Signed the contract this morning, New build Orange County, CA

Thanks for all th extra pictures - much appreciated! ����������

Dumb question #1: Why is there a backwash valve, when you have a cartridge filer?

The city requires it.

- - - Updated - - -

Talk to them about encapsulating the autofiller into the gunite shel (similar to your skimmer and how the forms look around it). The way it is set up now could cause a crack in the plumbing if the deck moves from expansion/contraction.

Thanks, I will speak with them about that

Update, Shotcrete was finished today, wow, that was a nail bitting event, I need a drink! Design came to life in front of us. hoping to get decking started next week. 7 days of watering 2-3 times per day for me. Suggestion to others, BE HOME when shotcrete is going in. There were several radius on the steps that were not right, and had I not been there it would have been an issue. Sure it can be fixed after the fact, but it's a lot easier when the truck is there.

2D8D21A6-E229-458A-891E-655CC4C0C121_zpsjrwlzhk8.jpg

A658BFB9-197E-40AE-AF6F-94C2F6D15209_zps57aqtpec.jpg

144DDCCD-02A6-4693-999E-617BBAB0DE47_zpstnrjbsnk.jpg

75742296-A238-4A79-8E20-304B5A80B6A1_zpschilkhdg.jpg

Brian, looks good until I dropped a string line across the pool on top of the bond beam to check depths, they screwed up the shallow end. I am at 42" now, that was to be the finished water line (3',6"). Now I will finish out at 3'3" which is waist level for me. Unbelieveable, Note to all, measure everything yourself, appearently having the correct specs on the plan and having the PB forman tell the SC crew 10x was not adequate. Oh and my PB forman left as they were finishing floating the floor, was assured they understand, I was told again not to discuss anything with the subs. My reward, now they have to come back and break out the shallow end and re-shoot shotcrete. I should have listened to Bdavis, with the amount of time I have spent supervising this job I should have gone OB. I have caught SO Many communication errors is not funny. The problem is with you work with a PB, if you talk to the subs and change anything or correct them and they still mess up, it's all on you. I get it, but then the PB should be here at critical times. The PB is not out anything as I doubt they have paid the sub, so the only party is left holding the bag is me and the sub.

The quality of the work with this PB has been great, the forman is a moron, communication issues have caused the problems. If I could go back in time I would have taken Bdavis advise and done this OB.

Oh I need a drink!

NO WAY!

I am so sorry :( Most of the build threads I follow I tell the PO to measure after steel to make sure it is right-height, length, long, short, left, right, etc. Of course I did not tell you and look at what happened :(

WHO told you NOT to talk to the subs working in YOUR yard on YOUR pool??? I can tell you that person would be be working for me again!

Kim (I was ON the roof for for important parts of my reroofing and in my attic watching them add the new duct to our run.)

NO WAY!

I am so sorry :( Most of the build threads I follow I tell the PO to measure after steel to make sure it is right-height, length, long, short, left, right, etc. Of course I did not tell you and look at what happened :(

WHO told you NOT to talk to the subs working in YOUR yard on YOUR pool??? I can tell you that person would be be working for me again!

Kim (I was ON the roof for for important parts of my reroofing and in my attic watching them add the new duct to our run.)

I measured at excavation and rebar, we were all good, at excavation the shallow end was 51.5" from the top of the bond beam to the dirt, subtract 6" of shotcrete and subtract 3" for the waterline below the bond beam 1/2" for plaster= 42" of net water.

I would have measured be they finished at dark and I could not walk out there. Clearly just a complete screw up, pB told me he could not stay as there was some issue at the office, that's a you problem, not a me problem.

Just crazy.

So you are saying they used THAT much extra gunite?? Who would have thought you would have to sit on them with a tape measure stuck up to tell them when to stop pouring?????? That sounds like that is what it would take to make them do it right! You would hope they would know how to do their job :(

Hugs! You will get through this. It will be a pain but worth it when it is DONE!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool looks very nice n spacious. I love the ledge too.

What do they do in this type of situation did they say they are going to remove and reshoot our just chip/grind it down to the correct level?

Air-chisel down about 3-4" across shallow end, remove debris and re-shoot shotcrete. There is 9" of shotcrete above the rebar now. Not the way I wanted to end today, would live with it but 3 feet is just too shallow, I wanted 4' in the shallow end wife and I compromised at 3 1/2'. It's been rough, a leak at the main drain 10 days after plumbing went in, I caught that before shotcrete, had I not caught it nobody would have, think the shotcrete crew would have noticed and stopped? Oh also considering it rained the day before shotcrete the dirt was wet, the PB never noticed, I would have had a leak if I did not watch this like a hawk. The plumbing sub came out and replaced the "t". I know this will pass but friends, take note. I should have insisted on the measuring depth but when the foreman left he told me don't interrupt them, he had gone over the specs several times, lol, what a joke. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone owner builder.

This is a highly rated PB in the industry for 40+ years. I contacted 15 people from yelp on mine own, all raved about the builder no issues. I must have the worst luck or something. Again, inspector said excavation, rebar, where excellent. Plumbing was also great except for the one shady looking guy in the crew of 6, who happened to be the one who did the main drain. Shockcrete crew did fine, it's the PB fault for leaving a shotcrete crew who's supervisor was not present before they finished, all of which did not speak good English and the PB did not speak Spanish. Communication issue that now becomes my problem.

Make sure to tell the Foreman that he is not really good at this and should consider another career that he could actually excel in.

It will pass and all in all, your pool looks great!! Im sure once it is filled with water, all will be forgotten.

On another note, have you received any "20 day preliminary notice" correspondence at your house? Given that this contractor seems to be a little scatterbrained, there is NO way I would pay the final payment (or the last 10%) without them giving you an UNconditional Waiver and Release on Final Payment (added emphasis on UN) that has been notarized. Imagine how bad this would suck if you had to pay for some of the work twice...

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Resources/MechanicsLien/UnconditionalWaiverAndReleaseOnFinalPayment.pdf

We are talking about 2-2.5". We should finish out about 40" of water. I am meeting with the owner tomorrow, not sure I want to deal with a tear out of a lot of shotcrete, sent an email with pictures to the engineer with questions about is the repair. This is a 1st world problem, not sure if the potential for collateral damage is worth a couple inches of water. I will post back results. They will need to figure something out. I guess I am more upset that this idiot caused this simple avoidable error vs whether my pool is 3'4"-5'6" vs 3'6"-5'6". I guess I can add more water or use 4" tile instead of 6".

Again, warning to others, seriously consider OB. I am the most OCD type A personality you will meet, I had everything covered but let my guard down for a couple hours and now there is a problem. Again, lives will not impacted by this but I a kicking myself for trusting even for a second. Humans make errors and only you will give your build the attention it and you deserve.

I still feel you should leave it as is.

2" is an insignificant amount in over 3' of water. I bet you would have never noticed if it had not been measured.

If you do leave it, you'll need to update your signature::poke:

Build in-progress, broke ground 11-16-2015.
33x19 free form, 7ft raise spa.
Baja shelf, 14'x 7'-9'ft. (16" deep)
3.33ft to 5.5ft. Quartzite flagstone coping
Jandy EQ

If it were my pool, I would live with the mistake. I don't think I'd want to deal with a cold joint due to tearing it out and redoing it. I'd see if you could get an upgrade or something, anything for the stupid mistake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.