1st Time Pool Owner...Quick question

Jul 26, 2015
Ottawa/Canada
Hello,

First off, GREAT SITE..I stumbled my way across the website and I truly think the information is outstanding. Congrats to all.

Alas, I hope I get this right in terms of adding all the necessary items required. Here goes:

Ottawa, Canada
11 800 Gallon
AG
Sand
Fill the pool water from well (very hard water)

I have some questions pertaining to my pool (I just moved into the house).

1. There are stains on the bottom of the pool from last year (guess the previous owner did not read the info. on here to maintain his pool-hehe), is there any possible way to remove the stains as the pool looks constantly dirty. I have tried to manual use a brush, add algea 15, shocked, superchlorinated and the stains will not go away.
2. Is it ok for me to add pucks directly to the filter and let them dissolve there? It seems they take 3 weeks plus to dissolve when I place them into the compartment(before the chlorine gets shot back into the pool via the return jet)-and I turned the knob to its highest setting to dissolve them more quickly.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thanks again. Cheers.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Since you have well water those could be iron stains. Try crushing a few vitamin C tablets in a clean sock and place it on one of the stains. Let it sit a couple of hours and see if it lightens the stain.

Do not add pucks to the filter or the skimmer. If the inline chlorinator is not dissolving the pucks fast enough try using a floating chlorinator instead.

Hello and welcome to TFP. To try and answer your questions:
#1 - Well water - probably metals in your water. Try: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

#2 - We discourage the use of pucks/tablets because if not managed properly, they tend to raise your CYA to an unmanageable level. Instead, you should find a store that has regular liquid bleach and rely on that as your primary sanitizer.

I don't suppose you have a Taylor K-2006 test kit do you? In Canada, that's about your only option unless you visit the states and can get a TF-100. You really need to have your own test kit and post the following number for us so we can help: FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH.

As for your pool info ..... next time, try going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!

First off that is great that you put your pool info in your post but you need to put it in your Signature so it will stay there so we do not have to go back to find it.

Stains-try putting a puck on the stain for 15 mins. and see what it does. Let us know
IF the puck does not do anything crush up some vitumn C pills, put them in a sock and put it on a stain and let us know what happens.

Pucks are not what we use here on TFP for a daily item. We use bleach or chlorine. The same thing except for the strength.

Look in my siggy to find the link to the test kits we use and love. There is a link to show you the two compared and also a link to where you can buy them.

I have some more reading to for you to do when you do the two tests.

Kim

Thanks, I will try the Vitamin C. I guess the stain is from not vacuuming enough, as that is what the real estate agent told us, could that be?

Also, I just bought a lot of pucks for the pool and I do think the inline chlorinator is not dissolving the pucks quick enough, thanks for the suggestion of the floating one instead. After these pucks are gone, I think I am going to go with liquid chlorine instead.

David, the problem with using the pucks on a daily basis is they raise your CYA (stabilizer) level to a point that your good chlorine cannot keep-up with. The only way to know what your CYA level is right now is to obtain a test kit as noted above. If you have staining that is permanent, it's probably because the previous owners simply didn't manage the pool properly to remove known metals in the water. Sweeping, brushing, adding a sequestrant on a regular basis are all parts of routine maintenance. But well water is known for staining if not properly managed as noted in the link above.

- - - Updated - - -

David, please look at this chart to understand the relationship between FC (good chlorine) and CYA (stabilizer): Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thank you Kim for providing the link on the test kits...you just made me realize the one I purchased was/is completely useless. lol. However, you stated there was a link provided where I can buy the test kits. I cannot find the link. Sorry. I would like to purchase the "Taylor K-2006 test kit" if possible. Many THANKS!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can go to the bottom of Poolmath and there is a section called Effects of adding chemicals. Enter the weight of your bucket of tabs, select trichlor, the gallons of your pool at the top and it will calculate how much CYA will be added to your pool if you use them all.

Pool School - PoolMath

These kits will not test for metals. For that, you may need to go to a pool store. But even if you do, here's a note from another TFP expert:
There's no sense in testing iron in the pool once you've added chlorine. The iron test kits are useful for testing ferrous iron before it is oxidized, such as testing the fill water. Once you've added chlorine it oxidizes nearly all the iron to ferric iron that then forms iron oxides. So now the approach is to physically remove these precipitates either through vacuum-to-waste, through sweeping to get to the filter (or to skimmer socks or batting material) and then you'll be left over with a smaller amount of iron in the water. At that point you can either use a metal sequestrant or physically remove it with something like Metal Free that tries to capture and precipitate more into the filter.

Just an update for those of us in Canada looking to purchase the Taylor products. After conducting a little research, the best route to go is actually to order it through Amazon. It was the easiest route, as well they guaranteed the product, and furthermore-it will arrive to me the quickest! After I receive my kit I will post the findings back on this thread (or maybe create a new one) and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion about using Vit. C on the stain, and also the chart on CYA relationships, and all other helpful tips. Much appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

One last question...hopefully. Is this the place where I post questions about hot tubs as well? Our new house came with a hot tub as well, and I am even more lost on it! Yikesss.

There is a hot tub forum here that will probably get you more replies from hot tubbers.

Spas and Hot Tubs

I have been maintaining my hot tub with bleach, CYA and borates for over 18 months and we are very happy with it. We use it 5+ days per week when the temp is under 80 or 90 and a couple of times per week when it is over.

Here is the process I follow,
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.