Pump making loud noise

jpage123

Nov 12, 2023
Texas
I am in DFW. My issue started like this as well. I was having this same issue only when temps were freezing. During our last freeze a couple of months ago, I noticed the seal between motor and the pump had a small amount of ice formation. Air was in the system as well with small bubbles coming from a couple of the return jets. The pump was/is still functioning. My guess (not experienced so only a guess) was that the seal between the motor and pump failed resulting in a small amount of water to leak which froze when the temps dropped. This allowed enough expansion at the seal for my pump to start sucking in air (hence air in the system coming from return jets) and then the motor gave out as a result. Since that time, the pump is working but running very loud.
Moved from here

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in DFW. My issue started like this as well. I was having this same issue only when temps were freezing. During our last freeze a couple of months ago, I noticed the seal between motor and the pump had a small amount of ice formation. Air was in the system as well with small bubbles coming from a couple of the return jets. The pump was/is still functioning. My guess (not experienced so only a guess) was that the seal between the motor and pump failed resulting in a small amount of water to leak which froze when the temps dropped. This allowed enough expansion at the seal for my pump to start sucking in air (hence air in the system coming from return jets) and then the motor gave out as a result. Since that time, the pump is working but running very loud.
Moved from here
Leaking seal will allow for water to infiltrate the front bearing, ruining it. Likely was leaking for a while and not noticed until it got worse.