Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sealing the concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Sealing the concrete

Has anyone put a sealant on the concrete decking around their pool?

I understand this may be helpful in preventing cracking of the concrete during the winter months.

If you have done so, can you let me know which product you have used? I would assume an anti-slip additive would have to be put into the sealant to prevent slipping when the concrete becomes wet.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sealing the concrete

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw
    Has anyone put a sealant on the concrete decking around their pool?
    I understand this may be helpful in preventing cracking of the concrete during the winter months.
    I use a concrete sealant on my concrete decking every spring, BUT... I have colored stamped concrete decking and concrete coping.

I seal it to enhance the color and keep it looking "new" 8) . I don't seal the surface to "prevent cracking" as I don't know of anything that does that . -I'll check with my contractor to see what his opinion is, but I'm betting that it's the same.
    Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto for me. The sealant added every year to our colored textured (troweled) concrete is to protect the finish and help repel water to have the concrete last longer. It does not prevent cracking from normal physical stresses, though probably would help protect cracking or flaking caused by water freeze/thaw cycles since it does keep water mostly out of the interior of the concrete.

[EDIT] The sealant we use is "Glaze ‘N Seal Multi-Purpose Clear Sealer". [END-EDIT]
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Any recommendations for concrete sealers for tinted stamped concrete?
    24K gal. 22 X 40' Fox Lagoon IG Vinyl, 7' Fox 25 jet raised Spa, Intelliflow VS-3050 pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Easy Touch Controller, Easy Touch Wireless Remote, Pentair Legend cleaner w/ booster pump, Pentair 250,000 BTU heater, Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter, & Pentair Intellibrite LED lighting.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by hodapmj

Check into InCrete products. You might have to buy it from one of your local custom concrete shops though. I don't think Lowes or HD carry it.
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by hodapmj
    Has yours already been sealed? If so you need to know the type of sealer and reuse the same type. The concrete also has to be very clean: I do a light <very light> pressure wash on mine before I re-seal it.
    I'd also recommend that you talk with a concrete conpany in the area. They have been great and don't mind that some of ask 'less-than-brilliant" questions!
    Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy_dba
    I have colored stamped concrete decking and concrete coping.

I seal it to enhance the color and keep it looking "new" 8) . I don't seal the surface to "prevent cracking" as I don't know of anything that does that . -I'll check with my contractor to see what his opinion is, but I'm betting that it's the same.
    Terry in NC
    Hi Terry!
    Sorry for asking a q in someone elses thread but -
    since we are both in NC - what brand of stamped concrete sealer do you use? We want to seal ours, also bring back the shine, and we in need to color some spots...any recommendations?

PS: The company that installed our stamped concrete does not do residential stuff anymore so no luck in getting in touch with them.

Cheerio!
    NCSalt! IG - Mountain Lake 21x40/Vinyl Liner Fiberglass stairs/Hayward Sand Filter/Polaris 3900 w/Booster-pump (5060)/SWG Aqua Rite-Prologic-T-15 cell/Hayward Elec. Heat Pump/2 skimmers/Gallons: 18900/900 sq ft stamped concrete/Concrete Coping/TF100-Test Kit Hot tub: Dynasty Spa/Neptune Series, 5-person, 400 gallons, carbon filter plus 2 regular filters, LED color lights. "I control my pool, and not the other way around":-)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by NCSalt
    ...brand of stamped concrete sealer do you use?...bring back the shine...to color some spots...any recommendations?
    Note: Please be careful about the "shine". Even with stamped concrete that has lots of texture too much shine can mean too slick, which can cause accidents .

The sealer that I use is made by BASF, and the name is "Kure-N-Seal 30".
    It's an acrylic (solvent based) sealer and I had to go to a concrete mixing plant to buy it.

Per my concrete man, "It can take 2-3 days to seal completely, so make sure that it won't rain in that time period. Otherwise, it's can get a milky haze."
    Triad Region of NC