

Impervious surface area:

You need to take your drawing down to the planner or building department yourself and talk to them. Be human. Often if you talk to them they can come up with solutions you would not think of. You can take the PB but you need to go. Begging and groveling are acceptable. Have them explain the problem and ask for solutions.

Some more serious solutions that have costs include replacing you driveway with a surface that counts as permeable like some pavers and permeable concrete. Both are expensive and are comromises.

Our FRP pool is getting dropped into the freshly dug hole on Tuesday.

In regards to impervious. In the SE Raleigh area, there are very strict impervious surface limits, and unfortunately, we ruled out many houses during our search, just due to existing impervious surface numbers. In this area, impervious surface is governed by the watershed commissioner, not the planning, or building department. That person was quite helpful in answering questions. A few suggestions:

1. Wooden (or Trex) decking is not considered impervious in most jurisdictions, as long as the gap between the boards is a certain dimension. That's one option.

2. The pool itself should not be considered impervious. The purpose of the impervious limit is to control watershed off your lot. The pool won't add to the water flow.

3. Are you allowed to mitigate to increase impervious area? In certain areas here, you can go from say 6% to 12% impervious if you mitigate run-off, to a certain level. For instance you may have to mitigate to a 1/2" storm, or a 1" storm. Options such as adding rain barrels to your down-spots, as long as they have enough capacity to capture whatever storm level is required. You can also create a rain garden, that captures run-off from your lot.

Best to go see the right person at the AHJ, and see what your options are. Good luck!

In PA, our fiberglass pool was on a slope. The back had to be built up and a retaining wall added. It took time for it to settle before we could have the concrete pour. The first concrete pour was a hack job that had to be jack hammered up and totally redone by another company. The leveler for the pool did a great job though. Back when we did it there was not as many choices. This is a very nice pool you picked out. So you have to worry about impervious area? We had to worry about "Riparian Habitat C" restrictions for our current build in AZ. It's always something, but going to the permit offices yourself is key. Everyone is right. You have to go too. It's not that my PB didn't go several times, but they didn't start to talk or negotiate alternatives and solutions until I did.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I was told I can go through some type of appeals process where I have to let all of the neighbors know within a certain distance of my house and then go to some type of hearing or something for an exception. It sounds like a long and drawn out process. I'm thinking I will just go down there myself like you all have suggested and see if I can talk to them. The trex decking does sound like an alternative but I'm not sure how I could make that look good with a IG pool. As far as mitigating, I'm waiting to hear back from the PB. I was told they are checking into it to see all of the options.

Hopefully, you are good with the neighbors too... I mean, that you don't have any wackos or envious ones. We have been pretty fortunate, but I have to say we had one weirdie once. Fences make good neighbors.

Sort of good news? Is artificial turf considered impervious? Some turf is very nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.