Help! Finally realized that the pool store is crazy....

Three more test cycles under my belt. Last one had the FC at 15 and CC at 0! Will do a 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, and maybe a 9pm test. Then I'll check in the morning to see if we've passed the OCLT.

Once this is over - how often should I check the chlorine? Are you guys checking it every night? How much 8.25% are you averaging a night/a week? I bought 21 121oz jugs for the slam and it looks like I'll have 10 or 11 unopened when this is done, so I'm well stocked, just curious.

I test about every other day, sometimes even every 3rd day....unless I've made some alteration or added something, then I test the next day. Keep in mind I have a SWG so I know its chugging along mindlessly making chlorine.

Lexielou, I would test every day for a while until you get used to how much chlorine your pool uses. (My 17.5k pool needs 7-9 cups per day). I test everyday, but I could probably skip every now and then as long as I add 9 cups daily.

You'll also get a sense for your pH levels. I only test every two days for that.

Lexie you can knock your testing back some now.

Once you are done with the SLAM you can/should test FC, CC and PH every day. Keep a log of the results. Test TA every other day and CYA once a week.

After a while you will start to see a pattern - sunny day = lose of ?FC, cloudy = lose of ?fc. Once you start seeing an average you will be able to skip testing every other day.

PH and TA work hand in hand. You will see where you PH likes the TA to be. You might have to play with your TA some. Some pools like a TA of 70 to hold a PH of 7.5 some like TA of 90 for a PH of 7.5. YOU will have to find what YOUR pool likes.

CYA-once you get it to 40 you should be set.

You have done an awesome job!

Kim

Thanks everyone! I just took the final reading of the night... For the previous reading, I had gotten 15.5, so I added 2c of bleach. This reading (an hour later) was 17... ?!? Not sure what happened there, unless it was different b/c of the light source. Sun had set so I used my cellphone flashlight. I dunno. We'll see where we're at in the morning, but hubby came home from a couple of hours of hockey this evening and said he could immediately tell the difference.

I'll test every day for the first week or so. I know I still need to add some calcium, still, but I was going to wait until Monday morning for that.

Tested this morning, down to 11.5 but still no CC. Added a bit over a gallon and will test one more time before church, add whatever's needed, and then let it go till tomorrow since the party will go till late. Maybe test before bed so I can have some working overnight.

Two questions:

How in the heck are there still two water bugs swimming around in the pool, lol?!?

And more seriously, I work evenings and have to leave the house around 3 Mon-Thurs. To continue SLAMing for the next few days, should I put a larger dose of bleach in right before I go so that it stays above SLAM level till I can get home and check it around 11pm? Hubby has his hands full with other things when he gets home with the kids, so it's not something he's going to learn and check every two hours while I"m gone...

Party was a success last night - thank you everyone! Will post a pic of the pool later. Even after the huge swimming load last night and no additional bleach before bed, FC was 8.5 this morning and CC was .5. I added 2 jugs of bleach this morning and will check this afternoon.

The kids are so excited to swim this week, will the SLAM continue to work for the most part if I keep the FC level slightly below 16, say 14 or 15? Or would that be a waste of bleach? I'll shoot it up to 16 before bed, but it's supposed to be a hot, sunny week.

And should I wait until after the SLAM to balance the CH? I know I still need to add about 25 lbs of salt to bring that up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We will work on the different parts of the water once you tell us you are done with your SLAM.

Let the kids swim. Just tell to PLEASE NOT pee in the pool LOL

Like say just keep it at just under SLAM while they are in the water.

Kim

Pic from the party!
20150727_075530.jpg
Ran out of reagent yesterday morning, but already had a refill ordered. Should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, we put another bottle of pipe sealant in the pipes and are running it for 24 hours bc hubby is convinced we lost a ton of water at the party. I think that with 8-10 grown men doing cannonballs in the deep end and playing chicken, we just had a bunch of splashout, but it won't hurt. I put half a gallon of bleach in last night to try to keep the level up and it was the clearest it's been yet this morning! Almost sparkling, even. Thursday morning, after the gel cures in the pipes, I should be able to resume the SLAM. Cleaned the filter this morning and couldn't believe the amount of dead grey algae I hosed off. And no rain in sight in the forecast!! We will definitely be getting our swim on soon...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.