Milky white water after gritty substance removal

My CYA level is 0, that's kind of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

FC is 1, CC is 0. I think my levels are too low to make the Fc/CYA chart useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, should I only use liquid bleach/chlorine or should I use a filter tablet too?

- - - Updated - - -

Also: this note is a little scary on the pool math page "Note: Be careful if your CYA is really and truly zero!"

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful of what?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put in 11000 gallons made the "now" 0 and the "target" 12, and I also got 135 oz of 12.5% chlorine

Just a couple of steps here since it's "the middle of the night".

Do you already have your bleach or liquid chlorine/shock? If it's bleach it's probably 8.25% make sure you have that set on the pool math page.

BTW, the 12 is the FC as pogueld said above. That is the number you're getting from your FAS/DPD chlorine test. (The one where you add the powder, the water turns pink (if there's chlorine in the water) then you add and count the drops until it goes back to clear. 12FC would mean it took 24 drops to turn the test water clear again.

OK it's been a crazy long day for me. I just read back through the thread again and it looks like so far you may have only done the OTO (Color matching) chlorine test.

You'll need to use the FAS/DPD test for your SLAM. Here's a link that has videos of the tests. https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

Do you already have CYA ready to put in the pool? (Again, I'm only asking because it's late so I'm trying to figure out if you're researching for tomorrow or actually adding this stuff now)

Want to make sure you get off on the right foot. Hopefully I'm making sense here.

I've been dealing with a lot today, husband's birthday we both had to work...trying to get some sort of "cake" and present together before work, then at the same time, mom waiting for a standby flight got stuck in the airport in orlando from at least noon to after 8pm...got to her destination and sister wasn't there to meet her (30 minutes late!) and she hasn't eaten all day etc etc. trying to google 24 hour restaurants between nyc and ct... o m g it's a stupid day LOL

At least pools can be fixed! LOL

I already did the FAS/DPD test after I did the color match test; I purchased the test kit and did it. I was going to add chlorine to the pool today but I still am not sure how much is required for a SLAM. The Chlorine I have here is 12.5%. Is that the right number to enter into pool math?

I am so sorry I have not seen any of your posts. For some reason I am not getting notified of your posts!

Okay I am here and will keep this window open and refreshed!

Put the stabilizer (CYA) in a sock. Put a rubber band on the top of the sock. Hang the sock with a rope in front of your return. You can tie it to a chair or something to keep it there. Give it a few good squeezes when you are out there.

SLAM- I am going to link it to you. I am also going to talk to you about how best to do a SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

the MAINTAIN is the MOST important part of this procedure! The more your maintain the SLAM level of FC (tested using your powder test) the faster your pool will clear.

If you are going to be gone from the pool for more than a couple of hours you can push the FC up some go give you a buffer while you are gone. You need to do your best to keep it AT or ABOVE SLAM level.

When you are putting your numbers in the Pool Math and using the FC/CYA chart do the CYA levels as if it is showing on the test when you look for the FC levels you should be at. The CYA will not show up on the test until about a week.

I am going back to reread your posts to make sure I covered everything. PLEASE ask questions!

Kim

You need to test and dose your pool at LEAST 4 times a day. More if you can.

When I used pool math and set the pool volume at 11,000. Said FC was 0 and needed to go to 12 (SLAM level for a CYA of 30) you would add 153oz of 11% bleach/chlorine.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Now saying that you will need to test your FC each time. Once you test you will put the info into pool math and it will tell you how much to add to get the FC back to SLAM level.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.