Radioactive nightmare..

I'm going to chime in here. It may all seem overwhelming at first, it sure was to me, but the longer you look at it, and the more posts you read here (other people's stories are really good learning experiences), the better you will understand and the less "mooshed together" all the information is. Trust me on this one. :D The TFP people have your back!

Ok these are the numbers from a 6 way drop kit.
pH- 8.2
TC- 0
CYA- a tiny bit more than 30
TA- 50
TH- 140

Of course I can't find out how to test for free chlorine which would be why I need the better test kit. I realize that. But these are the numbers for now. Hubby claims he shocked it on Saturday but did not vac and he added 4 one inch chlorine tabs to floater.

I have been chlorinating using alternate bleach and chlorine tabs. I found that 4 one inch tabs was not enough so I started using 6-8. The last time we were in the pool nearly a week ago the chlorine smell was present and had not been before. I like to smell the chlorine. Don't judge me. :party:

- - - Updated - - -

I have always had a sparkly clear pool. Never have I ever encountered this problem. It seems that if my husband actually did add the shock to it, it made the water greener..if possible.

I have been chlorinating using alternate bleach and chlorine tabs. I found that 4 one inch tabs was not enough so I started using 6-8. The last time we were in the pool nearly a week ago the chlorine smell was present and had not been before. I like to smell the chlorine. Don't judge me. :party:

- - - Updated - - -

I have always had a sparkly clear pool. Never have I ever encountered this problem. It seems that if my husband actually did add the shock to it, it made the water greener..if possible.

Not judging, but the "chlorine smell" is usually a bad sign for pools. Properly chlorinated pool water has hardly any smell at all. Pool water that is full of combined chloramines (the by-products of chlorine reacting with bather waste) has that "chlorine smell".

When you finally get your pool going the TFPC way, you're going to look back on your old pool water and think, "geez, what cesspool!"

Good luck, you're getting great advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot test FC, but you can test TC and keep some chlorine in the pool. Since you are starting with 0 TC, add 92oz of 8.25% bleach. Test every hour by diluting 1 part pool water with equal part distilled water or boiled water (to kill chlorine). Once pool water is mixed, test it and multiply the result by 2. If your test shows 4, call it 8. Your SHOCK level at 30ppm CYA is 12ppm FC. Adjust TC to 12ppm by adding 8oz of 8.25% bleach for every 1ppm of FC you need to add. So if your test result was 4, doubled to 8, you're 4ppm shy of 12ppm so add 4*8oz, or 32oz of 8.25% bleach. You need to test at least once an hour at first until TC starts to hold and you can back off a little bit on the testing.

You do need to get pH between 7.2 and 7.5 before starting.

You will still need a recommended kit complete the SLAM process, but this will give you a head start.

I went ahead and drained and the pool since I haven't been able to swim in over 2 weeks. I scrubbed the bottom with bleach and water. There was still over an inch of water that wouldn't drain. I am now refilling and I went to check water level a few mins ago and at nearly half full it is still looking pretty green.

I went ahead and drained and the pool since I haven't been able to swim in over 2 weeks. I scrubbed the bottom with bleach and water. There was still over an inch of water that wouldn't drain. I am now refilling and I went to check water level a few mins ago and at nearly half full it is still looking pretty green.
Have you put any chlorine in the pool? How much?

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I could be wrong but it sure sounds like your fighting the system here. The TFP system has been proven to work time and time again without having to drain and refill (except for high cya). Sure its easier to just drain and refill but as you are seeing your still going to have the same problem. Get yourself a better test kit. Read the links provided and show your pool whos the boss without having to run to the pool store every week and just throw money at your pool. Go ahead and start soaking 32 oz by weight of stabilizer and a gallon of bleach to start. Keep adding a gallon per day till you get your kit and check for your FC.

you know though, if water isnt that expensive in TX, that pool isnt THAT big, so draining it might just be a way faster option than a long slam. btw, that green color was crazy! hopefully you'll modify your technique a bit and get a bit more control in the long run.

you know though, if water isnt that expensive in TX, that pool isnt THAT big, so draining it might just be a way faster option than a long slam. btw, that green color was crazy! hopefully you'll modify your technique a bit and get a bit more control in the long run.
Pool has already been drained & refilled.

Dom

In all seriousness Brandyfer, you need to stop doing what you think is right. And seriously take a listen to the people on this forum. It may take some time or it might not, but do not look for a quick fix. Quick easy fixes are what made your water turn green in the first place. Once you get on the right path it will become easy and quick. But you need to understand how to take care of your pool correctly.

So please don't "do things" because you think its right. breathe and take the advice from the people here very seriously. You will be so happy you did. Like most have said here, buy a nice kit (at least the k-2006 with XL option, or the TF-100). Then follow the advice and directions from the lifetime members on here, they will not steer you wrong.

In all seriousness Brandyfer, you need to stop doing what you think is right. And seriously take a listen to the people on this forum. It may take some time or it might not, but do not look for a quick fix. Quick easy fixes are what made your water turn green in the first place. Once you get on the right path it will become easy and quick. But you need to understand how to take care of your pool correctly.

So please don't "do things" because you think its right. breathe and take the advice from the people here very seriously. You will be so happy you did. Like most have said here, buy a nice kit (at least the k-2006 with XL option, or the TF-100). Then follow the advice and directions from the lifetime members on here, they will not steer you wrong.

agree with you on taking advice from this website. but for a pool of her size, I kinda think draining and refilling was the right choice. that said, the OP will still need to SLAM to get the pool ready and will need one of the test kits. and then needs to follow our advice if she wants to maintain her pool with the TFP system

:poke: Hello. :rant:
Please understand we're not trying to sell you products or have any other agenda other than helping you enjoy your pool.
You're not killing the algae. You need to add chlorine and lots of it. You've got to kill what's in your pool, other wise your just wasting your time and money.
:testkit: If you don't or can't get the recommended test kit well that's what it is, but we are limited on how much help we can provide then. Without accurate numbers it's shooting in the dark :brickwall:. Some can give better guess than others. But with accurate numbers we'd all be in agreement with the amounts to add to the pool.

Here's the nuts and bolts to what you need to do/know :study:: Pool School - Defeating Algae

Good Luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.