1/2 gallon of shock per day

Rboss

Mar 30, 2021
Elk River MN
Just curious if a 1/2 gallon of shock per day is in line with others. This amount keeps me at 4 - 6 ppm. Water is crystal clear and about the best I’ve had it in years thanks to following this page. I also have somewhat of a PH issue, about every 4 days it is climbing to 8.0 range. CYA is at 50.

Thanks

Using PoolMath, it shows me that 65 ounces (one half gallon of 10% LC) adds just 2ppm to your pool. You have a large pool. So I would say that you might require 3 quarts to a gallon per day.

Have you discovered PoolMath yet? The old version found online makes it easy to see how changes in test results alter the big picture.

Do you run any water features that tend to boost up the pH?

Maddie :flower:

I have been trying to run between 5 - 10 ppm but the pool is so amazingly clear the half gallon and 4 - 7 seems to be doing the job. I do not have a water feature, I do have one return jet that is pointed up and makes a lot of surface current. I should point it down some and see if that helps.

My pool is similar in size and that is exactly what I was averaging in the summer when dosing with 12% liquid. Sometimes an additional 16 oz was required due to unusual higher demand. Just for fun test your salt ppm some time after several years.

Reactions: Rboss
hey RB !!!
I have been trying to run between 5 - 10 ppm but the pool is so amazingly clear the half gallon and 4 - 7 seems to be doing the job
Until it doesn’t. In the peak season a 4PPM daily drop is common. Depending on when that happens and when you add next, your lows are way to low, leaving you with 0 or 1 at times. It doesn’t even matter if it’s not often. You cannot let it drop that low. Period. Ever. :)

Pick a # that gives you enough leftover to spare *after* the daily loss. A 9 for example. If you lose 4 PPM that day you’ll be sitting pretty @ 5 when you add next.

Reactions: Rboss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.