***** USE CARE AS YOU MAY BE USING MURIATIC ACID *******
--->>> DO NOT USE ANYTHING SHARP OR INSERT ANYTHING BETWEEN THE CELL BLADES THAT MAY SCRAPE THE BLADES AS YOU WILL COMPROMISE THE CELL LIFE AND MAY VOID WARRANTY!

1) Read the above warnings!
2) Turn the pump off.
3) Disconnect the cell cord.
4) Remove the cell from the manifold and using a high pressure hose nozzle, spray off as much debris as you can.
5) You can use a 1.5" clean-out-plug, a tall bucket, or the manifold to cover the cell blades with an acid solution.
- If using the manifold, remove thee upper portion of the manifold from the base (remove the tri-sensor cord and cap off the connector), then turn it upside down so that it's like a "U".
- If using a clean-out-plug, it may allow some solution to leak or drip, so be careful where you place it and how you handle it.
6) Mix a solution of 1 part muriatic acid added to 4 parts water. DO NOT ADD THE WATER TO THE ACID, as a chemical reaction may occur where the acid can splash on you.
7) Add enough solution to complete cover the cell blades. There will be an effervesence action that will bubble up and may bubble over the cell, so be careful where you place the cell.
8) Set the cell sit more more than 20 minutes or until the bubbling stops.
9) Pour the acid solution out and dilute it for safety.
10) Inspect the cell for scale and repeat from step 6 if there is still scale.
11) Once completely clean, dry off the cell terminals thoroughly.
12) Replace the cell/manifold and reconnect the cord(s).
13) Turn the system back on and inspect for leaks.

14) Determine WHY the cell scaled up.

The Rule of Thumb is this:
If the cell scales up in a week or less, it's usually due to the unit not reversing polarity properly.
If the cell scales up in two weeks or more, it's usually due to a water chemistry imbalance, according to the Saturation Index or Taylor Watergram.

Hope this helps.

On cleaning the SWG cell, make sure you actually need to clean the cell before cleaning. Cells that have obvious white scale on the plates need to be cleaned, otherwise it probably doesn't need to be cleaned. You shouldn't be cleaning the cell just because. Cleaning the cell will shorten the cell life (a little), so only do it if it is actually required.

You add DE by mixing it with water in a bucket and then pouring that into the skimmer. To figure out how much DE to use, note your filter pressure, add 1/4 cup of DE, wait 15 minutes, then repeat that process until your filter pressure has gone up by 1 psi. Once you know how much to add you can add that much all at once (after backwashing the filter).

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I need to clean the cell. It was put in last April, I thought I would take the cell out and inspect it. As for the DE I want to filter my pool better. I have a 2hp pump with a 300lb sand filter and I'm not sure if it is doing the best job. Also what is the sand level suppost to be in the sand filter? I put unions on the lines so I could check/change the sand when I need to. When I pulled the multi port of the filter the sand level is 2/3 in the filter. So is the sand suppost to be at the top of the filter or is it correct now. My reason for this is when I clean my pool I always have some sand in the polaris filter bag.

The filter should never be full of sand. It needs a fair bit of space above the sand so that the sand doesn't get washed out when you are backwashing. If there was too much sand you would have sand coming out when backwashing, but none would get into the pool.

Sand in the pool either means there is something wrong with one or more of your laterals, inside the filter, or that sand is blowing in from somewhere else in the area. You might want to try putting a stocking over on of the returns and see if collects any sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.