Getting rid of Mineral Springs

My conversion from Mineral Springs to TFPC involved adding 80 pounds of solar salt, 25 pounds of CH increaser, 9 pounds of stabilizer. I also had to reduce TA.

I also had to add a few gallons of bleach to get the FC up to my target the first time.

I still add muriatic acid every now and then, less so after I added borates. I don't have to add anything else on a regular basis, it's mostly a process of testing the water and adjusting the SWCG percentage as needed.

You need a good test kit, though.

Knowing your CYA is important, too. You want it in the right range and it can only be lowered by draining water from the pool.

No, all is good. If I have to buy a bag of Renewal for September I will. I'm just wondering what the replacement is if not on Mineral Springs. Renewal has salt, baking soda, borates and other hidden things.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you find it to be much cheaper overall than using Mineral Springs? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

No, I get that, thank you. Water definitely leaves the pool! :D

Yes, it has been my experience that TFPC is much cheaper than Mineral Springs - and the pool water is much better too. I now have control over our pool, I know what goes in and why it goes in. Like I said, once I got the water balance right it has mostly a matter of frequent testing and reducing pH with muriatic acid when needed.

Throwing in one bag of "Renewal" and possibly two bags of "Shock" every week is not only a waste of money - it's asking for trouble. It's only a question of time before you run into serious problems.

The most important step you can take is get a good test kit (e.g. the TF-100) and learn how to use it. Learn what the different parameters tell you about your pool system. Once you get a hang of it and understand what you should add to your pool - and just as important, what you shouldn't add - you'll never look back.

Thank you so much for your answer. What does TFPC stand for? I've gotten good at testing and good at adding muriatic acid as needed. I was finding the same thing - Mineral Springs did absolutely nothing - as did Bioguard Backup for Algae prevention - does nothing - and have been lenient with the shock as well. I keep the CYA up as needed. It's been a hot sunny summer. I, too, want total control of my pool! And I want something a whole lot cheaper - and I certainly do not want to put in chlorine tabs like my pool company says!

Oh, I see - thanks. An acronym for this forum. I wondered what Sparkle meant by TFPC being cheaper than Mineral Springs (brand). :)

TFPC - Trouble Free Pool Care - is a method for taking care of a pool. As is Mineral Springs.

While I have found TFPC to be much cheaper than Mineral Springs, that's just a nice bonus. The real value of TFPC is that it allows you to take charge of your pool instead of relying on people who make more money the worse your pool gets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.