Pump runs slow turns off in 10 sec.

The pump turns very slowly, and then turns off. It is very hot so i am sure the thermal overload is turning it off. I checked voltage and we are at 240 volts at the breaker. This is an older installation 9 years so this is not a new install issue. Has run well all summer until now. Is it time for a new pump motor?

Welcome to TFP!

It could be a bad bearing, clogged impeller or it could be a wiring problem. Carefully check the voltage at the pump by clipping meter leads on the lugs and turning the pump on. If voltage is good, shut off the breaker and try turning the impeller with your finger to see if the motor turns freely.

Pump turns easily with fingers. Too hot to touch right now. Will pop off back and test lead voltage in a while. There has always been a screen in front of the pump and i can not feel anything when i put my hand in the front of the pump (obviously with the power off). Is it possible for the windings to get messed up during operation? I think i had a bad breaker that may have been sending 110 volts (a quad breaker where one pole looked to have tripped). Normally that should open the circuit but who knows. If that is the problem then we are probably at the point of a new pump?

- - - Updated - - -

Also when it runs slowly it was not loud.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.