Bought a Pool and it came with a house.

Re: Bought a Pool and it came with a houses.

Ugh, I really hate moving. But still got some pool stuff done.
At 9:15 FC was at 32, at 2:27 it was at 28, so coming down.
I tried to measure TA but after 121 drops, never went red, tried the high range test (10 mil) and got to 40 drops and never went red. Assuming the high FC is messing with the results.
This evening vacuumed and brushed and there is minimal green on the bottom of the pool. At this point it is still really cloudy but can see the bottom at the deep end.
I haven't done the diluted test yet for the CYA but will do in the am. I have only backwashed once today, will do once more before bed and top off. Not sure what else to do until the FC drops so I can at least get TA and PH straightened out.
For your viewing pleasure

It's a beautiful pool. It appears a lot bluer vs green than it did in the 1st pic. Looks like you are well on your way in the right direction, hopefully it won't be long till it's crystal clear. Keep up the great job, and have a wonderful night. :)

What color was the TA test? At high FC levels it does not go from green to red ... it goes from blue to yellow I think. Check those extended test instructions in the link above.

Just had a chance to look at the extended test instructions for TA, it changed from green to yellow, I will go retest in a few.
This morning
FC 26 down from 28 yesterday
CC 0
Tested CH for the first time for grins, it was 70, was surprised it was that low with well water.
Cleaned the skimmer basket
Brushed, there was still some green behind the ladder and in the seam where the walls transition, I think I got it all.
Overall pretty clear, can see the bottom clearly
At this point I am just waiting for the FC to come down so I can see where my PH is.
Still need to come up with a plan of attack on the CYA =100 issue, I haven't had to back flush much. The clean pressure is 8 and it has been holding at 10. Thought the filter being a little dirty will help pick up some of the finer particles.
Thanks all

Brushed, there was still some green behind the ladder and in the seam where the walls transition, I think I got it all.
At this point I am just waiting for the FC to come down so I can see where my PH is.
Still need to come up with a plan of attack on the CYA =100 issue, I haven't had to back flush much. The clean pressure is 8 and it has been holding at 10. Thought the filter being a little dirty will help pick up some of the finer particles.
Thanks all

It sounds like you are doing great. One question just to clarify, you aren't currently letting the FC numbers drop yet in order to check the pH are you? With the visible algae seen just this morning I would suggest keeping it at the recommended SLAM/SHOCK levels, so that algae doesn't multiply.

As far as the finer particles do you have a skimmer sock or a knee high pantyhose in your skimmer basket. Here is an article I wrote on how much that helps and how to do it and there are other suggestions of things other people use in the comments. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-on-the-town-or-a-Winter-hunting-trip-anymore

Also you might want to consider putting a small amount of DE in your sand filter. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter (when adding DE start with low levels diluted in 2/3 gallons of water, add tiny amounts at a time, and Watch your pressure gauges CLOSLEY.

I actually had an issue with my 1st adding of DE that didn't go too well, Here is a link that tells what happened It is in comment #9 of this link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...attempting-to-get-a-3-yr-neglect-pool-back-up

I do in fact now use it a lot in my sand filter, but that day was not so good. My sand filter will only tolerate 1/8-1/4 cup of DE after that it gets all weirded out, or something lol.

As far as the high CYA the members here will gladly help you plan that attack too.

Anyway, I hope this Helps, Have a wonderful day.

Did the TA test, added one extra drop of R0007 and it changed to red after two drops. So my TA is 20. According to pool math, I need to add 22 lbs of baking soda. That sound right? I am thinking I will add 15 lbs, test and see where I am at. Not sure exactly how many gallons the pool is.
Thanks

You bring up a good point, I was thinking to let it drop to check PH since I am pretty sure it is way low. but since my fc is already pretty high should I just take it back up to slam and get it done, can fix cya after the fact. I am at 26, shock is 36, pool math says a little over 4 gallons 8.25 will get me there. I am thinking that is what I should do, thoughts?

With your pool being vinyl it is not AS important for the PH/TA but......low PH is acidic and can cause some problems to equipment.

Your CYA is a problem as well. With is being at or over 100 you are going to have to drain and refill.

Have you tested your fill water? I am curious what it is so we will know what to do when you go to refill.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bring your TA up to 50 first, use whatever Poolmath says. Then you can fix your PH after FC drops to 10 and resume the SLAM.

Hello Always.

Yes, you have a lot going on at the same time, all of which needs correcting. So as not to cause any unnecessary confusion, I ask that you Please follow the advice of the more experienced members comments listed below mine in comment #26, regarding your best plan of action to remedy your high pH level, and whether to drop your FC level now, or not. They, having been doing this much longer than I, will be able to better assist you in the appropriate order to getting all your issues corrected, and your Slam completed appropriately.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Did I mention I hate moving? I really hate moving, plus selling a house, Uggh, not fun.
Ok, so my plan of attack:
Get to TA of 50 for a first step per pool math, that is 14 pounds of baking soda. Need to run to wally world and get some.
Don't add any additional chlorine for now, get it under 10, check PH and get that resolved.
figure out when I can mentally deal with having to drain the pool again, busy Monday and Tuesday but will focus on doing that Wed.
I will do test results on the well water as soon as I get a chance, will probably be tomorrow afternoon.
Sound right to everyone?

14 pounds of baking soda added and stirred. I will test in the morning before I head in to work.
And by the way, if it wasn't for me doing my own testing, I would say the pool looks great. Pretty darn clear. I haven't let anyone swim in it yet though, not comfortable at all no knowing the PH.

The no swimming until you are sure of the pH is very wise decision. I'm glad the pool is looking clear, keep up the great job. Oh, and LOL on the "I hate moving" comment, I've been there, done that, and hated it too. Have a wonderful night!!!

I SO feel you on the moving and selling the other house! That was us 13 years ago and I STILL remember it clearly! Work at our paying jobs all day, go to new house to paint, clean, etc. until dinner, drive through a drive through on the way to the old house to eat, shower, sleep! NOT fun but so worth it!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

Updates for the day
Test results this morning at 6:33
FC 26
CC 0
TA 70 (pool must not be quite as big as I thought, or I screwed up the starting measurement, leaning towards I screwed up the starting measurement, but probably a little bit of both). But success!! Something is where it is supposed to be. :) Have to take my wins where I can.

I also tested Well water (from the faucet in the house)
FC 0
CC 0
PH - It was yellow, so less then 7.0 which is really interesting
TA - 70
CH 50

And I started a drain this morning, didn't get done before having to go to work, finished the drain tonight and now the long slow process to get it filled back up. Figured that would help not only get the CYA down but the FC too so I can fix PH.

I will at least test FC tomorrow morning to see where it is at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.