Switching From Sand To Cartridge

Sea Speed

Jul 1, 2023
SETX
I recently purchased a new to me house and want to upgrade from sand to cartridge filter. I already purchased a new to me cartridge filter and just need to get around to replumbing my system, but I wanted to get some input from yall. I have included a picture of my current setup, and the red ball valve on the right hand side is currently the waste line for backflushing. From reading, I want to keep a waste line but I need to put it between the pump and filter now, correct? Other than that it is pretty straightforward just replumb inlet to inlet and outlet to outlet and get rid of the MPV, yea? What else do I need to know for this project before I tear in to it? This sand filter is driving me crazy. Thank you in advance for the tips and guidance.

Attachments

• IMG-20240318-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240318-WA0004.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20240318-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240318-WA0003.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 29
From reading, I want to keep a waste line but I need to put it between the pump and filter now, correct?
Yes. Use a 3 way diverter and it'll come in handy for light drains or vac to waste if there is ever heavy debris such as at opening. (Or whatevs you Texans call it when you start paying attention again to the still open pool :ROFLMAO:)
Other than that it is pretty straightforward just replumb inlet to inlet and outlet to outlet
They are often reversed when going to carts so make sure you know which is which.
get rid of the MPV
Buh-Bye. :wave:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yes. Use a 3 way diverter and it'll come in handy for light drains or vac to waste if there is ever heavy debris such as at opening. (Or whatevs you Texans call it when you start paying attention again to the still open pool :ROFLMAO:)

They are often reversed when going to carts so make sure you know which is which.

Buh-Bye. :wave:

Good luck and keep us posted.
Am I correct in looking at this that I really don't need to do anything to the inlet side of the pump and only really need minimal plumbing work from the pump outlet to the pool/drain?

Correct.

While you're out there cutting and gluing, ditch the tab feeder. Use a floater if the need ever arises.

Correct.

While you're out there cutting and gluing, ditch the tab feeder. Use a floater if the need ever arises.
I have an auto pump for liquid chlorine and I was going to convert to using that but now I am not so sure I want to use it, but this would be the time.

The auto pump notwithstanding, how would my pool become chlorinated if I only periodically used the floater?

I have an auto pump for liquid chlorine and I was going to convert to using that but now I am not so sure I want to use it, but this would be the time.
You want to use liquid chlorone, manual or auto, as your primary source of FC. (Or one day a SWG) (y)
The auto pump notwithstanding, how would my pool become chlorinated if I only periodically used the floater?
Is that a puck feeder ? If so they leach acid when the system is off which is why we recommend using the floater instead. They usually have a check valve to prevent this but it only slows it down, until the CV is eaten.

We are against regular tab use as each tab raises the CYA 2+ for most pools, needing higher FC targets weekly. It gets out of hand quickly. But when your CYA needs a little boost, or you're going on vacation and don't mind a +10, then they're fine.

View attachment 559257
What’s the 3/4 inch line plumbed into the returns? Wall sprinklers? Some other feature?
I'm pretty sure you just solved a random mystery we have had since we bought the home. I never noticed that before and there is this random fitting sticking up out of the decking that seems completely nonsensical that is the same size that my kids stub their toes on all the time. I bet if I took the cap off of that I could attach some sort of sprinkler fitting to it. The pool is really old so not fancy, so I am guessing that is what it is. Do they make sprinkler attachments for 3/4 pvc?

I'm laughing that I never noticed that or really tried to figure it out.

I'm pretty sure you just solved a random mystery we have had since we bought the home. I never noticed that before and there is this random fitting sticking up out of the decking that seems completely nonsensical that is the same size that my kids stub their toes on all the time. I bet if I took the cap off of that I could attach some sort of sprinkler fitting to it. The pool is really old so not fancy, so I am guessing that is what it is. Do they make sprinkler attachments for 3/4 pvc?

Can you show a picture of the pipe in question?

Was likely a supply line for a removed or future slide. Very common for pools of that era.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That makes a lot of sense but I think the slide for that pool was much further from where this was because there are some holes in the decking that I attributed to that already, but that does make sense. The fitting on the deck is near the corner of the shallow end and the pool is a large rectangle. Cant post a picture because I am offshore right now but can in a few days. I assume i can just delete that, yea?

Just double checked and I have a stenner econ pump but Dang if they aren't proud of the poly tanks. I feel like I can rig something up for 5 bucks instead of spending nearly $300 on a tank. Worth it to just bite the bullet on a stenner poly tank?

Obviously $5 was tongue in cheek, but this would seem to be perfect for a liquid chlorine setup and nearly a third the price of a stenner tank. Will the little stenner pumps have any issues picking up product from the bottom of this tank?

Obviously $5 was tongue in cheek, but this would seem to be perfect for a liquid chlorine setup and nearly a third the price of a stenner tank. Will the little stenner pumps have any issues picking up product from the bottom of this tank?

I've seen plastic trash cans used as chlorine tanks. Tubing to supply the chlorine to the pump usually sits in the bottom, held there by a ceramic weight.

Reactions: Lake Placid
As long as you can figure out mounting, electrical, check valves, etc the Econ pump can pull out of anything within reason to a degree. You’re paying for the engineering of the all in one design and the marketing. There are also non electric versions available - Hasa liquidator for instance. Use the black UV resistant tubing in whatever scenario you decide on.

As long as you can figure out mounting, electrical, check valves, etc the Econ pump can pull out of anything within reason to a degree. You’re paying for the engineering of the all in one design and the marketing. There are also non electric versions available - Hasa liquidator for instance. Use the black UV resistant tubing in whatever scenario you decide on.
I already have the pump so I will just figure out something for the container that saves some money. I assume I can simply inject it anywhere downstream of the filter, correct?

I already have the pump so I will just figure out something for the container that saves some money. I assume I can simply inject it anywhere downstream of the filter, correct?
Yes. I would recommend a Stenner ball check valve instead of the duckbill valve. The duckbills get weak and collapse over time. If you decide to use a duckbill replace it every year as a standard maintenance/wear item. I would also recommend installing a Stenner flow indicator in the line. It provides a simple visual indicator if you’re pumping fluid or if you have an obstruction, check valve failure etc that needs attention. The bouncing ball never lies! 😁

Curious what makes you think cartridge is an upgrade?
My filter is not acting right and I called several places asking about replacement parts side they couldn't get them and seeing as it is older than dirt and not acting right inwanted to replace it and so I am going with a cartridge filter. Basically everyone I've talked to and what I've read indicates cartridge is an upgrade over sand.

Basically everyone I've talked to and what I've read indicates cartridge is an upgrade over sand.
I'm a cart guy, biased as snot, but fair is still fair. It's the Chevy / Ford/ Mopar debate when all we need is to get to the grocery store. All 3 will get you there fine, and our bickering about the rest of it is purely personal preference.

All 3 filters pick up your yard debris as a constant, no matter which way you go. That crud gets trapped and filters even finer crud, so IMO, your yard decides how fine you can filter. The only question is how quickly it's 'slightly dirty' and filtering to the yards parameters when the filter is cleaned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support