New member from Kentucky. Tks for letting me join your awesome group.

LOL my site Reply thingy is doing some weird stuff. It won't updates, I have no Full Editor option, it deleted my post in mid flight yesterday, and now it's double posting my comments. :brickwall: HELP!!! I think my Reply Thingy is really Broken. Can someone around here please tell me how to fix this crazy thing? Oh and by the way, my reagents did Not come in today. :sad:

Nope kim, Sorry but that one didn't help, but thank you for trying. That's the link/post I already read, and was trying to follow along with to post my pics, BUT He clicks on Full Edit option, at the bottom of his quick reply screen which is shown in that post in the 4th step, but mine doesn't have that Full Edit Option just sitting there in plain view, in order to be able to select it, like he does. My FEO isn't where it's suppose to be, and I have no idea where that option is at on mine. So until I can locate it, I can't post them yet. :(

Thanks swoopman, and kim. I'll try to post them later today. I'm going to the dr about my foot this afternoon too. Both feet are swollen, but one is Horribly swollen, and I can't bend my ankle, or my toes on that foot at all. I had it elevated for approx. 4 hours yesterday, with 2 ice packs on and off during that entire time, and it did nothing to decrease the swelling? (LOL I have pics of my swollen foot too if anyone wants to see it lol if I can figure out how to send it). My docs all tell me to Walk more. LOL I've tried to tell them I can't because when I do this is what happens so I took the pics to show them because usually by the time I get an apt the swelling has gone away).

Pogueld not a problem hun, thanks anyway.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my reagents arrive today. I hope everyone has a wonderful day, and thank you so much for your help!!!

Reagents arrived today. Not sure the 0871 was the size I actually ordered, but it's here, so that's a relief. After the high FC-22 yesterday, I just let it ride and added another gallon this morning, and a gallon this afternoon to be sure to maintain Slam.

About an hour after adding the 2nd gallon this afternoon, I did a check and my FC was 14, and my CC-1. 14 seemed like a fairly high drop down from 22, to me? I added another 1/2 gallon (recommended by Poolmath, 1 quart 3 cups, 2oz, but I just went ahead, and added the other 1 cup, 14 oz and added a full 1/2 gallon instead, to raise my level back up to 17. Pool looks better, but still remains cloudy.

I'm considering adding DE tomorrow, but am not sure if I should or not. (I have the food grade DE here, will that be appropriate to add to my sand filter per post with recommend add amount suggestions?

Also since I've got my reagents now should I check a CYA level to see if it's changed and that might have accounted for the significant fast drop from 22- 14 when it was prior to running out of reagents, and blind CL amounts being added, had been holding fairly steady at 17 with little to no liquid shock being required. Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also kim I did see the message about the pukes and had forgotten to mention them in my post yesterday but I do have some 3" ones here, and some calcium hypo-which I probably won't use) if needed. Thank you again. I hope everyone has a wonderful night.

Ok I'm not sure what was going on earlier with the 14 reading because it seems to have actually been holding after all, or at least by what I got on the 9pm reading it seems to still be holding

9pm- FC- 20.5 (which sounds more like what I would have expected this afternoon with the 22 yesterday, so I must have done something wrong when testing this afternoon and got an inaccurate reading?), and CC-1. Thank you all for all your help. Have a wonderful Night.

Hello CJ! Glad to see you're still going at it. Also great you have drops again so you aren't adding bleach blindly. You did very good improvising. Now you can be accurate with your FC. As for DE, it has its benefits at times, but be careful because it will increase filter pressure and you may need to babysit the filter a bit more at times. So if your feet are not happy, be patient. :) Also, the CYA shouldn't have changed much over the past few days unless you drained a lot of water or added stabilizer. If you need to check it, go ahead, but after that you shouldn't need to check it again for a while Just save your reagents.

While you continue the SLAM, improvements will be slow, but they will continue. Just be patient and as we always say ..... MAINTAIN. :) Have a good evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reagents arrived today. Not sure the 0871 was the size I actually ordered, but it's here, so that's a relief. After the high FC-22 yesterday, I just let it ride and added another gallon this morning, and a gallon this afternoon to be sure to maintain Slam.

About an hour after adding the 2nd gallon this afternoon, I did a check and my FC was 14, and my CC-1. 14 seemed like a fairly high drop down from 22, to me? I added another 1/2 gallon (recommended by Poolmath, 1 quart 3 cups, 2oz, but I just went ahead, and added the other 1 cup, 14 oz and added a full 1/2 gallon instead, to raise my level back up to 17. Pool looks better, but still remains cloudy.

I'm considering adding DE tomorrow, but am not sure if I should or not. (I have the food grade DE here, will that be appropriate to add to my sand filter per post with recommend add amount suggestions?

Also since I've got my reagents now should I check a CYA level to see if it's changed and that might have accounted for the significant fast drop from 22- 14 when it was prior to running out of reagents, and blind CL amounts being added, had been holding fairly steady at 17 with little to no liquid shock being required. Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also kim I did see the message about the pukes and had forgotten to mention them in my post yesterday but I do have some 3" ones here, and some calcium hypo-which I probably won't use) if needed. Thank you again. I hope everyone has a wonderful night.

Hey CJ. :)

Food grade DE is different than pool DE. DONT use food grade(what we use for the garden around these parts). ;)Lol:rolleyes:

What did the doc say about your poor foot?

I am glad you are getting the pool in line! How is it looking now?

Look at your order to make sure you got what your ordered. They will take care of you if a mistake was made on their end.

Kim

Thanks Texas, and Pogueld. I was so exhausted, and my foot hurting last night that I actually missed both of your posts.

Texas- I have had to add some more water which seems like the norm because of vacs to waste, evap, possible small leak, and backwashing-(which I might actually be doing too often anyway. I don't always let my pressure rise by 5 as suggested. I also read that a somewhat dirty sand filter actually filters better than a clean one-not sure if this is true, or not but that's what I've read). If the knee high I had over the skimmer basket is covered in algae when I go to change it out, I usually go ahead, and backwash to remove any algae that may have gotten through the knee high, and into the sand, to try to keep it from going betting back into the pool. Now today it is raining again so more free water for me :).

I'm sure a sand change is probably needed too especially since I let ladybug vac to the filter, instead of to waste, and sent dark green slimy algae through the pump, and back into my pool via pump when I 1st started this process.
Can a person backwash too much, and actually slow down progress because of it?

I did go ahead, and do a CYA and it appeared to be close to 40 vs 30, so not a significant change there, but I will adjust CL adds accordingly.

kim I have to go to have a vascular study done on the one foot today to rule out a possible blood clot, or blockage of some sort. My foot has gone done some over night being propped on the mountain I made for that purpose. But once my feet hit the floor, it won't take long for what has moved upward, to move back downward, and my feet (especially the 1 foot) and legs to become tight, red, and massively swollen again.

As far as the order I made. My 1st mistake was not printing out or taking a screen shot of my order at the time. I really think I ordered everything in 2oz bottles, yet when they arrived, every thing was in 2oz bottles except the 0871 which was in a .75 oz bottle. When I went to my account, and checked order history, and clicked on the 0871 which at that time appeared to the right of my screen, the 2oz showed up under my order history, but it only showed up Once. After that it never appeared in that section again, nor did the 0.75, but everything else I ordered did, strange huh? I then went and viewed my actual order details, and reviewed the one that came in with the shipment, both say 0.75 oz there.

The difference in the prices were only about 50cents between the 2 different sizes (so why wouldn't I have order the bigger bottle in it like the others for .50 more than one .50 cents less, but with an ounce and 1/2 less solution in it? That wouldn't have made sense at all. I tried to call them yesterday afternoon, to find out why 2 oz showed to the right in my order history then disappeared completely out of my order info on the site. When I called, I found out that their phone # has conveniently been disconnected. So I might be lucky I received anything at all from them.

I am still almost 100% certain I originally ordered the 2 oz in it, just like I did in all the others because that was the solution I was completely out of at the time, and I'd already saw how fast I used it up. I think what happened was they hadn't updated their site, were out of the 2 oz, so they just tried to slip in the 0.75 ounce although much higher priced for the amount received, thinking I wouldn't notice the switch. LOL they don't know Me very well cause I'm a penny pincher. Anyway I'm just going to use what I received, not that I can call them anyway lol, chalk it up to experience, and never order from them again. (Again, Live and Learn).

Last night I did order a 2oz bottle from Tftestkits because I know it's going to be needed. The other site still had their 2oz listed, but I was Not going to order from them again, plus they have a set $7.99 shipping fee which is more than the solution was going to cost in the 1st place.

I would like to mention this though, I would have ordered Everything from TFtestkits to start with, and help support the site, but they didn't have all the solutions I needed, in the sizes I needed them in, so that's why I went with a different site, so I could get everything in once place. LOL but little did I know the other site was going to try to pull a fast one, and think I was too stupid to notice. LOL me stupid, maybe, but too stupid to notice something pertaining to money, lol not a chance.

I'm going to do a FC check as soon as the rain lets up, and add CL, if needed, accordingly. (I'm being lazy this morning for sure). Then it's off to the hospital for tests on my massively swollen leg, and foot.

I'll try to post some pics, and today's FC levels later, but as tired as I am today, I'm not making any promises. I hope everyone has a wonderful day, and again thank you for all your help, and continued support.

Ok I just checked my levels at 8:30 Am

They Are apparently fluctuating up and down FC-13, CC-1 so the 14 down from 22 drop yesterday must have also been correct? Is that significant bouncing of levels normal, in this late stage of the process following a few days of holding fairly stable? Last night and this morning are the 1st times since SLAM began that the numbers have not risen and/or declined at a fairly steady expected range. But now they are yo-yoing. Am I doing something incorrectly? Does the rain have anything to do with the weird bouncing numbers?

I'm going to recheck at 9:30 am, just to see what changes the 8:30am 10% Liq CL add has on the number. The high up and downs seem like they are going to be a little more difficult to keep up with, and trying to prevent dropping below SLAM. I think I'm going to continue to shoot for 17ppm, check it as often as I'm able 1, 2, or 3, hour checks, and keep my fingers crossed that the numbers stabilize back out again.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you all and have a nice day.

A SLAM can be weird like that. It is almost like it says "hey I found something new to eat!" and drop down. Maybe the rain stirred it up and the FC did it's thing.

Keep doing what you are doing. It is working.

Kim

Tks kim the 9:30 FC was 22.5ppm. Just smh. LOL so I'm just going to let it ride for a few hours, and see what happens. I gotta get ready to go to the hospital for testing anyway, so that 22.5 FC can just work away while I'm gone. Have a nice day, and thanks for everything.

The picture of the dark green/ almost black pool water is my before doing anything to it, and before starting to SLAM. LOL please overlook the rusty ole storage building in the background, it needs to be emptied out and taken to the dump.

The pic with the dark (recently removed) but slightly lighter green water was after about a truckload of algae, dead rotting leaves, but mostly it was thick, gross, stinky, slimy, yucky, tar like substance, that had already deteriorated, and had set up a 3 story home on the bottom of the pool in the 1st pic was beginning to be removed. All the debris that was removed from the bottom of the pool was removed by using a leaf rake (fun, fun). You can see the tons of algae, that was unable to be netted out, floating around in it.

The pic of the lightest green water is after everything that could be was removed from the bottom of the pool. I had before finding this wonderful site added several bags of powder shock, Calcium Hypo, and algaecide -(all Bad things), attempting to get it to clear up with out having a clue what the heck I was doing, or bothering to check any levels etc. I also added the 1st 10 gallons of 10% Liquid Shock to begin SLAM which had been added about an hour when the lighter green pics were taken. If you look closely at the top of the pic you can see huge clumps of algae that were already making their way to the top, YUCK. So there was still a long way to go.

The picture of the gross skimmer basket is to show just how well a knee high panty hose helps catch small particles that would have otherwise gone to the filter, and most likely right back into the pool. This was taken after 1 hour of it being placed in the skimmer basket. They also work great 1st thing in the morning to trap all those little tiny bugs that get into the pool at night, and are floating dead on top everywhere in the morning which saves you from having to skim the top as often, if at all.

(Note: That's the SKIMMER BASKET, NOT the FILTER BASKET: Please be sure you know the difference in the 2 before attempting to use this little trick at all).

****** Please be sure to Use caution if you decide to use knee high pantyhose in your skimmer basket because they can cause the basket to float up. The hose can possibly get loose and travel into your filter too. (Note: they will initially float up a little before you start your pump but if they have a balloon like effect towards the toes of the pantyhose, which the toes of the knee highs should be positioned in the center of your skimmer basket, that's when they Will float your skimmer basket up too, which causes it to catch on your Weir door, and causes you to have to prime your filter again because of air.

The best way to quickly catch it trying to float the basket is to not put the cover over your skimmer hole until after you start the pump, and are 100% sure all is well/safe in your basket because it can tear up your pump, and will, if not properly primed.

I also personally do Not recommend using knee highs in your skimmer basket while you will be away from it for an extended length of time because they can fill up quickly, especially if the pool has a lot of algae and debris in it, and this too can prevent adequate water from getting to your pump and possibly burning it up. Only use them when you can monitor them closely.

Be sure to change the knee highs out frequently about every 1 to 2 hours, (they can be washed with a garden hose, and dipped in diluted bleach water then rinsed again, but if they grossly covered in algae it is better to toss them, and use a new one the next time around to prevent resubmitting any algae lurking on the used panty hose from getting returned back into your filter/pool.

Do Not leave knee high panty hose on the skimmer basket during backwash/rinse/recirculation cycles. Use them on Filter cycle ONLY. Some people use them when vacuuming the pool too, but I personally do Not. The suction is greater during this time, and they are more likely to get sucked into the pump, plus they have a tendency to fill up, get clogged, preventing the water from passing through correctly causing you to lose prime to your filter because of air, which could burn up your pump.

As far as how my SLAM process is going, so far I am on day 5 of the SLAM. So far I have used 34 gallons of 10% Liquid shock. The pool is looking much better (it is still cloudy, but no longer green). I'll try to post a pic a little later of how it's looking now.

I'd like to take the time to again thank the wonderful people on TFP, who have been there to help me every step of the way. I have learned so much in these past few days, and I have you ALL, and this wonderful site to thank for it. Have a wonderful night.

Attachments

• DSCF2202.jpg
    DSCF2202.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20150718_164036.jpg
    IMG_20150718_164036.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 48

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support