Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi,

This year I noticed one off my jets shooting out bubbles. Is this air? It never stops even after running the pump for over a week. It has not done this before and I wonder what the issue may be. I have included a video below to show what I mean. I tried tightening the jet ball to ensue it’s tight, there is no change when doing that.

Does that mean I have a leak somewhere?

Thanks!

That it a lot of air. I wonder if by chance that return is the first one in the series of jets from the pump? Whenever I get air in my system , it's always the first 1 or 2 jets that show bubbles. You should investigate everything on the suction side of the pump from the poolside skimmer to the pump itself for any possible air leaks "IN" to the system. Check the pump basket O-ring for defects and lube, drain plug O-rings, 3-way valves, and any other joints leading up to the pump.

Hi Texas, thanks a lot for the response. I believe it is the first one. For example, when my pump begins to prime, that is the jet it first comes out of, and than the deepend jet starts. I only have 2 jets. One is from the shallow end (the video) and one is in the deepend.

Could you provide a more elaborate explanation of the steps I should take? Not exactly following what you said earlier. Sorry for the confusion.

Whenever we see a good amount of air bubbles from a return, it's a fairly good assumption air is getting pulled-into the system. A suction side air leak is like a break in a straw when you try to drink. You lose suction pressure because air is getting in there. In a pool, air gets pulled-in and the air shoots out of the returns. Here is our TFP Suction Side Air Leaks - Trouble Free Pool page. It helps to explain things a bit more. But basically, this page, my notes above, and anything above ground between the poolside skimmer and pump are suspect. Inspect carefully. Also make sure the skimmer weir door is operating properly and that the pool water level is at least halfway up the skimmer.

Hi,

Thank you so much for the continued response. It makes sense now. Could you advise what an acceptable amount of airbubbles is? I tightened the lid and it seemed to have a lot less, but there is still some visible. See video below.

Could you advise what an acceptable amount of airbubbles is?
Except for pool owners with a salt water generator, we shouldn't see hardly any bubbles at all from the return jets. When you add lube to O-rings, make sure it's pool lube - usually silicone or Teflon based. Never use petroleum jelly.

Ok I will try using pool lube for orings and see if that fixes the issue. Why not petroleum jelly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, is there a way to test where leak is coming from. Examining the locks seems normal to me. Maybe I should relube everything and see if it fixes it?

I found magic lube 1 in local shop 1 left with 1 oz. lubed the oring under the pump lid. I recorded a video of my setup perhaps would help others help me troubleshoot further. Not sure what else to check.

Also lubed the suction side of the pipe on the left side of the pump from video. Still experiencing same issue.

The lid does not look like it is on all the way. Give the ears of the lid a tap with a mallet.

Hmm, I never had an issue with the lid. Tapping it each time with mallet is really necessary?

For mine it is. I think the age of the oring tends to mean some more force is needed to seal. Even with lots of lube.

It’s a brand new pump. Only 1 year old and oring is mint condition. Also, tried that didn’t fix the issue. It appears though the bubbles in the pump is situated mostly near the bottom and not so much on top of that helps troubleshoot the issue.

So air being pulled in before the pump. Check the connections on that flex pipe. Take some plastic wrap and wrap around the connections.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.