Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sucking air through pump strainer threads

1. Back To Top    #1

Sucking air through pump strainer threads

I have a pump sucking air through the threads at the pump strainer. The plumbing doesn’t have any unions so its not possible to tighten the threads. Is there a something I can use or do to seal the leak?
    13,500 gallon Florida Gem Inground, Hayward EC-75 DE Filter, Prozone PZ7-2HO Ozone Injection System (up to 40,000 Gallons), Auto-Pilot Digital SC-48 (up to 40,000 Gallons), 334 SQ FT Solar Heat with Automatic Temp Control

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sucking air through pump strainer threads

Welcome to TFP!!

This is not the optimal way of fixing it, installing unions would be best, but you can apply some silicone caulk to the joint, have the pump off and wipe the connection dry and put on the caulk, Then turn the pump on for ~ 5 seconds to draw the caulk into the leak and turn the pump off for 10 hours while the caulk sets. As I said, it's not the optimal way of dealing with this, but has the advantage of being 'quick and dirty'
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of pump is it? If the strainer easily disconnects from the impeller housing you might be able to disassemble it from the inside out. Like Ted said, putting in a union would be the best solution. It's a pretty simple job and if the threads leak again, you can re-seal with ease.

4. Back To Top    #4

My pump does this every couple of years. I am able to take the strainer basket off the pump, then spin it off the threads. At this point I reapply the Teflon thread dope and spin the strainer basket back on and bolt up to the pump. Good for another couple years.

Hopefully that makes sense,
    dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

I ended up added two unions. Then just used new teflon tape on the threads.
    Thanks for the help
    13,500 gallon Florida Gem Inground, Hayward EC-75 DE Filter, Prozone PZ7-2HO Ozone Injection System (up to 40,000 Gallons), Auto-Pilot Digital SC-48 (up to 40,000 Gallons), 334 SQ FT Solar Heat with Automatic Temp Control