What size cartridge filter should i upgrade to?

With a pool volume of 100k to 140k gallons, you will probably need the same number of cartridge filters as you have sand filters - or you will have to look into a commercial sized filter system. The largest cartridge filters for residential pools are in the 500 sq. ft. range.

Tell us a bit more about this pool and its equipment.

With a pool volume of 100k to 140k gallons, you will probably need the same number of cartridge filters as you have sand filters - or you will have to look into a commercial sized filter system. The largest cartridge filters for residential pools are in the 500 sq. ft. range.

Tell us a bit more about this pool and its equipment.
The pool is not used very much in the summer time. Theres only 2 people at home. I swim in it a few times in the summer. It gets used a few times a year with maybe 4-8 people. It uses 3: 1.0hp pumps that are single speed. It runs 3 sand filters. The plumbing is 2inch pipe.

With a pool that is 3-10 times more volume than the average residential pool, you will probably need to keep the same amount of filters or get a large commercial sized filter.

Cartridge filters need to be disassembled to clean the cartridges, you can't backwash a cartridge filter. Something to consider as you would have 3 filters to disassemble instead of just backwashing them.

Besides being old, are there any issues with the present sand filters?

Whether you use the pool or not, you will still need to maintain chlorine levels to keep the pool water sanitized. With that sized pool, you certainly don't want an algae outbreak.
While filters don't aid in sanitizing, they will capture dirt and other debris.

With a pool that is 3-10 times more volume than the average residential pool, you will probably need to keep the same amount of filters or get a large commercial sized filter.

Cartridge filters need to be disassembled to clean the cartridges, you can't backwash a cartridge filter. Something to consider as you would have 3 filters to disassemble instead of just backwashing them.

Besides being old, are there any issues with the present sand filters?

Whether you use the pool or not, you will still need to maintain chlorine levels to keep the pool water sanitized. With that sized pool, you certainly don't want an algae outbreak.
While filters don't aid in sanitizing, they will capture dirt and other debris.
Should i go with 3 500sqft filters or can i go with 3 200sqft filters?

Bigger is always better when it comes to filters. The bigger the cartridge filter, the less often it will need to be disassembled and cleaned.

You may also wish to look into replacing the 3 pumps with variable speed pumps to save on electricity. You can run a VS pump at a lower rpm for a longer period of time for less electricity while still moving the same amount of water per day.

What is your present pump runtime schedule?

Bigger is always better when it comes to filters. The bigger the cartridge filter, the less often it will need to be disassembled and cleaned.

You may also wish to look into replacing the 3 pumps with variable speed pumps to save on electricity. You can run a VS pump at a lower rpm for a longer period of time for less electricity while still moving the same amount of water per day.

What is your present pump runtime schedule?
6 hours. Yeah i want to upgrade to cartridge filters because the sand filters are old and throwing sand back into the pool.

All 3 pumps run for 6 hours per day?

Be aware, cleaning a cartridge filter is a minimum 1-2 hour time commitment each time - times 3 for your setup.
Backwashing a sand filter is a maximum 10-15 minute time commitment each time - times 3 for your setup.
3-6 hours (180-360 minutes) versus 30-60 minutes each time a cleaning is needed. Cleaning frequency will not change much.

Not trying to talk you out of cartridge filters, but be aware of the time it takes to properly clean them. I replaced a leaking 20+ year old (36"/700#) sand filter with a 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter two years ago. I don't notice any difference in the water quality or look of the water.

Switch to one large cartridge filter and one vs pump. Run it 24 hours per day at a low rpm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.