First test number are in!

I don't think the higher pressure would make it louder, or at least mine doesn't, but you have a different brand than I do.

Perhaps, someone else who knows more about that particular brand can tell you more about whether they get louder with increased pressure, or not. They also generally say there is no need to backwash until you have a 20-25% above the clean pressure, which equals out to about a 5-6psi increase from your clean starting point. If your filter has only gone up from 10-12ppm, I wouldn't think it would be putting any strain on your filter because of that small of an increase anyway.

LOL If it's as cold at your house as it is just down the road at mine, your pump might be frozen lol. I hate this Fall like weather today. I certainly missed all that sunshine, and warm temps we had last week. Hopefully the noise is nothing but keep an eye and ear on it just in case it is some kind of mechanical issue. I hope this helps. Have a nice night.

LOL nice catch. I had never actually done the math on it, but the 2 guidelines being used don't match, do they? Using the 25% guideline it would actually only equal a 2.5psi increase, so your 12-13psi would be in that range for a backwash. I've personally found that I generally don't need to backwash mine until it gets to the 5-6psi higher than start/clean range. So in your case, at a 10psi clean starting point, a 5-6psi increase would actually be closer to a 50% increase. LOL I think we are going to have to just appeal this one to a higher court.

I'd recommend just using which ever guideline works best for your particular filter because all of them are different, and they all have their little quirky points on things they like, or don't like.

That's like when I put DE in my sand filter during my SLAM I started out with the diluted 1/4cup that directions said to use, and Oh no, my filter would not tolerate that amount at all. My pressures climbed so rapidly that within a couple of minutes it decreased the flow through the pump to the point that I had no water coming back through the return. I had to immediately backwash it out, and start again with an 1/8th of a cup instead. I found that on mine I can use a little more than an 1/8th of a cup, but have to use a little less than a 1/4th of a cup. So anytime I suggest someone add DE to their filter, I always tell them to watch their pressures closely because they Can and Will sometimes rise rapidly which can result in decreased, or no water flow through the pump.

EDIT: LOL I suspect the Higher court has spoken ;).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now I am having a "low flow error" on my SWG when the pump is on low. It is going to be in the high 40's tonight, so I just shut the whole system down, until I can check CYA in the morning, and backwash the filter. I will run it on high for 30 minutes before I do any tests!

It appears yours is going to keep you on your toes, and demand you backwash exactly at that given mark. I'm hoping the noise is not a mechanical issue in the product itself, and it is simply caused you to have a decreased flow from the 2psi increase, and not something more serious.

pooldv Out of curiosity, have you heard of other sand filters that get louder when the pressure increases?

Sunday morning numbers

FC: 6.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: No test
CYA: 40-50 (Lost the dot right in the middle)
Salt: No test

CYA wasn't where I was hoping it would be. I still have a little of the stabilizer left in the sock and I will hang it this morning after I backwash filter. TA didn't change after adding the MA yesterday, so maybe 90 is my magic number.

Hello,
Yeah, I'm glad to see some CYA at least registering in there though. That will help your SWG not have to work as hard.

How is the filter noise this morning? I'm curious to see if it changes the sound following the backwash. They say that the TA will find a spot and kind of settle in, so perhaps yours has. Hopefully it has and the pH will stabilize some for you. :). Overall the numbers look really good, and you're doing an awesome job maintaining your new pool. Keep up the great job and Have a wonderful day :).

I had a little stabilizer left in the sock from previous dose. I had put 4lb in the sock, when poolmath was calling for 3.75, so I pulled the sock out with a little left in it. I thought if I put the rest in (about a 1/4lb) it may come up a little more.

It was actually the pump making noise , so I shut it down last night. I ran the pump for about 30 minutes this morning before testing, and it sounded fine. I backwashed and pressure went back down to 10, and pump sounds fine still.

Humm that's odd. Perhaps just the shutting it down allowed the pressure to decrease some once it was off, then allowed it to sound "normal" again when restarted? It may just be something that is normal in that brand of pump, I can't say for sure on that as I don't have that kind. I would, however,definitely keep an ear on it, with it being a new pump just in case it is a defect, so you can be sure and have it replaced while under warranty if need be. I'm glad it's again sounding fine though. Have a wonderful day.

At least the FC is under SLAM level so you can swim..............

The CYA of 40 STILL...................we have had some people talking about the CYA NOT coming up to where it should have for as much as they added. We are still not sure why that is.......what brand did you use?

I think I am going to start having everyone save their receipts and containers. Maybe even save a tiny bit in the bottom as well. Something is not adding up. Maybe TFP can figure it out with saved stuff.

Kim (I am going out to check my CYA right now as I added some a couple of weeks ago and have forgotten to test it).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.