Heater not turning on

tmas

Mar 3, 2010
Houston
My Hayward heater won't turn, is displaying a LO service code and won't get out of bypass mode. I have found the following troubleshooting tip but I don't know how to fix the problem.

Thanks!!!

The display will continue to show “bo” for 10 seconds, then “LO” will be displayed again.
a. If the remote thermostat does not generate a call for heat the “LO” error will continue to be a “soft” lockout. The control will accept keypad inputs to change the mode and it will remain in the selected mode when the error code is cleared. The heater will not operate until the error code is cleared.
b. If the remote thermostat generates a call for heat the “LO” error will be a “hard” lockout. The control will accept keypad inputs to change the mode and it will remain in the selected mode when the error code is cleared or the call for heat is removed. It will not be possible to switch out of Bypass Operation until the error code is cleared.

Re: Hester not turning on

"LO" can also indicate poor water flow, temperature limiter error, or, the communication wire between the heater and controller is shorted.

Which model Hayward is it that you have?

Re: Hester not turning on

So it's the ED2 series. You could try jumping out the pressure switch. If "LO" remains, then check the limit switches. If that isn't it, then I suspect the comm wire between the heater and the control unit has an issue.

First, it is a HDF unit. Don't know if that makes a difference.

The filter is clean.

I tried jumping the 2 limit switches with no luck. I'll try the comm wire next. Is there anything special about that?

As a side note, when I pull the connector for the temp sensor the blower will turn on and then the unit throws a SF error code.

I talked to a pool guy, he immediately went to getting a new control board. :(

Thanks again!

You mean FD unit?

Yes if you pull the temp sensor wire it will put out a SF error. It's supposed to.

Removing the comm wire will allow the unit to operate independently from the control system. You would also need to take the heater out of bypass operation. You can find this in the manual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.