fanis.merk

Aug 3, 2023
Turkey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have 300 TA, 7.4 pH fillwater. Beginning of season I bring down the TA to 50 otherwise it is a huge battle with pH. I understand that aeration increases the pH as CO2 is released from the water. If I didn’t have any fresh water coming into the pool due the splashes and evaporation etc at some point CO2 should be depleted or at least chemical balance should be established so that net CO2 release should be zero. Am I right on this one? Secondly why do I have CO2 in my fillwater? We use underground water. Is it common for water to be so rich in CO2?

Bicarbonate converts to CO2 based on the pH.

So, as CO2 is lost to the air, more bicarbonate converts to CO2 to maintain the same percentage (On a molar basis).

For example, at a pH of 7.35, 90.91% is bicarbonate and 9.09% is carbon dioxide.

At a pH of 8.0, the percentage that is carbon dioxide drops to 2.19%

100-(100/(1+10^(6.35 – 8))) = 2.19%

As the bicarbonate converts to carbon dioxide, the pH rises because the bicarbonate picks up hydrogen ions.

HCO3- + H+ --> H2CO3 --> H2O + CO2

The Y axis is the percentage of baking soda that converts into carbon dioxide.

The X axis is the pH.

1687813665765-png.508045

Bicarbonate converts to CO2 based on the pH.

So, as CO2 is lost to the air, more bicarbonate converts to CO2 to maintain the same percentage (On a molar basis).

For example, at a pH of 7.35, 90.91% is bicarbonate and 9.09% is carbon dioxide.

At a pH of 8.0, the percentage that is carbon dioxide drops to 2.19%

100-(100/(1+10^(6.35 – 8))) = 2.19%

As the bicarbonate converts to carbon dioxide, the pH rises because the bicarbonate picks up hydrogen ions.

HCO3- + H+ --> H2CO3 --> H2O + CO2

The Y axis is the percentage of baking soda that converts into carbon dioxide.

The X axis is the pH.

1687813665765-png.508045

Yes but bicarbonate should deplete as well. No? Where is it coming from?

If you are adding acid, then the TA should be going down.

If you have a lot of fill water due to replacing water lost to evaporation, then the fill water adds bicarbonate.
But do you normally expect a lot of bicarbonate in fillwater? My CH is 650. Is it related to bicarbonates? If I don’t top up how fast should it deplete so that CO2 emission would stop.

But do you normally expect a lot of bicarbonate in fillwater?
Every source of fill water has a different TA, so there is no "expectation" other than maybe what the Water Quality Report from your water source supplier indicates.

TA might range from about 50 ppm to about 400 ppm or more.
My CH is 650. Is it related to bicarbonates?
No, CH is related specifically to calcium ions.
If I don’t top up how fast should it deplete so that CO2 emission would stop.
The TA and pH determine the amount of CO2, so the lower you can get the TA, the lower the CO2 will be.

So, it depends on how much acid you can add and that depends on the pH and the TA.

All you can do is try to keep the pH as close as possible to 7.2 and maybe aerate to help drive off carbon dioxide.

Every source of fill water has a different TA, so there is no "expectation" other than maybe what the Water Quality Report from your water source supplier indicates.

TA might range from about 50 ppm to about 400 ppm or more.

The TA and pH determine the amount of CO2, so the lower you can get the TA, the lower the CO2 will be.

So, it depends on how much acid you can add and that depends on the pH and the TA.

All you can do is try to keep the pH as close as possible to 7.2 and maybe aerate to help drive off carbon dioxide.
I understand this relationship. I am trying to understand the origins of CO2. Is it because I am using underground water I have so many bicarbonates? Are bicarbonates counting towards my TA? Can I filter bicarbonates from my source water with reverse osmosis device for example?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get an automatic acid dispenser if you want to make the acid additions easier.
I have an automatic acid dispenser. I am dumping 150kg acid in a summer season. It is around $120 per season. I am checking alternative solutions. If I can get rid of these bicarbonates from the source then it is a solution.

Reactions: JamesW
What type of acid?
Sulphuric Acid. Yes I know HCl is better but in Europe this is the practice due to various reasons. We have discussed the topic here

Is that about 125 liters (33 gallons) of 28% H2SO4?

That is a lot of sulfate to add to the pool (about 500 ppm).

HCl or Reverse Osmosis would be a better choice.
It seems the bottles I am buying are 20 liters each and weigh 25kg (do we use the volume or mass for calculations?) Concentrations are usually not specified on the bottles but I am assuming around 30% based on some bottles I saw here and there by chance. My pool is 80000 liters. I spend around 6 bottles in a season. How do I calculate sulphate ppm? Some of it going out with backwash for sure but would be good to know how to calculate the worst case scenario.

My CH is 650. Is it related to bicarbonates?

Isn't it fair to say that a common way for calcium ions to get into the water supply is via calcium carbonate (CaCO3) entering the water and dissolving as Ca2+ and CO32- ions?

The calcium ions will register as CH and the carbonate ions (which will at pool pH actually mostly convert into bicarbonate ions) as TA.

Even though the CH value is independent from bicarbonate, the source for both being in the fill water can be common, as far as I understand. If the water had been flowing through limestone, then it will likely end up being high in both, CH and TA.

Reactions: fanis.merk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.