New Build Frisco TX 1st Pool - Intro & Plan Pics

One of the PB's we interviewed encouraged 3 different seat heights. To determine the heights, he said he would have my son and me sit on table chairs and measure 3 levels for the water. So, I guess for example what height would bring the water above my shoulders would be mid chest for my son. His above the shoulder bench would probably be the one I wouldn't use. Anymore about this process, I'm not very clear. Lol!! If it helps, I'm 5'7" and my son is 6'. Our spa is 7' with a center depth of 3'6". I think we'd have plenty of room for 3 different benches.

We went with a different PB, so we have 2 levels of benches. I didn't ask for more options. By then my head was swirling with too many other details. The two levels work fine, but "next time" I think I would give the 3 levels a try.

If you have several primary spa users with big height differences, I'm not sure how to handle that.

As far as jets, you need to consider how often you would have more than 3 people at one time in the spa. For us that's rare. In fact, it's usually just one of us at a time.

One thing for sure.... I really wasn't too interested in a spa. Now I absolutely love it especially when the pool turned too cold for swimming. I'm a water bug, so I'd be pretty bummed if I couldn't get in the water in some way during the winter.

Maybe something here helps. Happy holidays!!
Suz

Thank you Suz! I think we might go for three levels. Our PB also makes a big note that his benches are better than most because he rolls them so it's easier to slouch comfortably if you want to sit lower or something like that. Are your seats square?

For the missing bench in the pool he is just going to fill in with concrete and had already told them before we spoke Monday morning - so far great builder compared to some I've read about.

Looks like the plumbers came early this morning to start. We might have shotcrete before Christmas, but sounds like 50/50. At least the weather is good.

Tomorrow we go to a showroom to look at the glass tiles and pavers. Also got some samples of the quartz, PebbleSheen and BeadCrete by PebbleTec. Well last night the wife and boy went through and they immediately dismissed the quartz and settled on the pictured sheen and crete samples.

IMG_6206.jpg

Our contract is for the Sheen and that's what the PB wants and likes the most. He will not offer PebbleFina and the reason is that he doesn't have installers who can expose the aggregate properly they overexpose it or some other problem. His contractors for the Sheen on the other hand are one of a couple licensed by PebbleTec and very good at it.

The wife and son love the beadcrete both the look and the feel. However, the PB says it might be as much as a $6,000 upgrade, he doesn't know exact and partly because although he's done 100's of pools he's not done any with the crete.

I read much of ummgood's build and I think he got it as a free upgrade because of all the issue with the subs on his build, but then he said it was about a $1500 upgrade so I'm a bit confused. There was another quote
Finally got the quote back from the pb. $1975 to add the beads
so what's the difference since on another thread Lepidoptera said she paid about 8,000 CAD for the upgrade from sheen and that's almost $6,000.

Funny wife said
if it's only $6,000...

Too bad we had to knock down that money tree to dig the pool.

At least she was very into it for once :p

Can anyone say what the practical difference between sheen and crete swimming sitting walking. I do really want a smooth surface so was thinking about the quartz, but that's out.

And then it's better I think to have experienced installers so we should go with sheen for that reason alone.

Re: New Build Frisco TX 1st Pool - Intro & Plan Pics

Boyzu, I believe Umm got Sheen with beads added, not Beadcrete. You can do the same thing- go with the Sheen and then add in the luminous beads. It's less expensive than Beadcrete. If you look on the PebbleTec website, you can see the blends offered.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, make sure you get the abalone shells!

Any chance your PB has some pool references that will let you go visit and put your feet in the water?

All of these surfaces feel very different when submerged. Even the colors are very different when under water. So while it is nice to look at showroom samples, the look and feel when the pool is full of water is very different.

I have straight PebbleTek, no sheen or shells or anything like that. It feels perfectly fine to me and my kids. If you have the cash on hand for the upgrade and don't mind spending the money, go for it. But spending over $5k on a surface upgrade seems to me like your doing way more to pad the profits of your PB than to get something tangibly different from what is the standard product.

Then again, this stuff is so subjective that I'm not sure posts like this are of much use. Like sports and politics, you ask a thousand people for their opinions and you'll get a thousand different opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

It's under the Luminous Series in the Products tab. Blue Blend, Jade Blend and Emerald Blend. I think those are the only 3 available to add in, but I could be wrong.

I think my PB is charging around $1500 for the upgrade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I finally have a moment to update. Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year! :) With some of the good weather I could hear the neighbors playing in their pool. That will be us next year!

So the week of Christmas after the dig was great weather, but since the steel wasn't complete when the plumbers came they had to leave and then we missed the chance before Christmas. Then the rains came and we had some cave-ins. PB put it at a 6 out of 10 in terms of bad but assured us it would only cost him money and not affect the quality.

Then it rained again and more cave-in.

rain-cave.jpg

The picture above is before the additional cave-ins. They had a crew out to dig out a significant amount of dirt and then the plumbing.

plumbing1.jpg

plumbing2.jpg

plumbing3.jpg

plumbing4.jpg

plumbing5.jpg

And finally the shotcrete came Thursday the 7th. It was bad enough that the crew wanted to leave but PB bribed them with cash to stay and get it done. He jumped in with them too. I was impressed too that he came to our door with tape measure in hand to have us sit and take measures for spa seating just as Suz suggested. We went with three heights 16" 18" and 21" for the spa.

shotcrete1.jpg

shotcrete2.jpg

shotcrete3.jpg

shotcrete4.jpg

shotcrete5.jpg

shotcrete6.jpg

shotcrete7.jpg

shotcrete8.jpg

shotcrete9.jpg

It is so dirty now, but at least the pool is finally there and nice not to worry about the rain. And the upside is with the wet ground and temps I don't have to water it! :)

So what plaster did you decide on?

We're going with the sheen for the pool and maybe the BeadCrete for just the spa, it's a $650 upgrade if just the spa. It's the bottom two from my previous picture as picked out by the wife's friend who she explicitly trusts for all things decor. There's also an upgrade for glass tiles I will post a picture when I get a chance and we will have all travertine for the decking, coping and spa spillover as well as an added finger grip along the back wall. The PB is really good in that most additions he is only charging for the price of the materials not work so the finger grips are just the cost of the extra travertine required.

It's been a while with lots of activity on the pool, but I've been so busy to find time to post photos. The build has taken a lot of time, but more so just life including inside the house where have been dealing with water damage from our old dishwasher that was secretly leaking in the back corner for some time. :grrrr: We discovered it only when the hardwood floor started to buckle.

We had a week of water remediation with loud dehumidifiers and fans thank goodness that is over. Long story short, the insurance is covering a lot of damage as they will have to rebuild the one side counter, probably replace granite counter when removal breaks it, replace a lot of wood flooring and then sand, scrape, stain the entire downstairs to match as well as lots of painting. The hard part is that we will have to move out twice for a period of 2-3 days. We might get lucky too and get our deductible back as insurance is picking up the old dishwasher (make sure to keep) next week so they are looking at subrogation.

I could sure use that money for the backyard that is starting to get excitingly inviting and more expensive as I have expanded the project.

So you aren't adding the beads to the Sheen? What about the abalone shells?

No, we have even decided not to go with beadcrete in spa to save that money for where I spent it elsewhere already. I think you are going to love the additions, but first let's catch up on pool and patio progress...

After a lull in activity things started to pick up. First the plumbers got everything in and we have our equipment pad with equipment.

equip1.jpg

equip2.jpg

So where to put the flow meter I got with the test kit? If I remember it is good anywhere but best between the pump and filter yes?

equip3.jpg

equip4.jpg

Then the patio cover...

patio1.jpg

patio2.jpg

patio4.jpg

patio6.jpg

patio7.jpg

They got the fence put up and the new gate and what quality work on this gate it is more substantial than any I have seen.

Tile, spa, and coping are up. We went with all travertine and a fingertip ledge between tile and back wall I think looks very nice.

tile1.jpg

tile2.jpg

tile3.jpg

tile4.jpg

tile5.jpg

tile6.jpg

tile7.jpg

tile8.jpg

tile10.jpg

And the Son's favorite the grotto

grotto1.jpg

grotto2.jpg

grotto3.jpg

grotto4.jpg

grotto5.jpg

grotto6.jpg

grotto7.jpg

Today they are working on the kitchen structure as I write this having poured the footing yesterday

patio8.jpg

So now for the extra goodies. First, we have the gas patio ceiling heaters two 50,000 BTU commercial grade beauties, http://www.irenergy.ca/index.php/collections/habanero/ with dual heat settings. We will be warm!

Then we have planned with the builder and screen company two motorized screens for the patio cover so that we can be completely screened in and bug free! That's for the misses she loves that.

And finally we are at least plumbing now for a JetStream cooling system which promised significant cooling without the usual wetness of misting systems. I think we might love the outdoor covered screened patio with kitchen more than the pool! :)

I have to say this PB has been really awesome in many ways. He's made changes and not charged us and he's help devise the changes with real interest to make it what we want with council on his opinion but not trying to force anything. And he keeps coming back with advice from his own kitchen calling and texting and just very responsive. He didn't like something and was ready to change it.

The crews are top notch too and very helpful. I've often been able to work directly with them to make things just so. And they speak very well of the PB having worked for many cases 10+ years. Best thing I liked to hear is that in the end PB is very good at clean up and making it all shine like the shotcrete that sprayed a little on the brick.

Monday or at least next week we get decking! We've added cost there too because we are decking in the entire side with equipment pad so there will be no gravel or dirt and finally we will be out of the mud!

Wowza, that all sounds fantastic! I presume the roof gable will have permanent screening in it? And will the motorized screens have any access/door panel integrated into them so you can come and go to the pool area? Just trying to picture how all the goodies work! I love the tile and stone work, especially how nice they made the various transitions on the spa. And the heaters...wonderful. It will be like Europe, with all their outdoor heated cafe's & restaurants, on your patio.

yes both the gable opening and the side above screen will have permanent screens. the side beam is not yet in place.

the front 25' span will be on the inside so it's hidden and the side will be mounted on the outside of the beam facing the fence. we thought about a permanent with door on the side to go back and forth but opted to be able to open both fully. so we cant go in and out frequently they shouldn't be opened and closed frequently but we can also use the garage to go out and that is what our friend does who has this same screen setup she goes through garage to spa when she keeps it closed.

thanks we are loving their work so far. the grotto is a little troublesome because it's really kind a formal transition to informal but the steps are nice and it's a great view from up there!

Thanks for the screen details. It will be a nice setup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.