What would you do if you had my situation?

Thank you Divin Dave. I definitely appreciate your reply and the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been looking into possibly changing out my pool filter as well. From what I read, sand or DE filters are the best choice? Is this true? I read that they're both better than element simply for the cost and ease of cleaning? The article I read actually recommended sand over DE. What's your take on this?

Been looking into possibly changing out my pool filter as well. From what I read, sand or DE filters are the best choice? Is this true? I read that they're both better than element simply for the cost and ease of cleaning? The article I read actually recommended sand over DE. What's your take on this?

Well, choice of filters really falls into the category of opinion....

When it comes down to it a properly sized filter of any type will work well. The problem is that most people get too large a pump and too small a filter.

Personally, I like my sand filter and it works very well for my pool.

If you switched to sand or DE that pipe you have going out to the street would be helpful.

:goodpost:

Tim basically read my mind. The only add-on to what he posted would be to say that if you went with DE, I'd recommend a separation tank on the backwash line as it would not be a nice thing to backwash DE onto your street. DE is a dust/inhalation hazard and should only be discharged into areas where it can be safely spread out into the existing landscape. I discharge my DE backwash into an area of my property that drains out my back wall into an empty wash behind our property, so no one can go near it. The occasional rains here dilute it away. But backwashing into a public street would be a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

After reading further, I'm thinking I will probably stay with a cartridge filter. Considering the Hayward C4030. Still trying to figure out which robot cleaner.

The capped off 2" line is for the pressure side cleaner (to the cleaner) whose pump was robbed along with the heater and cell. You can see in the picture of a shadow where the pump used to sit and a capped off tee on the return just before it goes into the ground (suction to the cleaner pump). Keep the cleaner you have and I would just buy a new pump for the cleaner and get it working. Heater i don' t think is a critical need at the moment. Perhaps trying a bubble cover this spring will keep enough heat for you.

Are you absolutely certain your filter is a cartridge type?

That looks EXACTLY like a Sta-Rite S8S70 sand filter. (I had one at my old house)

Those filters work very well and require no maintenance other than occasional back washing.

If it were me, I'd just keep that one.

Are you absolutely certain your filter is a cartridge type?

That looks EXACTLY like a Sta-Rite S8S70 sand filter. (I had one at my old house)

Those filters work very well and require no maintenance other than occasional back washing.

If it were me, I'd just keep that one.

That System 3 tank is used for all three applications (Modular Media). Hence the name System 3. It can accommodate all three media types, with conversion kit(s) of course.

Yes, I actually removed the filters and cleaned them, they were half-inch thick in what appeared to be a light colored mud. Right now the pool just circulates when the freeze protection kicks on which is a lot of the time. I will tell you in the pool water cleaned up clarity big-time within a day after cleaning those filters. I am doing absolutely nothing since it will be replastered. You can see Algae forming. I'm guessing it won't hurt a single thing since it's going to be drained soon? Another question is where would you recommend I get some kind of pool cover made? This is not a regularly shaped pool and I would like to get a cover to keep leaves out since my lot is heavily wooded.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The capped off 2" line is for the pressure side cleaner (to the cleaner) whose pump was robbed along with the heater and cell. You can see in the picture of a shadow where the pump used to sit and a capped off tee on the return just before it goes into the ground (suction to the cleaner pump). Keep the cleaner you have and I would just buy a new pump for the cleaner and get it working. Heater i don' t think is a critical need at the moment. Perhaps trying a bubble cover this spring will keep enough heat for you.

So are you saying that the pressure cleaner I now operate is another line only to a different outlet in the pool?

You buy a square cover large enough to cover the entire pool and then cut it with a pair of heavy shears to exactly fit your layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Actually there is a new Polaris pump for the current cleaner that seems to work fine. The problem is the cleaner just is always tangled and on its side it has plenty of pressure. My whole thing is I'm going to replaster this and I would like to just re-plum and redo everything so it is working efficiently and properly. Right now it seems like things are kind of a mess. Of course I would like to use all my existing equipment I could. So basically I have a one horse pool circulation pump, a two horse water feature pump, and what appears to be newer Polaris booster pump.

29dc8e720df5a2e82f101a79a7d5e7c4.jpg

You buy a square cover large enough to cover the entire pool and then cut it with a pair of heavy shears to exactly fit your layout.

Thank you for the reply, is there anywhere online you would recommend? I'm guessing you have to drill and set anchors on the side with the wall? Sorry I am such a novice.

Well, that was embarrassing!!
Pool cleaner is good, don't change anything there. Although something did happen on the other end of the pad. A pump was definitely removed and its discharge was tee-ed into the return of the pump next to it. Can you see this?
Probably two separate water features are now combined and run off one pump. Capped off line is err was suction line for the missing pump.

Old owner only needs a filter to complete his equipment at his new house, because his old owner stole ALL the equipment.

The problem is the cleaner just is always tangled and on its side it has plenty of pressure.

It was probably taken out of the box and thrown into the pool without being sized for the pool. Check the head float as well, to be sure it is not full of water.

I didn't look through this (page 9), but i'll bet the sizing instructions can be found there.

And at least add some Chlorine to the pool. Among the many dis-tasteful products that come from a green pool, is that your pool builder may will charge you extra to drain+clean the pool before he re-plasters.

Well, that was embarrassing!!
Pool cleaner is good, don't change anything there. Although something did happen on the other end of the pad. A pump was definitely removed and its discharge was tee-ed into the return of the pump next to it. Can you see this?
Probably two separate water features are now combined and run off one pump. Capped off line is err was suction line for the missing pump.

Old owner only needs a filter to complete his equipment at his new house, because his old owner stole ALL the equipment.

I can definitely see where the pump was sitting, and now that you say that, it is obvious it was plumbed into something there. I only have two water features, (two waterfalls, and a small fountain in the wading pool). They are both run off of one pump, and that one pump is run off a switch inside my house. it seems to have no problem with the waterfalls, but to be honest the little fountain barely does anything. The filter pump and the booster pump are both run from the timers with set points on the side of my house. From the looks of things, after I get my pool replastered, I am probably better off leaving things like they are, and once I get used to everything installing a salt water generator at that point. In the meantime I probably should power wash and seal all my concrete. I am waiting for the weather to get nice enough to replaster, probably do the power washing around the same time but prior to the replaster so I don't have to worry about getting any power wash in the pool. Since I have nothing that helps me add chlorine, is my best bet until I install a salt water generator just to hand feed (dump) it with bleach? My goal is to have the pool looking great, my patio around looking great, and somewhat self-sufficient as far as chlorination.

One last thing, is there a certain sealer anybody could recommend? I want something decent but without breaking the bank hopefully. Lol

There are two valves on the pump that is doing the double duty. One is for the fountain and the other.. well you get it. Try turning the one that controls the sheer decents (waterfalls) off, not completely off, just play with it. You will probably begin to notice better action with the fountain.

There are plenty of threads here that talk about the application of chlorine. With the condition of your pool i think i'm safe when i say put a couple of gallons of Cl in it and perhaps a floater and it will begin to look better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.