high de filter pressure; low jet return

zray

Jul 11, 2015
FREEHOLD, NJ
I have an in ground pool with DE filter. We are experiencing high pressure in the de filter and also have low return on the jets in the pool, to the point where all the jets will not all work at once. We recently put in a new pump, same HP as the old one (1.5). We also backwashed and hosed down all the grids, which were replaced the beginning of this season. Any thoughts?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What does the water look like?
You add DE after every backwash and cleaning right?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The water was clear on Thursday. But on Friday, when we noticed the high pressure, we turned off the pump on the pool got cloudy. Today, after backwashing, we turned on the pump. But the pool is still cloudy. We added shock, chlorine and baking soda.

I am not sure about the size of the pool, as we bought the house 3 summers ago. The pool is 15 years old. The pump and filter grids are all new, replaced the beginning of this season. It is large and inground. We are in Freehold, NJ.

You just have a clogged filter. It sounds like you were just staying even with an algae bloom. One day with no circulation shouldn't have made it go cloudy, not unless you had a massive pool party or something. Odds are you've been killing algae as fast as it grows, creating a never-ending supply of dead carcasses to filter out. That clogged your filter, and now the water is going to get cloudier and cloudier until it goes green.

Adding "shock: may not have been the right thing. If you're already suffering from high CYA/ inadequate chlorine for your CYA level, and that "shock" contained dichlor or trichlor, you may have made things worse.

My guess is you need a SLAM. That's shock level for days and days until it's cleared up and you pass a couple tests that show the algae is indeed dead. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.