Moss? Weird growing stuff floating in the pool and exessively cloudy

Prinler

Jun 21, 2007
Barstow, CA
Hey guys and gals, been a long time since i last needed your help. This year after pulling the cover after the harsh socal winters in the high desert. Kiddding. I have been fighting it on the weekends when i can get to it.

I have what looks like moss? floating on the surface. If you try to pick it up its slimmy and breaks into a millions parts and is gone again. The skimmer sucks it up and spits it right out of my intex sand filter. When i went to the LPS they told me "good luck!" because of the abnormaley high humidity all of the pools are experiancing a bloom of this strange stuff. o_0?

I shocked my 15' AGP with 3 times the normal rate, run the filter almost constantly, backwashing every few hours to keep it moving at optimal. Nothing except skimming with the flat net helps at all. Water is quick to green even with CYA at the right levels.

I have never needed an expensive pool chem kit but it seems about time. I suspect high phos?

1. Strange mossy green algee clumps
2. Super Cloudy, unable even with the water clarifier to get it clear again.

AAAAAND GO!

I shocked my 15' AGP with 3 times the normal rate
What is the normal rate? Have you been maintaining 1-3 FC and raised it to 9? Or did you go for the nuclear option and raise it to 3X the shock level for your CYA? And what is your CYA level? Did it perhaps go up because you used powdered dichlor to "shock" it?

It's time you invested in an "expensive pool chem kit." Without it, you're working blind. It's like painting in the dark. Sure, you'll get paint on the canvas, but it won't look anything like what you want, and in the end, all you'll have done is waste paint and ruin a canvas.

As an aside, humidity means nothing. The pool itself is 100% humidity all the time. The pool store is full of it. And phosphates don't matter right now because there isn't a thing you can do about them at the moment. The manufacturer even specifies that you can't add phos-free until the algae has been treated! View the Instructions, second to the last line. Adding it on the advice of the pool store will leave you with a pool full of milk. Or worse. I'll bet the pool store didn't mention that, did they?

Yeah I smelled alittle BS when I was talking to the lady myself. She did say there were struggling this rear for the first time in 30 years with the growth from the humidity. I talked to the old timer himself. Seemed strange but who was into argue?

Shock, for my 15' agp I can shock it with one pre measured pouch of shock from either walmart or the pool store. Brings it up into the highest scale on my test kit. I add another one to that and even tried a 3rd. No change in the floaties.

What tests do I need my test kit to test for? Amazing link if you have a min? What would you buy?

here are some links for you.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Test kit I would buy if I had algae in my pool

TFTestkits.net

You need to be able to test

FC
CC
PH
TA
CYA

Here is a link to help you know what all of those mean

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Yeah a pool store will do a free test but..............is it really free if you walk out of there with an armful of stuff and your wallet empty??? Most Pool stores tests are NOT accurate for one reason or another.

Here a TFP we only use and trust our own test results. Many of us, including me, have used a pool store to test our water with disastrous results :(

Kim

How have you been chlorinating your pool? Pucks?

If you've been using pool $tore or Walmart shock, you're probably dealing with excessive CYA, which means you need more chlorine to do the same amount of work. If you're chlorinating with pucks, you're adding more CYA, which requires more chlorine. Which adds more CYA. Which requires more chlorine. Etc., etc., ad nauseam.

Order a test kit (I prefer the TF-100, but the Taylor K-2006 or K-2006C will work, as well). If you get the TF-100, order the XL Option at the same time (trust me, you'll need it). While waiting, add 1 gallon of bleach daily.

Post up some test results ASAP so we all know what you're up against and can offer more detailed advice.

Also, Review the SLAM article in Pool School (see my signature for links) -- this is what you will be doing as soon as your test kit arrives.

Until you get a test kit, use nothing but ordinary laundry bleach to raise the chlorine level in your pool. No more pucks or bags of shock, as they will only raise your CYA level, which is probably already too high, making your problems worse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.