10 years into it, and just now trying TFP Method to fix the swamp

Interesting side note the I discovered about my old Aquacheck Select test strips..

While they are worthless for figuring out the chlorine levels, in side by side testing with my kit they have however been spot on regarding PH, hardness and total alkalinity.

I still think you're low on chlorine. You said you're CYA is 70. The chart says 28ppm during the slam process. Use the pool calculator to find out how many gallons of liquid chlorine you're going to need to get it up to say 32ppm. Then .... you have at least some buffer before you add some more. If you're at 15ppm of FC then you'll need 5 gallons of 8.25% to get you there.

I still think you're low on chlorine. You said you're CYA is 70. The chart says 28ppm during the slam process. Use the pool calculator to find out how many gallons of liquid chlorine you're going to need to get it up to say 32ppm. Then .... you have at least some buffer before you add some more. If you're at 15ppm of FC then you'll need 5 gallons of 8.25% to get you there.

You are missing the last test results update.

Yesterday I drained off and refilled another 5k gallons and currently have the CY-A level down to 55.

Chart indicates a FC level of 22 for shock/SLAM levels at that CY-A (unless I am missing something.. which is possible).

The nice thing about the CYA level and needing more testing chemical is that it should be the least variable of the readings as you aren't adding anything to the pool to increase it !!

The nice thing about the CYA level and needing more testing chemical is that it should be the least variable of the readings as you aren't adding anything to the pool to increase it !!

No, but with all of the backwashing which will be required I will almost certainly loose some more CY-A over the next 5-7 days and thus the need to keep monitoring it.

Just checked again, FC is at 16 now so I added enough bleach to bring it back to 22. I'll check again in the morning to see how much is lost tonight.

Day 6

NTR_6135_zpsb8c43374.jpg

NTR_6133_zps0601f3e9.jpg

Still cloudy/murky but color profile is now headed out of the greens and into the blues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 8

Well it is to the point where I am losing about 4 in FC overnight and down to only having to add about 1-2 bottles of bleach per day to keep the FC up to SLAM levels.

NTR_6138_zpsc5393433.jpg

NTR_6141_zpsee2a5cdf.jpg

Had a bit of change in the color and clarity of the pool since Saturday. Puzzling is the fact that I haven't had to backwash the filter since Saturday either. And yes, I am adding DE to my sand filter per the directions in that other thread however there hasn't really been any rise in the filter pressure for almost 48 hours now. .

Great thread, keep it up. Once the FC stops dropping, expect the pool to be cloudy white for a few days while the filter has to take care of the algae skeletons.

Try calling your water company and tell them about filling your pool. Most will give you a big break on your water bill for the month that you did a fill- since the majority of the water bill is usually the sewer charge and that water didn't go down the drain.

Another filtering agent that I have used is called Sparkle Up. Like DE it helps the sand filter better.

But the Sparkle-up you need to get from the pool store for about $30 in 1.5lb container and the DE I purchased at Fleetfarm was $25 for a 24lb box. I've used Sparkle-Up, it works but I don't have a problem with the DE and the 20lb box is likely 5+ years worth as I only use a little more than a cup at a time. With sparkly up you use a lot more of it per treatment. Average sand filter, 4-6 cups per treatment.

The photo of the DE isn't the stuff at fleetfarm can't find a photo of it.

I can see a second step too :lovetfp:

Attachments

• Sparkle_Up BioGard.jpg
    Sparkle_Up BioGard.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Diatomaceous Earth splash 10lbs.jpg
    Diatomaceous Earth splash 10lbs.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.