What is this?

Jul 13, 2012
Just a little background. I made the dumb mistake of leaving 3" chlorine tabs on the bottom of the pool floor. The area around where the tabs were placed on the plaster surface got very rough. It is too cold to get into the pool and go under water looking but now I don't know what this is... The pool was green but is now otherwise stable.

Attachments

• IMG-5415.jpg
    IMG-5415.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-5416.jpg
    IMG-5416.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-5417.jpg
    IMG-5417.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 41
Hummm. Pucks are very acidic and shouldn't stay in one place like that. Although I do know that chlorine tabs can make copper staining worse. Do you happen to have a full set of water test results? can you tell us if any algaecides or pool store products have been used lately? Oh, and there is JamesW. :)

Im more concerned about the black spots than the (probably) yellow copper staining.

Do you think it is black mold or just the gunite and how would I be able to determine?

The gunite would be black, right?

If it is gunite showing, can I repair with some of that under water expoxy?

1. dirt
2. gunite
3. black algae

1 - I doubt it. Too dark and should brush away.
2 - Possibly, depending on the age/condition of the plaster if the puck did any damage. Like James said, hard to tell from a photo though.
3 - BA can have that appearance, but it's odd (IMO) to be in such a circular pattern.
4 - Don't rule-out copper just yet. The acidity of trchlor/dichlor reacts with copper to make it turn black. That's why we asked those questions above.
5 - Try to show us some test results and chemical history to help give us a more complete picture of the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the delay.

I left the tabs on the plaster over a year ago. The black stuff turned out to be dirt. I know because I got in the pool and it wasn't slimy and shooting it with a pressure washer quickly removed it. Unfortunately, the plaster in the area where the tabs were left is now rough. I have tried putting absorbic acid on the yellow stains, but nothing happens. I am considering to just sand it down?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.