Stenner tank grommet replacement

MBPooldiy

Jun 14, 2022
Phoenix
In the process of replacing the tubing in my Stenner pump setup, I inadvertently tore the suction line grommet on the tank. The grommet is not available as a stand alone part (per Stenner) and it's been difficult to find one exactly the same size. Just wondering, does this connection need to be air tight or is the grommet simply needed to protect the tubing and ensure that the weighted strainer does not shift in the tank? If the latter, there are probably ways to rig something. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20240402_172443.jpg
    20240402_172443.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240402_112432 (1).jpg
    20240402_112432 (1).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
The problem I ran into is that most of the standard grommets are intended for thin sheet metal and don't accommodate the tank's wall thickness. I then attempted to try and reuse the original grommet that broke by removing the torn flange completely and just pressing it in from the front. But it seems to be a bit oversized and once inserted into the tank the hole was too compressed to get the tube back in. According to Stenner this is intentional and they advised against opening the hole in the tank because it might let in dirt and water. I was hesitant to go ahead with altering my tank and tried several other grommets (and was thankful for Amazon's free return policy) before finding this grommet plug (with a 9.5mm ID x 6.5mm hole) which turned out to be a perfect fit! Amazon.com

Reactions: Flying Tivo