Two sets of jets inoperative

argiopeweb

Feb 20, 2023
North Florida
Greetings, all,
I've recently purchased a property with a hot tub. I have no prior hot tub experience, so I'm firmly in the "don't know what I don't know" zone. I know it has a Balboa 3-button panel and a single 1.5HP pump. I have no other brand or model information (your guess appreciated). Image follows.

PXL_20230220_214319236.jpg

There are 4 sets of jets (plus feet and the large jet near the filter [does that have a proper name?]) The two on the right of the image (farthest from the control panel on the left) have 5 jets. The remaining two (nearer the control panel) have three. The air control valves near 5 and 12 o'clock in the image control the air to the 5-jet seats/foot jets and the large jet, respectively. Excepting the two sets of three jets, all work fine. The valve near 8 o'clock appears to do nothing.

My problem is the two sets of jets (the two three-jet seats near the control panel) that just don't do anything. Since the image was taken, I've removed the remaining jet bodies, refilled, and confirmed that the jets aren't off/disabled/etc. I was able to backflow the jets near the bottom of the image with a hose and observe water coming from the three jets at the top of the image; however, they don't appear to flow with the pump on high or low.

Can anyone help with an ID on the tub, troubleshooting for the dead jets, or the name of the big jet near the filter?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The big jet near the filter looks like a turbo jet - when turned on it kinda creates a whirlpool.
On mine it must be removed from the inside & you cannot buy peices of it only the whole thing.
This tub looks similar to one of these, perhaps an older model?
Do you see a label anywhere inside the cabinet ?
Something like this?
7C98EA1B-6D33-4113-A611-1C5D1FEEADC7.jpeg
Or on the heater/pump?
EB0B105B-2E01-4A36-966E-8E74F603AC0F.jpeg
Most of the rotomolded ones like you find at big box stores are made by watkins wellness/aquaterra so you may try contacting them with the info you have & they can help you narrow down what parts you need based on what models they were used in.
I was stumped about removing my large turbo jet the other day & decided to call, the lady was extremely helpful & gave me part numbers for just about every part on my tub & where to order them.

Agreed, it does seem like a turbo jet (Aquaterra refers to it as a whirlpool jet, thanks for that pointer); however, I've been unable to turn it off, so I may resort to tools. I did attempt to block it off and saw no additional flow through the those 3-valve seats.

I've had quite a bit (but not all) of the skirting off and haven't been able to find a manufacturer tag. There's enough closed-cell foam inside to make me wonder if it was covered. I'll pull the access cover back off and look at the pump. I had noted it previously, but it seemed fairly generic.

I agree there's a strong resemblance to the Newporter, perhaps with a 240V control unit swap. Aquaterra only has manuals back to 2012, and it appears older than that year's model. Were they a different company before 2012?

Thanks for the tips!

On My turbo jet the ring turns clockwise to open & counter clockwise to close it. When it is closed there is still a small amount of flow that occurs, when it is open there is minimal flow from the other small jets since I can only assume it is all diverted to the turbo jet.

My filter opening looks similar to yours and uses a floating weir. Although it looks different than the one on the tub I linked
Here’s some pics,
E458E553-4D74-4D4C-B076-21EB64A89D93.jpeg9A103694-DC07-4517-BC66-0BF301B7F95A.jpeg468E849B-D594-4DE9-8DCA-092B45B04A39.jpegD92470E8-83C1-44A7-82C3-6B24310462E6.jpeg94BEF9A1-AE46-4032-9A11-2F1CD3B8B689.jpeg

It took the 20" groove joint pliers to make it happen (and will again), but I did get the whirlpool jet shut. The two inoperative seats ejected their air and are now operative. I may try removing that jet next time I drain the tub to see if I can free it up a bit. It's quite stiff, even with the big honking pliers.

I think this resolves this thread. Thanks!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Not sure if those can be greased but when you pull it out you can try put a little magic lube/pool lube on it.
The woman at watkins told me that there are tabs on the jet body inside the cabinet that you press to remove the turbo jet. When I do my next purge & drain I am going to attempt to remove mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update :

Very similar to a client we replaced a pump for. Balboa guts.

Same problem - we had to pry the diverter open and reseat it. It was hilarious because a bunch of nozzles shot across the spa and scared the bejeebies out of us. Owner had unscrewed them trying to get them to work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230315-201208.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315-201208.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230315-201215.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315-201215.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.