Indoor, in ground pool high combined chlorine

I talked to the pool company to get a quote on installing an Intellichlor IC-60. He cautioned against a SWG for my indoor pool and said it could cause build-up on the automatic pool cover equipment and other equipment.

He suggested a liquid chlorine injector. But this doesn’t solve the issue of having to buy, haul, and store liquid chlorine.

Are the salt levels used in a SWG a concern for indoor equipment? The pool company guy said I would cut the lifespan of all my components in half if I install a SWG indoors. Do I also need to be concerned about the HVAC system/dehumidifier for my indoor pool?

Thoughts?

The pool company guy said I would cut the lifespan of all my components in half if I install a SWG indoors.
Please. Pretty pretty please. Have him test the salt content of all the liquid chlorine pools they oversee. They'll find that most are halfway there and some might even be over.

Everything you add to the pool is either a salt, or breaks down into salt. Nobody using liquid chlorine tests their salinity because it's harmless at pool levels. But call it a 'salt pool' and all of a sudden they lose their minds.

Overflow from rain and the subsequent refilling dilutes the salinity by a proportionate amount, which you don't experience, so every gallon of 10% you add will raise your salt by 9.7ppm and it won't take long (300 gallons of bleach) to have a 'salt pool'. But don't worry, it'll only be 10% of the ocean when it gets there.

How long was it since you refilled the pool prior to this adventure ? If you can guess how many gallons you use a year, we can spitball what the salinity was. It'd be funny to realize you were at 5k (?) while this guy is worried about going to 3500.

1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine adds 5.9ppm of FC and raises salt by 10ppm.

If your indoor pool consumes 2 ppm/day then in 3 years your pool will have around 3000 ppm of salt if you don't drain it in between.
Are the salt levels used in a SWG a concern for indoor equipment? The pool company guy said I would cut the lifespan of all my components in half if I install a SWG indoors.

All your equipment? Your pool company guy just lost all credibility. Pump, filter, heater, nope.

Do I also need to be concerned about the HVAC system/dehumidifier for my indoor pool?

Nope. Does it come in direct contact with any pool water?

Reactions: Mdragger88
1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine adds 5.9ppm of FC and raises salt by 10ppm.

If your indoor pool consumes 2 ppm/day then in 3 years your pool will have around 3000 ppm of salt if you don't drain it in between.

All your equipment? Your pool company guy just lost all credibility. Pump, filter, heater, nope.

Nope. Does it come in direct contact with any pool water?
Well I guess he didn’t say all the pool equipment, he just said the pool cover, cover track, and the hvac stuff. But I really don’t think this should be a huge problem. There was already tons of deposits of I believe calcium buildup on the track of the pool cover and along the water edge from when the old owner was doing the pool maintenance. When I ran the pool robot vacuum a bunch of blue deposits would come up with it and run out of it and dry on the concrete. It seems to be the blue shock product he had been using.

I’m trying to get this pool dialed in as much as possible. If I source the Intellichlor myself from Amazon and register the product right after I install it, will I get the 2 year warranty instead of the 60 day warranty? There seems to be conflicting reports of this on the internet.

Thanks for all the guidance.

Reactions: Newdude
blue shock product
it's likely laced with copper from the wording and the blue deposits back that up. :(
If I source the Intellichlor myself from Amazon and register the product right after I install it, will I get the 2 year warranty instead of the 60 day warranty?
DIY is 60 day. Their definition of 'professionally installed' is fairly loose and pretty much only needs to be someone capable of handing you a bill. Any licensed plumber or electrician qualify, or actual pool professionals of course.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.