10+ yr old motor died

ivyleager

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
Raleigh-Durham,NC
I currently have a 10 yr old Sta-Rite Dura Glas II 1HP one speed motor that died this weekend. Actually rather surprised it has made it this far. I run a pump pretty much 24/7 in the heat of the summer for max water turnover. I only have one skimmer return and if I reduce run time I have water issues. Equip is near bedroom, so I'd prefer a 2 speed at this point. I've seen a few posts talking up the the SuperFlo 2speed and/or VS. All responses to prior threads say it's an easy switch out w/o need to redo wiring. Already have a surge protector and will get a Duke Power rebate on motor when I switch.

My concern is overpowering my system. It's pretty bare bones and simple. 36 x 18 vinyl, Hayward 24" sand filter and 2" piping (I think). The VS option is rated up to 1.5 HP...pretty sure I don't need anywhere near that capacity. However, the VS does give me programmable option and I can ditch the timer box, yes? The regular 2 speeds seem to be manual unless I am reading the descriptions incorrectly. I really do not want to be going out there every evening to change speed.

The prices I see online don't appear to be that ungodly high. However, being a tech deficient person, I have no idea which is better for my system and just better overall. I need tech guidance at this point. Thanks in advance.

Go Cubbies!!!

Cary,

Unlike a single speed pump, where the HP is fixed, with a VS pump, the listed HP is the Maximum HP, not the HP you would use most of the time. In my case, I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo, which would be way too much for my small pool if it were not for it being a variable speed pump. Like you, I run my pump 24/7, but in my case I only run it at 1200 RPM which is about 170 watts. And, unless you are within a foot of the pump, you can't even tell it is on.

Costs me less than $10 a month to run. My "guess" is that your pump costs you about $100 a month to run.

You can connect a two speed pump to a two speed timer, so you don't have to manually control it.

The SuperFlo would give you 4 speeds that you select. As you noted, it has an internal timer, so no external timer is required.

Are you planning on changing out the entire pump assembly, or are you just going to replace the motor?

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for reply. Hubby just wants to change out the motor at this point. Can get one <$170 online. Next year we are looking to add SWG and variable speed. I liked what I read for them. Need to save up a bit for that. My electric bill spikes a little more that $50/month with running full time. Took a hit with daughter's study abroad this semester. Kids, build them a pool and they grow up a leave. :D

Cary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.