Brown filter fingers

Hi all. We had a new liner put in this year and as in a previous year, we had the pool filled from our pond. Sadly, the pool guy filled the pool from the bottom of the pond instead of the top, clearer water:(.
Now the fingers from my filter are brown. I can get some of it off with just water pressure but not most of it. I have soaked it overnight in dishwasher soap and OxiClean with no real change. Muriatic acid directions are different on different sites. 2 questions, please:

1. Does the discoloration matter so far as functional ability?
2. Other alternatives to remove the brown?

Thanks,

RNroamer04

Hello and welcome to TFP! I'm not a DE user, but I didn't want to keep you waiting too much longer for a reply. I suspect the discoloration probably won't hamper its overall cleaning ability. Normally, for a DE filter, rinsing the grids/fingers off with water is sufficient. If there is stuff that won't come off with just water you can soak them in detergent. Ideally, you want to use pure, original TSP (trisodium phosphate), often found at your local home improvement center. The best alternative (as you've already tried) is automatic dish washer detergent. Typically you use one cup of TSP/detergent in a garbage pail of water and allow to soak overnight, then rinse off. After that, if they are showing calcium or metal stains, some may soak them in a dilute muriatic acid solution for about 20-30 minutes or until the bubbling stops. Use 1 cup acid to every 5 gallons of water. If you do try the acid wash, only fill the container enough to soak the fingers as there are metal screws and clips that could be weakened by the acid.
Here's a thorough thread on DE filter cleaning you might like to review: Use and care for DE filters
I hope this is of some help to you. Perhaps some other DE users will chime-in and reply now that this thread is being bumped back up to the top of the Que. Have a nice day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.