Help! Finally realized that the pool store is crazy....

Ok! Just tested the chems with my new test kit.

FC: 0.2
CC: 0.2
pH: 7.4 (guess I don't have to mess with that after all!)
TA: 70
CH: 140

And drumroll, please....

CYA: 40!!!!!

Now, to just get the line unblocked and we'll be in business. I have 21 gallons of bleach on hand, so with this lower than expected CYA result, I think that should do it!

I'll get the CH back up after the SLAM.

LexieLou.. love the pics of your pool. I lived with one of those older pools. Most people think its a gunite shell when they warn that it may float. This one looks similar to the construction of the old pool we had in a house that I rented for a few years. If its the same it won't float. Our's was constructed of a concrete slab with structural (probably cinder blocks) on the sides. and then the whole thing was plastered. So it was built like a house! It wouldn't float any more than someone's basement. We use to drain ours annually to paint and refill. That was back in the days when water was not metered in our area, it was flat rate based on your house size and acreage and that sort of stuff. Those days are long gone. Thinking back on it the whole filtration system was under powered for the pool. there was no automatic sweep.. this was old school, someone went out in the morning and vacuumed the bottom. And we were just renters so we didn't care.. we were just jazzed to have a pool. So in the winter it would turn into a frog pond.. then in the spring we would drain.. paint and refill!

LexieLou.. love the pics of your pool. I lived with one of those older pools. Most people think its a gunite shell when they warn that it may float. This one looks similar to the construction of the old pool we had in a house that I rented for a few years. If its the same it won't float. Our's was constructed of a concrete slab with structural (probably cinder blocks) on the sides. and then the whole thing was plastered. So it was built like a house! It wouldn't float any more than someone's basement. We used to drain ours annually to paint and refill. That was back in the days when water was not metered in our area, it was flat rate based on your house size and acreage and that sort of stuff. Those days are long gone. Thinking back on it the whole filtration system was under powered for the pool. there was no automatic sweep.. this was old school, someone went out in the morning and vacuumed the bottom. And we were just renters so we didn't care.. we were just jazzed to have a pool. So in the winter it would turn into a frog pond.. then in the spring we would drain.. paint and refill!

This is definitely similar! It is concrete. When we first moved in, we drained it to find that the old owner had patched some cracks with automotive body putty, lol. We scraped it, sealed it, and epoxied it - looked great! We'll have to drain and redo that process in the spring. Seeing the flow now (when the pump is working, lol) tells me that ours was also very underpowered until recently.

basements float. heck I've seen whole houses float. when I lived in Minnesota, the house we were in would gain 4" in the winter. the stairs had a small ramp to accommodate the rise and fall. In the spring and summer it was basically floating on liquid sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You guys. It's been awhile since I've had something in my life so full of ridiculous drama! I got home last night, congratulated hubby on clearing it out, and he says, "Well..."
Evidently it didn't all break up and when he started vacuuming again, it choked up again. He was at Home Depot at 6am this morning to buy a 50ft drain auger and came home to work on it before work. We ended up cutting off the plumbing from the ground to the pump bc it had so many bends in it and the snake couldn't go through. My FIL just left after finally getting out two good-sized stones and a bunch of wood shards (probably from the tree that fell). We'll be replumbing the pump this afternoon and I'll slam it tomorrow (hopefully). Oy! But hey, we've been fighting a suction leak, too, so maybe replumbing that section will fix that, too!

- - - Updated - - -

We'll dredge the bottom of the pool much more carefully in the future if it ever gets this murky again, that's for sure!

We'll dredge the bottom of the pool much more carefully in the future if it ever gets this murky again, that's for sure!

LEXIE! How can you say this?------------"if it ever gets this murky again" That is what we are here for! LOL

With our help you should not have to go through this again.

I want to know how the rocks got in there???Hummmmmm

Kim

This is definitely similar! It is concrete. When we first moved in, we drained it to find that the old owner had patched some cracks with automotive body putty, lol. We scraped it, sealed it, and epoxied it - looked great! We'll have to drain and redo that process in the spring. Seeing the flow now (when the pump is working, lol) tells me that ours was also very underpowered until recently.

I see you have actual built in plumbing.. ours was just a big tub.. and it looked like someone (previous tenant/owner) took a corner of the deep end and bricked it off at a 45deg angle. Within that triangle a bottom intake was installed and a skimmer at the top. You could tell it was added in well after the pool was built. That was plugged into a old cartridge filter, It was pretty primitive.

I'm sure the pool has since been retired.. Toward the end of my stay at that house I could see evidence of the roots from 60year old redwoods that surrounded the property were starting to come through the pool in the coping at the top.. I'm sure it was into the substructure as well.

Great progress so far.
Mark

Highly recommend using this between your vacuum hose and your port in the side of the pool. It will catch rocks and sticks as well as leaves:
Hayward W530
Thanks - I'll check this out!

And I definitely don't plan to let this happen again, lol!

The rocks are from when the tree fell on the pool this spring. Some of the white concrete/quartz edging broke off and fell in.

We are at full flow and power now! I've been SLAMming since 9am... here are my chlorine numbers:

last night
FC: 0.2
CC: 0.2

9am - added 6.3 jugs of 8.25% to get FC to 16

FC: 7.5
CC: .5
added 2.3 jugs

FC: 13.5
CC: .5
Added 2qts and 2cups

The CC reading is probably less than that, but with the frequent testing and big FC dips at first, I'm using the .5 test instead of the .2. The water is barely pink before I put in the one drop of titrating agent to totally clear it up.

Ok, still some fluctuations... down to 14.5 once and 15 about half an hour ago, but the pool is definitely clearing!!

Question on the CC test. A few times, one drop has turned the pink clear, but I've left it in the cylinder while pouring bleach in, and when I look again 5 min later, there's a slight blush that one more drop takes care of. Should I be counting those extra drops towards the CC? Or is it just delayed chemical reactions that don't count?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.