New Pool - SE Pennsylvania

Just spoke to the PB. Excavator out this afternoon to clean up the deep end and install more stone. Tomorrow steel and plumbing. Thursday inspection by the township. Friday or Saturday the Gunite shoot.

Also having the landscaper come out Thursday night to quote some additional items and look at how big of a retaining wall I need in front of the shed.

Going to be a busy few days!!

Ryan

Also having the landscaper come out Thursday night to quote some additional items and look at how big of a retaining wall I need in front of the shed.

You can't/don't want to move the shed right? Would that eliminate the cost of that retaining wall by allowing you to slope the dirt over a larger area?

You can't/don't want to move the shed right? Would that eliminate the cost of that retaining wall by allowing you to slope the dirt over a larger area?

We gave moving the shed some thought. A few issues though..... Its flushed up with designated wetlands on the back of our property, so no chance of moving it further away from the pool. I also cant move it down past the deep end without running into my septic replacement field. The only other place is right behind the house, but the ground slopes away dramatically, so ground preparation would be way more than the retaining wall in the far side of the pool. Plus I like where it is at so I can hide the pool equipment on the far side.

Plus.... I don't want to move all my stuff out of the shed, lol.

Anyways, the PB and the excavating crew just left. Nothing like doing some final digging in the dark! We are all set for steel tomorrow. PB says they will probably be here at 7am. I will take some pictures in the morning and post then.

Ryan

Yeah, we had spots out a few times during our build.

Good news!

Well so much for the plan.

Heavy rain last night. Woke up this morning and the pump that was in the deep end had tripped the GFCI. I assume it was from water getting in the plug. Had about 1-2 feet of water back in the deep end. 6am I had the pump back up and running.

6:45am the steel guys show. They had a massive pump and had the rest of the water out in 5 minutes. Problem is the ground around the base of the walls is like quicksand, and the steel guys can't lay the rebar without it sinking. The PB owner came right out to meet with us. Long story short, steel cancelled today. The PB dug out some channels to get the water from the base of the walls into the center of the deep end (where the pump is). Slowly it is drying/firming up. PB will check on the progress later today and see if we can do steel tomorrow or if we will need another day or dry weather.

We really need to watch the weather now. We need basically 3-4 days of no rain in a row to get the gunite shot. One for steel, one for inspection, one for gunite, and one for a whoops we have a problem!

My PB has been great though. All this extra work (excavator coming out multiple times, water in the deep end, having to skim coat the walls with gunite, steel getting cancelled) hasn't costed us anything extra. He said that's the risk he takes with mother nature and started the dig this early in the year for our area.

Ryan

Good luck with Mother Nature...she can be fickle.

"Rain damage at no cost" we're some pleasant words in my contract...and for most frankly. But it's great to see them following through on that aspect so attentively.

Thanks Kim!

Came home today to the find the PB and excavation crew back out at the house. Didn't even know they were coming by today. They decided to re-dig the deep end out completely. So they dug out all the soft spots down to 11 feet and refilled with clean gravel. On top of that they dug a pit in the center down to 12 feet, dropped a hose down into it connected to a pump they have outside the pool. That pump is running full time to remove any water from the bottom of the pit. So hopefully that will prevent any soft spots from developing again. Best part is... NO ADDITIONAL COSTS!!!!

Now the plan is to rebar on Friday or Saturday, inspection on Monday and gunite Tuesday. The PB says they will pull the pump hose out of the deep end right before the gunite shoot.

You can see the pump hose in the picture below coming out of the left side of the deep end, and the pump sitting up on the edge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another day, another problem.

Temps hit low 20s here last night. Woke up this morning and the pump the PB installed last night was frozen solid on the discharge side. I worked the blockage free but couldn't get the pump to prime again. Not sure if there is a frozen section on the suction side. Spoke to the PB, he will come out today to get it running again. With all the stone they installed last night, I think just a normal sump pump in the center dug down a foot will take care of all the issues until the gunite.

Temps are supposed to get to 29 tonight, which with the pump running off and on shouldn't cause any freezing issues.

OH my! It is one thing after another for your build!

Kim

No kidding....

PB was out again today. He buried a new pump in the center of deep end, buried in crushed stone. It runs for a good 15 seconds for every 30 its off. Snowing here now, but temps not expected below 30 tonight. I doubt the pump/hoses will freeze with the constant cycling. It's obvious to me that I high ground water, but the PB doesn't see this as an "issue" and thinks he can shoot the gunite without a french drain ($1,200 if needed). I walked the deep end 5 minutes ago, its firm with no soft spots.

Spoke to the PB a short time ago. Steel getting installed tomorrow, plumbing/electric this weekend, inspection Monday, gunite Tuesday/Wednesday.

PRAY that the pump doesn't freeze overnight or trip the GFCI!!!!

Steel Day!!!

Woke up at 4am to check the deep end for water. Pump worked all night with no issues. Deep end is firm and dry (except for the few inches of snow).

6:30am the steel guys show. Ill try and run home during lunch to check the progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.