1 year old Pentair Cartridge filter .. deteriorating

I called the Pentair dude (actually the PB called) and as soon as I started talking, he said he would be over with new filters. He said that the filters in the last year or so, have been garbage. He replaced them the next day. I was surprised, no argument, no explanation, it was actually surreal!

Curt
I've read the whole thread and this definitely makes the best sense. I agree that the damage happening in one place is unique, but with either crappy materials and no QC, anything is possible. I doubt the cartridges are hitting the top lid, and the manifolds plastic feeds into the ID of the cartridges is SO TIGHT, I doubt there was any movement of the cartridges.

Glad all the posters w problems are getting new cartridges and kudo's to the TFP forum members for leading the posters w inferior products to obtaining replacements free of charge. Membership here has great value, at least the price of 1-2 cartridges :cool:

Had to laugh though when the Canadian posters said it's really getting warm and it's 74 degrees. Come on down to TX or AZ and we will show you warm.

It would be easy to prove or disprove by putting something on the top of the cartridge and then putting on the lid and removing it to see it the stuff transfers.

Just put a little bit of colored gel like toothpaste or whatever.
I absolutely agree on the test process, but no one has done that. I also think the Pentair Corp would have jumped on someone that installed too big of cartilages for the filter housing. If one of the posters w the problem could test; it’d be interesting to definitely know.

Reactions: JamesW
I would like to try and open the filter back up some time end of July, and see how they look...
On a side note.. my PB showed up to fix the 90 degree elbow on the pump outlet that pentair flagged as incorrect when I posted pictures for the cartridge damage.

Let me know what you think of their fix....

Attachments

• 20220622_210044.jpg
    20220622_210044.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 14
In my opinion, the 90 rule really does not make much difference, especially at suction velocities below 6 feet per second and discharge velocities below 8 feet per second.

If Pentair really cares about hydraulics, they should stop selling the Whisperflo model Intelliflo pump with its 60 year old design and only sell the Intelliflo XF.

The regular Intelliflo pump has a 2” intake and the pump can do 150 GPM, which is 14.6 feet per second, which is 2.4 times more than the commercial 6 feet per second and 1.8 times more than the residential 8 feet per second.

The XF has a 3” intake, which is 6.8 feet per second.

1656032750477.png

1656032540507.png

1656032263663.png

It was perfectly fine the way it was.

It looks ridiculous now.

I would ask Pentair to explain exactly why they had an issue with the way it was.

A real explanation and not just "Because the manual says so".

People use 90s all the time and there have never been any issues that I have ever heard of that were caused by using a 90.

Ask Pentair to give even a single example of a real problem being caused by anyone using a 90 at the pump.

Maybe they have some sort of test data to show their case?

If yes, can they provide the test results?

In my opinion, I would change it back the way it was.

You can use a sweep 90 if you want to avoid a hard 90.

1656089406133.png
1656089439879.png

You can use a CPVC nipple to help make the turn in the limited space.

Below are the fitting dimensions so that you can verify if a sweep will fit.

1656090426721.png

Last edited:
Hello,

We’ve noticed this same issue with our pentair filter cartridges when we opened it this week. Just put the pool in last fall. Can you tell me how pentair handled this? I’m afraid these need replaced after reading online and we just paid final payment to PB so feel like everything should be new and not damaged already.

Attachments

• E67A08C0-776B-4FAC-8E18-3A8563607088.jpeg
    E67A08C0-776B-4FAC-8E18-3A8563607088.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 60335689-786F-4068-9DBC-A5505BE4D23C.jpeg
    60335689-786F-4068-9DBC-A5505BE4D23C.jpeg
    553.2 KB · Views: 7
  • F6E592E3-9DED-42D1-9282-9209A624B187.jpeg
    F6E592E3-9DED-42D1-9282-9209A624B187.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 7
The specific damage points to something rubbing just on the edges.

Maybe the edges of the cartridges are hitting on the lid?

Put some blue chalk or other indicator on the cartridges and then put the lid on and then remove the lid to see if the chalk transferred to the inside of the lid, which would prove contact.

The damage is localized to just a small area, which indicates that something is affecting just those spots.

I would check to see if the cartridges are hitting the inside of the lid.

Before you install the lid, put something on the cartridges that will transfer to the lid if there is contact.

You can use just about any type of gel or whatever.

Maybe strawberry jelly or toothpaste or anything.

Put the lid on and then take it back off and see if the gel transferred to the inside of the lid.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.