CYA.......and others

I was looking at the FAS-DPD only Taylor kit. Two choices were available—1515 A & C. Below is what the company emailed me. The A kit is too small at around 18 test... so I added 2 oz for the 2 reagents. Should be here in a week or two.

Your email was forwarded to me for an answer.

The K-1515-A uses a 22 mL bottle. There are approximately 550 drops in that size bottle.
The K-1515-C uses a 60 mL bottle. There are approximately 1500 drops in that size bottle.

The number of tests from each size is solely dependent on the free chlorine and combined chlorine levels in the sample.
If we use your 6 ppm value then it would use 30 drops of R-0871-A (30 x 0.2 = 6.0); 550/30=18.33 tests at 6 ppm FC with a 22 mL bottle.
If we use your 6 ppm value then it would use 30 drops of R-0871-C (30 x 0.2 = 6.0). 1500/30=50 tests at 6 ppm FC with a 60 mL bottle.

I get lots of tests by using a 10 ml sample, where 1 drop = 0.5 ppm FC. One dipper of powder works for the 10 ml sample.

Have fun the good tester! For me it was great to get the confidence from color elimination rather than shades of pink.

Ok here it is.

Did the 10mL and two scoops. I'll try w/ one scoop next time.

FC: 2 CC: 0.5

Quickly added Cl (~100 oz), tested to

FC: 5.5 CC: 0

We'll test every morning.

I tried my OTO tester just to see if the yellow would be close to the 5 ppm indicated level.... boy it was NOT even close. One can just say it is yellow. It's a total crapper! No wonder no one here uses that.

CYA 40-50

Today it's
FC 3.5
CC 0

Will add to 5.5 again. Why do we do this in the morning when the sun will likely kill the Cl. Wouldn't it better at night where it can stay in the water longer?

Are you guys then test > add Cl > then test again after? So two test / day for at least a week to get the base demand of the pool without an abnormal bathers load?

I test in the evening.. If I suspect anything (!) from my results, then I do retest after additions, otherwise no. One test per day with no large bather load.

When we have guests, I raise several ppm over target and test when everyone is taking a break from the pool (dinner/supper?) and add as necessary.

However, I go a tad over target on normal evenings with no bather load (your target looks to be 6ppm), and then I am comfy waiting until the next evening.

They key is to stay above the minimum FC for your CYA at all times.

You can work your testing schedule around to suit- whether you test and add in the morning or at night doesn't make any difference. But your right-its a good idea to calculate what your losing in FC per day, and then add accordingly, to comfortably stay above the minimum. After a couple of weeks you will see a pattern emerging, then you can ease off the testing a little, maybe testing every couple of days

one more question....

after i get the reading.... a few minutes later the tested sample (that was already clear) became pinkish (very light). should i count that again as another drop? the same happened for the CC—i added the 5 drops of reagent and it was clear so that should have counted as 0 CC, but it turned pinkish after a few minutes (I went to add Cl to the pool).

i'll try and move the testing and adding of Cl after sunset.... but don't expect to see any noticeable difference.

FYI, now using only one scoop of powder. thanks guys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's normal for the sample to turn back to pink after a couple of minutes when you let it sit- but you don't need to add and count more R-0871 drops to make it clear again. Your original count for your FC is the reading. Ditto for CC.

Like your new avatar! Jezza has the Aussie's covered! I am just a late night USA gal that loves Aussies and wants to extend our knowledge across the seas.

Are you putting your bleach percent into PoolMath? If so, you are golden on ranges.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. Didn't read the whole thread. Is your water clear?

That's what I was thinking too. At night seems better coz they get to stay in the water longer without the sun doing its thing. So this morning it was 5.5 FC after I added Cl and tonight it's down to 4 ppm. 1.5 gone from the sun and whatever like leaves and stuff. I added another 60 oz. I'll change my testing schedule to evening anyways now I don't need to stare and compare shades of yellow. ;)

PoolMath: yeah I do enter the concentration. I was told our Cl is 4.9–5.1 ppm from the factory. That's so helpful in figuring out how much to add.

Yeah my water is pretty clear.

My PH seems to keep going up though. Is it due to the city water?

Your FC loss of 1.5 FC is fairly normal for your climate in the Philippines -(high 20's/low 30's centigrade) at this time of the year/anytime of the year?? Are you also getting a lot of rain at the moment. Heavy rainfall creates aeration which can lead to a rise in pH. Otherwise just keep adding the MA.

It's a good exercise to test the your city water to see what your adding to your pool.

If rain is considered as aeration then I guess the water going over to the overflow wall would be considered the same? so the more aeration, the more I would have to add MA? Any ways around that?

CYA.......and others - Page 2

Yes, your negative edge spillway is a water feature that will increase aeration.

Aeration increases pH because pool water is intentionally over-carbonated. So, when you agitate the water, you release CO2 gas. As the concentration of aqueous CO2 changes (decreases), the bicarbonate (HCO3-) anion shifts in equilibrium to create more dissolved CO2. That chemical reaction consumes a proton (H+) and your pH rises.

Lowering your TA will help. Sometimes you can lower it enough where you get a balanced equilibrium and the pH will no longer rise. It's different for every pool as it relies on many factors. In my pool, I like to keep the TA down between 50-60ppm for pH stability. I also have borates in my water so that helps to hold down pH changes as well.

Good luck,

Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.