Apr 18, 2023
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, new to pools and everything that goes with owning one. I'm usually a pretty diligent researcher on home improvements, but...let's just say I missed a few homework assignments on this one.

Yesterday I had a 15X24' oval pool installed semi-inground. The installer told me to start filling it about 1 foot per day so now it's a little less than half full. They are coming back on Saturday to backfill the excavation and hook up the filter and pump. It will be a salt water system.

My question is, how urgently do I need to get it pumping and add chemicals? Can this wait until the weekend? I don't want to miss some chemical launch window and have to empty the pool.

I learned a lot by reading this thread--> Filling a Salt Water Pool from someone in a similar situation but what I want to understand here is the timing of the initial steps.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. Just looking through the forums this seems like an awesome community and I look forward to learning a lot from you all.

Reactions: Newdude
My question is, how urgently do I need to get it pumping and add chemicals? Can this wait until the weekend?
You should be okay to wait. I suspect the water is still chilly in your area sitting overnight. But you can plan on the following once full:
DAY 1:
1 - New water has no CYA, so you'll need to add stabilizer (CYA). Salt pools we generally recommend a summer CYA of about 70. In your area right now, perhaps starts at 50. You can always add more later.
2 - Add the required salt. Use our PoolMath APP to help you with dosage amounts.
3 - Add about 2-3 ppm of liquid chlorine once the water is moving to help it circulate.
4 - Adjust pH as needed anywhere between 7.2-7.8.

DAY 2:
1 - Once the salt has mixed for 24 hrs, turn on the SWG. Start at about 50% output for now and adjust as needed.
2 - Augment FC with liquid until the SWG is providing the proper amount of chlorine.
3 - Test TA so you know if any adjustments are required. Ask if you have questions since TA has a very wide latitude of acceptable ranges.
4 - CH should be N/A unless yours get really high (scale).

Most important .... jump in. :swim: Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After about 30 minutes of soaking, squeeze the sock continuously to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thanks so much Texas Splash! This is exactly what I wanted to know.

And you are right: temps still in the 40s at night here.

Are there any advantages to using solid vs liquid stabilizer?

Last edited:
Good morning all, this is becoming an expensive lesson. Pool is full just below the skimmer but I can’t install the pump and filter because they have not yet backfilled the hole. I was getting ready to add chemicals and I realized what I have is an ionizer—not the same as an SWG? The electric is still not bonded and grounded so hopefully that and the backfill will get done this weekend. I’m planning to:

Get it grounded and backfill the hole (maybe not in that order)

Hook up the pump and run for 24h

Then following your steps above:
Add CYA up to 50

Add liquid chlorine (not sure how much, I guess it will depend on initial water test)

Then add salt up to 3-5ppm

Then tweak alkalinity

Am I thinking about this right? Will the ionizer still help in generating the saltwater, or do I need some different equipment?

🙏 thank you

Add liquid chlorine (not sure how much, I guess it will depend on initial water test)
After you have a sock soaking to add stabilizer, then yes, add enough liquid chlorine to increase the FC by 2-3 ppm on day one. Use the PoolMath APP to help you wiht dosage amounts. On day two, test the FC and add liquid chlorine as needed until the SWG is self-sufficient and producing the FC you need,

Also one day one, also add the required amount of salt, usually somewhere in the neighborhood of about 3,200 ppm. Check your owners manual to be sure. The salt must mix in the water for 24 hrs before you activate the SWG.

Also test and adjust the pH to anywhere between 7.2- 7.8. More than likely it will like to hoover around 7.6-7.8. When the pH gets to 8.0 or higher, lower it with muriatic acid.

I realized what I have is an ionizer—not the same as an SWG?
Show a picture of it and any mfg. name. An ionizer is a mineral sanitizer which uses copper and silver ions to eliminate bacteria and algae in the water. We do not recommend the use of these types of sanitizers. Jandy makes a mineral sanitizer called a Fusion 2 but it can be coupled with a SWCG and the mineral part can be removed - so we need to know what you have.
Also we do not recommend UV or Ozone systems
Please read Ozone Systems - Further Reading

Do you have the PoolMath app? That can help you determine how much of any chemical to add.

Then add salt up to 3-5ppm
I assume you mean 3000-3500ppm. Some SWCG measure in grains which is 3.0 to 3.5.

Reactions: Newdude
For the stabilizer, remember to first let the sock soak in the water for about 30 minutes, then go out there squeeze it until all the mushy stabilizer is released. Should only take about 10 minutes or so. Don't allow the sock-filled stabilizer to rest against the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the advice. Yes I have the poolmath app and have been using it...a little frustrating because I have no data to work with yet! But it will clearly be a lifesaver once I have chemical circulating.

This is the ionizer I have, it was sold as part of a package with black&Decker pump and Black Diamond cartridge filter:

And I will absolutely heed the warning and use a sock to disperse the CYA. Thanks!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Hey synapsid and Welcome !!!

Pull the power from the ionizer and remove it at your earliest convenience so it doesn't rust in place.

I love how they all get around calling them metals. This manufacturer calls it 'positively charged mineral ions'. All metals are positive, and if you go ask any 'pool professional' if you should add metals to your pool, the majority will say no. (The rest want to sell you copper removers down the road).

Reactions: synapsid
Will the ionizer still help in generating the saltwater, or do I need some different equipment?

That Ionizer is some of the most misleading marketing bordering on scam. They call it a salt system leading you to believe it is an SWG when it is a mineral system adding copper to your water.

DO NOT USE!

IMG_0978.jpeg

This is the ionizer I have, it was sold as part of a package with black&Decker pump and Black Diamond cartridge filter:
So now you have to make a critical decision as it will affect if you add salt and to what level you wish to have your CYA.

We don't recommend the ionizer that is shown. So option 1 is to ignore that recommendation and use it. So hopefully you select Option 2 or Option 3.
Option 2 is to remove the ionizer and only use liquid chlorine (LC). If so, do not add salt and only increase CYA up to 50ppm
Option 3 is to purchase and install a proper SWCG. If so, then you would add salt and you would increase CYA up to 60 or 70ppm

Let us know how you will proceed.

Thank you! And thank goodness for this forum. I am learning so much, I guess it's never too late. If I go with option 2, would that make it a typical “chlorine” pool essentially? I am realizing now our pool was sold as “Salt Water READY” meaning I could add a SWCG but it was not included. I suppose I could also go with option 2 and upgrade to option 3 next summer.

our pool was sold as “Salt Water READY”
Don't fault yourself, the manufacturer was simply successful in its attempts to mislead you. They have studied the topic FAR more than you, before now.

Options 2 or 3 work great. You can add a SWG at anytime, like if the regular bills come in low next month and there's some wiggle room. Check with us first though, once youre looking at a couple of units so we can ensure you're getting a good value of FC production versus cost. :)

Thanks, that is really awesome to hear that I can add SWG at any time. The same company that sold me the "ionizer" sells this SWG below but I won't be buying from them. I am realizing I got a good deal on my shell, liner, and installation but the rest I need to fend for myself.

I am realizing I got a good deal on my shell, liner, and installation but the rest I need to fend for myself.
The pool, is a pool, and can't be harmful to the pool.

The quandary is navigating the shelves of chemicals and devices at the pool store that could be very harmful to the pool. Check here before you buy anything to put in or on your pool. We got you now.

Thanks for the tips! Ordered the Hayward Aquatrol at your recommendation. It's arriving on Wednesday. Still waiting for the backfill and electrical work so right now the water is just sitting. The pump and filter have not been hooked up but I will also remove that "ionizer" before I do.

Reactions: Hootz and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.