After Many Delays...The Stenner is up....

Is it legal to tap off one of the hot leads from the pump relay and use neutral to get 120 v to the GFCI receptacle as you did? I want to do this to my setup which currently is tapped into my 120 v GFCI pool light circuit. Really want the fail safe circuit to prevent Stenner from running without the pump on. One other thing I can do is change the coil in my Stenner from 120 v to 220 v and just jump power from my pump relay (load) to my Stenner relay (line).

Is it legal to tap off one of the hot leads from the pump relay and use neutral to get 120 v to the GFCI receptacle as you did? I want to do this to my setup which currently is tapped into my 120 v GFCI pool light circuit. Really want the fail safe circuit to prevent Stenner from running without the pump on. One other thing I can do is change the coil in my Stenner from 120 v to 220 v and just jump power from my pump relay (load) to my Stenner relay (line).

Though I'm no electrician, the GFCI hot wire/power source would appear to be code compliant. GFCI hot wire source is merely taken from the 110v leg of the 220v pwr supply. That it's a switched power source by virtue of being on a relay would not seem to make any difference from power from a continuous power source. And the GFCI neutral is wired to the panel's neutral buss bar, which would also appear inconsequential from a code compliance standpoint. But admittedly, electrical systems is not my strong suit. I hope someone with a higher pay grade in this area can weigh in to correct any errors on my part.

I assume you have a variable rate Stenner pump, i.e., no separate timer installed for your Stenner pump. That being the case, the coil swap should work but it's about $60 or $70 cost, I believe. For your 120v hot wire to the Stenner, Can't you tap off one of your two pump line outs (i.e., one leg of your 240v power supply) either one of which are 110v? That is essentially what I did.

I am not an electrician, but I like to play one on the Internet. ;)

I believe that the code compliance of your setup is dependent upon the type of circuit breaker protecting the pump:
Multiwire branch circuits can supply only line-to-neutral loads (210.4(C)) , except that a multiwire branch circuit can also supply:
An individual piece of line-to-line utilization equipment, such as a range or dryer (210.4(C) Ex 1) .
Both line-to-line and line-to-neutral loads if the circuit is protected by a device such as a multipole circuit breaker with a common internal trip that opens all ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit simultaneously under a fault condition (210.4(C) Ex 2) .

From http://m.ecmweb.com/code-basics/branch-circuits-part-1

So basically, if an overcurrent situation at the GFI will cause both wires to trip, you're good.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.