Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bring shine back to tile on retaining wall

1. Back To Top    #1

Bring shine back to tile on retaining wall

What is the best way to clean the tile on the retaining wall without getting chemicals in the pool?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bring shine back to tile on retaining wall

Help anyone?
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets

3. Back To Top    #3

You want tile soap/cleaner and a stiff brush or scrub pad. Look for something designed for pool use, there are many brands out there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What are you trying to remove? Scum? Calcium?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess it's scum. It's white and makes the tiles look dull.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Got a pic?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

It may be efllorescence. This is the white stuff you see on brick retaining walls and is caused by the salts leeching out of the mortar. Does it disappear during a rain and then slowly come back as everything dries out? If so, that's likely what it is. The salts re-absorb during the rain, then as the water evaporates it leaves them back on the surface. I keep meaning to do the same cleaning on a brick bench I have close to my pool.
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

If it proves to be very difficult to remove, then it is most likely calcium/mineral buildup from
    your waterfalls.

Theoretically acid removes calcium. However, practically a lot of work is still involved a d it can be dangerous.

What worked BEST for my pool when we bought the house was to pay $800 for 4 hours of work to a guy with a special sandblasting rig to meticulously blast every grout/morter line and surface blast some of the tile facing. Worked great but I may have overpaid. No chemicals just a lot of sand he had to vacuum out of the pool when he finishe.

Good luck.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

9. Back To Top    #9

Some small amount of white cloudiness on tile work is very common and does not normally require anything dramatic. Tile soap will normally take care of it. If it doesn't, there are other things that can be looked into, but I wouldn't worry about that unless you have a problem with the tile soap.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Jasonlion. I used Commercial ZEP Tile & Terrazzo cleaner today. I went over it with a towel soaked in a gallon of the ZEP and 2 gallons of hot water. Rinsed it and went over it again with a broom and rinsed it again. The grout looks extremely clean but the the tile themselves are still dull. I'm not sure how it will effect the chemistry of the water. Som of it was rinsed into the pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

I think that over time, the sun dulls the glazing on the tile, like the finish on a car.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

12. Back To Top    #12

If the tile cleaner doesn't work, the next thing to try is a dilute muriatic acid mixture. Try ten cups of water and then add one cup of muriatic acid. That will take off any calcium scale, which can look like a mild cloudiness when it is very lightly scaled.

13. Back To Top    #13

Will I need to wear a pair of those Space gloves in order to use the mixture?

14. Back To Top    #14

At ten to one, the acid won't be especially dangerous to handle. Wearing standard kitchen gloves is fine, but even if you do get some on your hands it won't do very much, it usually stings just a little. Clothing is more at risk, even dilute acid can damage clothing.