Help, Please

I just bought a house with a pool 3 weeks ago and so glad I listened and bought the bigger test kit and I already had to reorder the FAS-DPD chlorine test since I was doing a SLAM with high CYA so lots and lots of drops. I listened to pool store first week and my pool continued to deteriorate. Found the forum started slam as close as i could without having a good test kit then really did it correct when test kit arrived. Once I started following advice here my pool improved each day -- slowly but at least it didn't get worse like it did when I followed pool store advice. I can now see the bottom of my pool and it will be beautiful for party this weekend. Test kit might have seemed expensive but cost me less than the stuff the pool store sold me that didn't help and will save money going forward without overpriced chemicals. Listen and follow the advice and it will clear up but will take some time but you do have to follow the advice as given.

I just bought a house with a pool 3 weeks ago and so glad I listened and bought the bigger test kit and I already had to reorder the FAS-DPD chlorine test since I was doing a SLAM with high CYA so lots and lots of drops. I listened to pool store first week and my pool continued to deteriorate. Found the forum started slam as close as i could without having a good test kit then really did it correct when test kit arrived. Once I started following advice here my pool improved each day -- slowly but at least it didn't get worse like it did when I followed pool store advice. I can now see the bottom of my pool and it will be beautiful for party this weekend. Test kit might have seemed expensive but cost me less than the stuff the pool store sold me that didn't help and will save money going forward without overpriced chemicals. Listen and follow the advice and it will clear up but will take some time but you do have to follow the advice as given.

All of this!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :goodpost:

Kim

TFP kit is beat bang for buck by far because they give you more appropriate portions I would also recommend the XL for someone who is going to slam as they will do a lot of chlorine testing, I also bought the speedstir which really makes testing easier and got free shipping. I was really tempted to buy Taylor from amazon as I have prime and can return if any problems but it is really not a great deal. If you dig hard enough and do the research you will find these recommendations (which are not my original but many who have been here for a long time) are the best. In one thread a person thought he found what equated to XL package cheaper but he made a mistake in math and it wasn't. But we live and learn and for that education sometimes we pay, I surly have. You could return that Taylor Kit and get a TF-100 but if it were me I would want to start testing right away and you should have the kit by today, just add XL kit (and speedstir if it were me). The cost of these kits is really not important compared to the ongoing savings you will reap in future. Best of luck.

PS. I do think your eye problem was cause by some bacteria or germ you had in pool as 0 FC means no sanitation. Also chlorine does not cause red eye, skin irritations. It is the chloramines which are byproducts of chlorine oxidizing organic material. A properly managed pool will not do that. Search chem geek + skin irritations. Chem geek is a very knowledgeable chemist who can explain things to lay people as well as talk technical with references with the best of them. He really knows his stuff, I do not know what he does for a living but would make a great college professor because of his skill to teach combined with his intelligence and wealth of knowledge. He is willing to help us out on this forum and really great posts. I search and read his posts frequently for education. Thanks chem geek!!

K-2006A only gives you enough reagent to do 6 CYA tests. I used that up in a month. Wish I had known better back then.
Ditto to this... The other effect of not having enough reagent is that one starts skimping on doing the test, to save the reagent for some future date when you 'really need it.'

After running out of CYA reagent, and doing without the test for a while, I felt liberated by buying a 16 oz. bottle of the stuff - I can do a CYA test anytime I please now. I just refill the K-2006 bottles whenever they run out.

Got my Taylor kit. The chlorine test show 0 Free Chlorine and 1 ppm combined.

My TA is 60 (know know how the pool store told me 0 as did my test strip)

Calcium is 120

CYA is somewhere between the 30 and 40 where I add more and it gets closer to 30 before disappearing. Leslie's said I needed more. Good thing I didn't listen and add more conditioner!

My ph is 6.6... Pretty much yellow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.