Timing of initial steps for a newbie

Hi again,
Another update and another really basic question. Now they are coming to backfill around my pool this weekend. It's supposed to rain all weekend but we shall see. After that the electrician will be in to get it wired and grounded to code.

Meantime the pool is still half-full and starting to turn a little green. Is this a salvageable situation? Will I be able to finish filling after the dirt and electric are done, hook up the filter and get this water clean?

Thanks!

You should be putting 5 ppm of liquid chlorine into the pool daily and stirring it in with a pool brush.

Reactions: synapsid
Hi Friends, inching closer to actually swimming this summer.

I was mistaken above, I got the Hayward aquuatrol RJ model, which I now understand is direct return jet attachment. Because my above ground pool is partially buried, there’s only about a foot between the return jet and the ground. Not enough space to mount the salt cell vertically as I need to. As I see it my options are:

1. Try to return it and get the HP which can mount horizontally
2. Add a flow switch to the RJ (if that’s even possible)
3. Dig a hole so the salt cell goes a little below grade
4. Mount it higher, away from the pool, and have a gentle short sweep of hose from the cell to the return jet.

If #4 is an option I would lean towards that. But I’m not sure if the cell has to be run DIRECTLY into the return or if there can be a few feet of hose between them.

Much of this is temporary as I will probably be hard piping next season.

Grateful for any recommendations you all have.

You cannot add a flow switch to the RJ model. The board does not support it.

The RJ cell must be mounted vertically and directly into the water as shown by the Installation Manual to properly vent the hydrogen gas the cell generates.

I think you are down to options 1 or 3.

An update, and an enormous thanks to those who have helped me here. I could not have set up this pool without the community here and I am very grateful to my fellow swimmers!

My equipment was hard piped yesterday and I almost couldn't believe my eyes when it all started working!

This morning I tested using the K-2006C. As a scientist myself, I really appreciate the test corroborating what i believe to be true based on what I've done so far.

Up until now I have just been stirring in liquid chlorine. This morning I tested and my initial CYA is zero, FC is 0.4, and salt is 400. I guess there is already some salt in the tap water around here.

I have a sock with 4 pounds of dry stabilizer turning to mush right now. It's a beautiful sight. Going out to add a couple bags of salt shortly. Kids excited, wife happy, all is well with the world.

Thanks again

Reactions: Newdude
You want to run your Aquatrol at the low end of the salt range. Around 3000 ppm.

Add salt in a few batches with testing in between so you don’t overshoot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want to run your Aquatrol at the low end of the salt range. Around 3000 ppm.

Add salt in a few batches with testing in between so you don’t overshoot.
aaaaaand....I overshot. I checked the pool math 100 times but i screwed it up.

Salt is at 3800, CYA over 100.

I suppose I am partially draining next.

The CYA over 100 is a bigger problem then the high salt.

Get your CYA down around 70 and see where the salt is.

The CYA over 100 is a bigger problem then the high salt.

Get your CYA down around 70 and see where the salt is.
Could I dilute by simultaneously filling from one hose and pumping out from another?

Edit: I turned the pump off and began draining. Once it's drained about 25% I will start refilling. I am hoping this will reduce the CYA and salt in one shot.

Last edited:
Looking a lot better today. Last night i drained 23% of the water and refilled it this morning. Testing with the K-2006C I now see:

CYA 80
Salt 2800
FC 3.5
CC 0.5
pH 7

I have still not turned on the SWCG - should I get that going next?

Sure. Set it to create at least 3 ppm FC per day.
I would add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now to get into your target level of FC based on your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.