10 foot pool... do I need to drain and start over?

Aug 2, 2017
Massachusetts
Hi All:
We live in Massachusetts and had set up a Bestway 10 ft x 30 inch pool (which has a cheap little filter included) a few weeks ago. Due to the weather and life in general my kids (11 and 8) have only been in it a handful of times. My husband purchased the HTH for pop-up pools but honestly I was a bit freaked out by it and we have not added anything to it. Both my daughter and I have thyroid issues and I know that pool chemicals can wreak havoc on thyroids! However, yesterday the kids said that the bottom of the pool feels slimy in spots which I am sure is not good for their health either. Just wondering what the least toxic way to go is and if I need to drain the ~900 gallons and start over? Also, I just read the Guide for Seasonal/Temp Pools. I need to purchase a 2way test kit but wondering giving the current slime situation if it makes sense to add some bleach while I head out to the store to get the kit or if I should just drain it (which quite honestly I would prefer not to do).

Welcome to the forum!

As you have read the Seasonal / Temp guide you know it says to drain and clean the pool if algae becomes present. That is the safest method and is recommended.

Follow the steps in the guide to the letter when you refill the pool. Do not use combo products or other pool store magic. CYA/stabilizer and chlorine (bleach) are the least problematic chemicals to use in your pool to keep it clean and sanitary.

If you have more questions -- post them up!

Thank you for joining us.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

You can add some bleach, but as it says in the guide the seasonal pools are great because when something goes wrong you can dump it and start over. If you do dump it, scrub it out with a diluted bleach solution before you refill.

You can try to recover by adding bleach and brushing the bottom.

Remember you need to add CYA to get to 30 - 40 (calculated using PoolMath) so pick some up while you are out. Lowes and Home Depot both sell it in the outside garden pool section. If you want to only stop once, WalMart has both bleach and CYA. Don't get the bleach from Lowes or Home Depot because it is generally stored in less than optimal conditions and may be degraded

I don't know much about sensitivities to pool chemicals but I'd have to say that I can't imagine a better way to maintain a pool then the TFP method if that is a concern.

Since you have a pop-up vinyl pool, you don't need to worry about Calcium, so scratch that off the list of chemicals you need to add. Other than that, after you fill up the pool each year you'll just need to probably increase the Alkalinity a little with Baking Soda (nice simple chemical). Then adjust free chlorine level with bleach (breaks down into nothing other than salt water) and adjust pH with Muriatic Acid (another very simple chemical).

You can also look at using CYA, it's generally recommended to prevent free chlorine loss to sunlight and I've never heard of it being a problem for anyone but maybe that is something you'll want to research more until you know what pool chemicals you're sensitive to. If you don't use CYA, you'll have to keep a much closer eye on the free chlorine level, i.e. checking more often and adding more overall bleach than you'd otherwise need to.

To clarify - you do NOT want to add bleach to a pool without CYA in the water.

That is what public pools have to do, and it is the harshest water to a human there is.

So always have at least 30 ppm of CYA in your pool water.

Take care.

Thank you all for your replies. I (as do my kids) truly appreciate your quick responses. My husband said we are not draining the pool so I have to figure out how to recover from here. I am headed to Lowes to pick up the supplies. Just want to make sure I am getting the correct things. I printed the list entitled "Kiddie Pool Chemical Shopping List" is this correct? Please excuse my ignorance but just wondering which item on the list is CYA?
[h=1][/h]

I have thyroid issues and never heard of pools being a problem
I googled it and saw this quote
"How to Reduce Iodine Displacement Caused by Chlorine If you have any type of thyroid dysfunction, I recommend limiting your time in chlorinated swimming pools, if possible. Saltwater pools can potentially be a safe alternative that still allow you to enjoy all the fun of summer swimming."

Im embarrassed if she really is an MD ....

In further googling there is NO Science based reference to pools and thyroid. I found one study that tried to investigate drinking or eating chlorinated things, but the study was inconclusive...
All the links were restating what other completely fabricated sites stated. No science or study or NIH link to be found ....

Here are the names of some of the sites
paleohacks.com
fullhealthsecrets.com
renegadehealth.com
wellnessmama.com
holisticsquid.com
huffingtonpost.com

Not places I go for medical advice Ironically TFP was the 3rd link in my search ;-)

Were did you get that list - here on the forum?

CYA is sometimes called conditioner, or stabilizer. Costs typically about $4 per pound and comes in 4 or 5 lb containers.
Some folks have had issue with Clorox brand. So look for another brand.

Take care.

Were did you get that list - here on the forum?

CYA is sometimes called conditioner, or stabilizer. Costs typically about $4 per pound and comes in 4 or 5 lb containers.
Some folks have had issue with Clorox brand. So look for another brand.

Take care.

The clorox stabilizer is fine and is 100% cyanuric acid. I use that. I believe you are referring to some of the clorox products that say the word "blue" on them and contain copper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The clorox stabilizer is fine and is 100% cyanuric acid. I use that. I believe you are referring to some of the clorox products that say the word "blue" on them and contain copper.

No - there is a current thread that people are reporting that the Clorox CYA is not raising their CYA as expected.

Again - reported. I have not used it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok just realized that the list I have is from http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/pool-chemicals-for-kiddie-pools.html not this page. Is there a shopping list somewhere that corresponds with what is use for the method used on this page?

CYA/stabilizer
Bleach - Liquid Chlorine (not at Lowes - Walmart bleach, non splashless, unscented, plain)
Other items depend on your water chemistry

If you will not be willing to drain this pool when a problem arises, you have to get a proper test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Take care.

Thanks mknauss! We already drained it once since it was not level. Our town currently has a water ban in effect so my husband is not really comfortable draining and filling it again. Honestly I am kind of getting to the point where draining and putting the thing away is seeming more appealing to me than not!

This is what is on the list I was looking at:
[FONT=&quot]Six items are necessary for to do a good job maintaining your kiddie pool chemistry:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]A test kit that measures chlorine and pH levels.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]such as:Taylor K-1000 OTO/phenol red test kit or HTH OTO Pool and Spa Test Kit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A pool brush or other plastic bristle brush you can use to brush the pool walls and floor.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A stabilized form of chlorine, 55% - 62% active: a white powder with the chemical name
    sodium dichloroisocyanurate
    or sodium dichloro-s-triazine trione. Buy it in a swimming pool labeled container holding 2 - 5 pounds.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]such as: PACE Granular or PoolTime Clarity Granular Chlorinating Concentrate [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A particular type of pool algaecide, with the chemical name,
    poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]
    sold in a 60% active strength. Buy one quart for $13 - $18.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]such as: HTH Algaecide 60% or PoolTime Non-Foaming 60% Algicide[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Borax, sodium tetraborate. Buy 1 box [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    found as 20 Mule Team brand green box from the detergent section of many grocery stores[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Household bleach, 6% sodium hypochlorite. Buy 1 gallon.[/FONT]

I have discovered that the website you got that from is based on Ben Howard whom is the "father" of the BBB system.

So use it.

I have not studied the process but if you follow it, I am sure it will work. It will still be required to drain the pool and start over if you do not keep up with the required additions of products to maintain the pool as clean and sanitary.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.